Mass Cancellations on Riviera

kitty9

Just got back to our cabin after booking a holiday cruise and Ms Goodman, one of the Ambassadors, told us that as of 3:45 pm, Riviera has received 161 cancellations for the cruise starting March 11.  We are on that cruise and will be sailing with a very empty ship, kind of like the Seabourn ships.  

Oceania will also start new embarkation procedures including temp scans ( we did NOT have our temperatures taken when we embarked on Feb 26) and if any passenger or crew shows an elevated temp they will be taken to an isolation spot for further screening.  

I am about ready to make that phone call....heart broken but I DO have lung issues having had lung cancer less than a year ago.  And it is scary to wonder what medical care might be available in some of these smaller Caribbean islands?  Anyway...that is my reason for cancelling....OH! and I am over 60 also!  Which seems to be the demographic where the numbers start to look scarier.....

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, kitty9 said:

Just got back to our cabin after booking a holiday cruise and Ms Goodman, one of the Ambassadors, told us that as of 3:45 pm, Riviera has received 161 cancellations for the cruise starting March 11.  We are on that cruise and will be sailing with a very empty ship, kind of like the Seabourn ships.   

I've noticed a few cancellations on my roll call for Tahiti-Hawaii-SF April 14. Makes me wonder how many cancellations in general are health issues/or age related, vs. fear.

Strange that my kids are all late 30's early 40's and range from mildly urging us to cancel to strongly pleading. And all we can say back is "hell no". We are older but very healthy and will deal with whatever illness that arises. Hopefully by the time we cruise quarantines will be a thing of the past. Interesting times.

We just finished with our cancellation.  How it works is that the cruise fare is a credit for a future cruise that you must book within the year, and use before December 2022.  Any money that was charged to your credit card for excursions, La Reserve, cooking classes, etc., will be credited to your card shortly.  We are very sad to have to have cancelled, but we as well are in that demographic, and with news continuing to get worse, we are not willing to take the chance.  

• Like 2

What’s even more interesting is that the couple who was in line ahead of us were inquiring if they could cancel their cruise on Mar 11, since they were doing a B2B.  We will not cancel and are hopeful that O will do everything in their power to keep the sick ones off the ship. 

So far, one couple from my roll call for Marina June 26 Copenhagen to Stockholm has canceled. They did so because they cannot afford to risk being quarantined not out of virus fear. They are keeping their airline tickets for now and may rebook the cruise if things die down. I think that is a great idea.

4 hours ago, Petoonya said:

I've noticed a few cancellations on my roll call for Tahiti-Hawaii-SF April 14. Makes me wonder how many cancellations in general are health issues/or age related, vs. fear.

Strange that my kids are all late 30's early 40's and range from mildly urging us to cancel to strongly pleading. And all we can say back is "hell no". We are older but very healthy and will deal with whatever illness that arises. Hopefully by the time we cruise quarantines will be a thing of the past. Interesting times.

We also have kids in 30's through early 50's......a total of 9!  And their responses vary as do those from your kids.  My main consideration is my health  and age as I am 63, hubby is 75 and I had half of a lung removed 8 months ago....so feel as though I cannot really risk this virus and being far from good medical care.  In the "mix" of my 9 kids....there are also 2 physicians, a couple of attorneys, and various other titles....including our youngest who is severely affected by autism.  And that is yet one more reason that I chose to cancel.  In the event that I or my husband became seriously ill while on this cruise - it would fall to one or more of our kids to either come to our aid OR at least all of them would be horribly worried and affected as well.  I feel that they have suffered enough so far in my cancer journey/fight....and would not want to put them in the position of having to fight the cruise line or other powers that be should be become seriously ill and put off of the ship or quarantined or any other outcome that may arise out of this virus that is currently affecting so many.

Don't get me wrong....as it breaks my heart to cancel this trip.  But I also know that it would not only be US that would be wondering what every cough, feeling of a possible fever meant.....it would also mean that my poor kids would have it on their mind for 15 days worrying about every news report and phone call - as it may mean that mom OR dad were in trouble.  Again - many mixed emotions over the cancellation as I am NOT assured that my health will remain so that we are even able to take ADVANTAGE of the full 100% credit towards a FCC......just trying to figure it all out in my head and express that it is not only ourselves that we have to keep in mind when making these decisions.....

BEST to all of you that are moving ahead and cruising!!!  PLEASE send us all photos and updates, ok?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, chloemonkey said:

And that is yet one more reason that I chose to cancel.  In the event that I or my husband became seriously ill while on this cruise - it would fall to one or more of our kids to either come to our aid OR at least all of them would be horribly worried and affected as well.  I feel that they have suffered enough so far in my cancer journey/fight....and would not want to put them in the position of having to fight the cruise line or other powers that be should be become seriously ill and put off of the ