What happens if the bookings are so low Carnival cancels

choppe

We were on one of the ships diverted from Bermuda in Sept. due to hurricanes.  Our 13-day Panama cruise on 5/3 is funded from the f.c.c. that Carnival gave us and now we have a big decision to make.  Although we are 4 senior citizens, we are not afraid of the virus because I think it's a bunch of hype stirred by the media.  People die every year from the flu and we're not running around screaming "the sky is falling".  I'm sick of hearing about a person being admitted to a hospital....it happens 24/7 every day of the year.  Stop already.  However, my concern is ports not allowing pax to debark.  We toured the ocean for a week and never got anywhere in September and it was boring beyond belief.  I don't want to cruise the Caribbean for 13 days  and miss Columbia, Costa Rica, Panama, Cozumel, Aruba and Grand Turk.  We have to decide by 3/31 if we want yet another future cruise credit.  I pray that all of you with cruises booked make the best decision possible for yourselves.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kellyann said:

We were on one of the ships diverted from Bermuda in Sept. due to hurricanes.  Our 13-day Panama cruise on 5/3 is funded from the f.c.c. that Carnival gave us and now we have a big decision to make.  Although we are 4 senior citizens, we are not afraid of the virus because I think it's a bunch of hype stirred by the media.  People die every year from the flu and we're not running around screaming "the sky is falling".  I'm sick of hearing about a person being admitted to a hospital....it happens 24/7 every day of the year.  Stop already.  However, my concern is ports not allowing pax to debark.  We toured the ocean for a week and never got anywhere in September and it was boring beyond belief.  I don't want to cruise the Caribbean for 13 days  and miss Columbia, Costa Rica, Panama, Cozumel, Aruba and Grand Turk.  We have to decide by 3/31 if we want yet another future cruise credit.  I pray that all of you with cruises booked make the best decision possible for yourselves.  

Cancel, don't go.

gary

8 hours ago, BeachChik said:

Not going to happen because there are plenty of people like me. I’ve been watching prices on the main three lines for big discounts. If I see one good enough I would absolutely book. 

The issue isn't getting on a ship - Its getting off if there is an outbreak of the virus and the after math of a crew that cannot be taken off or accept new passengers. I don't see hundreds of ships idle either but something may happen between nothing and cruise ship dooms day.

The good prices on the dream I saw yesterday are gone, already snapped up. People out of Galveston are booking.

Not one person on my april 26th roll call has mentioned cancelling other than now we can or saying did you see this and posting the new cancel policy.

In fact my cruise out of Galveston went up 3 weeks ago since I booked and hasnt dropped since. Of course I think texas less affected. 

I'm watching rates, I'd take some really cheap cruises and add to my loyalty pts. People will book and fill the ships if the price is low enough. Maybe calif will have trouble filling ships but Galveston is not.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

My husband and i were just discussing this. Last month he was in the hospital for 6 days from complications from the flu [we had been vaccinated. He actually caught the 2009 swine flu THIS year] I am also on chemo for life and diabetic, so there is no way that we would go on a cruise now.

However, if we were young and healthy, and able to work online, we would be taking advantage of the low fares BIG TIME. We would take a couple B2Bs, spend 2 weeks afterwards self isolating, and then do it again...and again...and again. 

the reason we would self isolate between cruises would be to make sure that though we personally would not be at high risk for being super ill,  we would not want to be part of the spread. 

7 minutes ago, vicky3vicky said:

My husband and i were just discussing this. Last month he was in the hospital for 6 days from complications from the flu [we had been vaccinated. He actually caught the 2009 swine flu THIS year] I am also on chemo for life and diabetic, so there is no way that we would go on a cruise now.

However, if we were young and healthy, and able to work online, we would be taking advantage of the low fares BIG TIME. We would take a couple B2Bs, spend 2 weeks afterwards self isolating, and then do it again...and again...and again. 

the reason we would self isolate between cruises would be to make sure that though we personally would not be at high risk for being super ill,  we would not want to be part of the spread. 

There is someone on the rcl virus thread who signed up for 13 weeks of b2b2b2b etc coming up soon.

I wish I could do more, but my elderly parents depend on me to drive. I sure hope self quarantine isnt necessary, but I plan on a modified version, like shop for them, but ,leave food in the garage, not go into their house. Or some such, depends on what the situation is like.. could be a lot better by the end of april

• Like 1

I just came off the Vista and it was SOLD OUT- literally every single berth and I checked a few times and never saw great numbers of rooms suddenly available as this issue has grown. There were 4900 passengers on board, it was probably the best cruise I've ever been on and none of us are dead yet-lol. Everything is getting blown out of proportion to get people to watch the news. WASH your hands BEFORE you eat with your hands. Just like with any virus and you'll be fine. 

• Like 1

I live in Florida too and getting the emails saying cruises starting at $45 per person or $60 per person.

I don't think the virus would hurt carnival. I'm one of the people if I could take a vacation during Florida busy season is take it fast hahaha but I work at a hotel so I don't cruise during this time until June -December.

Have fun cruisers on these discounts .

17 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I saw a post yesterday for a $44 cruise, wish I lived in florida.

• Like 1

How do you check to see if a ship is booked and how many passengers onboard? 

But yeah the news I don't watch they want you overly stressed and scared .

3 minutes ago, Jasonsterling said:

I just came off the Vista and it was SOLD OUT- literally every single berth and I checked a few times and never saw great numbers of rooms suddenly available as this issue has grown. There were 4900 passengers on board, it was probably the best cruise I've ever been on and none of us are dead yet-lol. Everything is getting blown out of proportion to get people to watch the news. WASH your hands BEFORE you eat with your hands. Just like with any virus and you'll be fine. 

Just now, Sagittarius traveler said:

How do you check to see if a ship is booked and how many passengers onboard? 

But yeah the news I don't watch they want you overly stressed and scared .

LOL- I just go on Carnival's website and look- 😄 In this case it said sold out when I was checking like two weeks in advance of the cruise because I had heard all these people were canceling and maybe prices were crashing and you could get a OBC. Before that I looked at the number of cabins still available. 

• Haha 1

Oh okay 😂 I thought it was a website like the one tracking the ship location I just like those sites while counting the days down until embarkation day like this site is good to pass time 

6 minutes ago, Jasonsterling said:

LOL- I just go on Carnival's website and look- 😄 In this case it said sold out when I was checking like two weeks in advance of the cruise because I had heard all these people were canceling and maybe prices were crashing and you could get a OBC. Before that I looked at the number of cabins still available. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jasonsterling said:

Vista is out of Galveston which I see some deals, but they quickly disappear.

I booked liberty OTS, maybe 3 weeks ago, grabbed a senior rate, and rates haven't dropped as low since. Galveston is a drive to port, and prices just arent as good as the other coasts even in the best of times.

Solo for 850, deck 10 cabin. So far people not afraid to cruise out of Galveston.

I did vista last cruise, glad you enjoyed it. Wanted rcl, and liberty OTS. Good price, but not like I see on the coasts. 

I'd take a really cheap carnival cruise if offered out of Galveston.  .. watching lol 

Just now, firefly333 said:

Vista is out of Galveston which I see some deals, but they quickly disappear.

I booked liberty OTS, maybe 3 weeks ago, grabbed a senior rate, and rates haven't dropped as low since. Galveston is a drive to port, and prices just arent as good as the other coasts even in the best of times.

Solo for 850, deck 10 cabin. So far people not afraid to cruise out of Galveston.

I did vista last cruise, glad you enjoyed it. Wanted rcl, and liberty OTS. Good price, but not like I see on the coasts. 

I'd take a really cheap carnival cruise if offered out of Galveston.  .. watching lol 

You're right- I think the region around Galveston is still pulsing to sail! I'm always checking for a deal too, although the standards rates are still pretty good. There are like 7 or 8 major metro areas within an eight hour drive including the fourth and fifth largest in the country DFW and Houston so I think you're right about that keeping the ships full. Plus people in this region just seem to be fun to hang out with. So unabashedly loud and active and just there for a good time. I've always had a good time out of Galveston.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jasonsterling said:

You're right- I think the region around Galveston is still pulsing to sail! I'm always checking for a deal too, although the standards rates are still pretty good. There are like 7 or 8 major metro areas within an eight hour drive including the fourth and fifth largest in the country DFW and Houston so I think you're right about that keeping the ships full. Plus people in this region just seem to be fun to hang out with. So unabashedly loud and active and just there for a good time. I've always had a good time out of Galveston.  

I agree, always find people to talk to.

I did oasis out of florida and it was so wierd. So many seemed to be from other countries. I just naturally say hi if I get on a elevator and someone is already on. On oasis seemed like most times they would say back no speak english. 

Ships out of Galveston are friendlier.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2020 at 12:36 PM, Jerseygirl1416 said:

The virus isn’t killing anyone that the flu wouldn’t kill.

That simply is not true. The mortality rate of coronavirus is at least 10 times the mortality rate of the flu.

The flu is much, much more prevalent however.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2020 at 6:52 PM, sgacruiser said:

The Vice President suggested today that the elderly seriously consider not cruising.   He was at the Fort Lauderdale convention center with the cruise ships in the background.

I would not consider any advice from Pence or Trump, both are idiots spreading misinformation. I have a cruise April 25, my husband and I are both 71 and we have no intention of canceling. If the corona virus kills me on the cruise, they can just bury me at sea! If the Vista is not able to port, that's fine, too. I just like being on the ship.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jasonsterling said:

Plus people in this region just seem to be fun to hang out with. So unabashedly loud and active and just there for a good time. I've always had a good time out of Galveston.  

I know people hate the part about getting from Houston to the port, but Galveston is my favorite port to sail from for exactly this reason.  We always have a good time the night before too..lots of fun places to hang out.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nlktx49 said:

I would not consider any advice from Pence or Trump, both are idiots spreading misinformation. I have a cruise April 25, my husband and I are both 71 and we have no intention of canceling. If the corona virus kills me on the cruise, they can just bury me at sea! If the Vista is not able to port, that's fine, too. I just like being on the ship.

Well at least you know the risks. Enjoy your cruise - hope you don’t have to eat you worlds and swim with the fish! 
politics aside. 

Not sure what this has to do with the topic at hand though. Is trump or pence canceling your cruise? 

22 hours ago, Host Carolyn said:

Please try to stay on topic😕  There is a "Carnival Corona Virus" thread of you would like to discuss the flu, virus, debate etc. Thank you,!!

In these turbulent times, thanks for letting the conversations continue.  

11 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

That simply is not true. The mortality rate of coronavirus is at least 10 times the mortality rate of the flu.

The flu is much, much more prevalent however.

Not true at all.  Nobody knows the mortality rate of the corona virus because there isn't enough of a history.  Almost all the people that have died, have died WITH corono virus, not necessarily BECAUSE of corona virus.  Most had at least 2 pre-existing medical conditions.  Not to mention, there are plenty of cases that are unreported because the people have no or very minor cold-like symptoms.  It may end up being that way, but nobody knows.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, nlktx49 said:

You are the type of people who would be a pleasure to cruise with. Enjoy your trip!

On 3/7/2020 at 8:57 PM, SRQbeachgirl said:

I was in a meeting with our local health officials this week and they said to expect to hear about many, many more confirmed cases, but only because more tests are becoming available and people are being tested. Most people who get it will never be tested because they will only have some sniffles or mild cold symptoms and won't see a doctor. They said that there was no reason to curtail activities unless you are a high-risk, but to just take typical precautions (frequent hand-washing, etc).

Wow. Public officials with common sense.  I didn't believe such creatures existed. 

Here, the school board is seriously considering closing schools for at least a month and having schools in summer instead. The teachers will be the only ones there! 

I looked at taking a last minute cruise on the pride next week. But prices ate sky high!   Hardly any cabins available. 

On 3/7/2020 at 7:26 AM, bingomamma19 said:

They will not cancel cruises, they will sell rooms at discounted prices if they are available to get as many people on board.    I am sailing April 4th on the Breeze and most of our roll call is still going..only 2 have cancelled.   

If you are elderly and have underlying conditions, i agree you should cancel.  If you are healthy, there is nothing to worry about.   Have you ever feared the flu when you cruise?  Because that affects millions of US citizens and kills 12k to 60k a year in the US alone.

This is a blip in time, created by the media coverage.   All will be fine.

I 100% agree with you. We are going in May and have no fear or intentions of cancelling. It's the FLU! Last year or any year for that matter had the Media announced every time someone got the flu or died from it. It would look very similar to what is happening now.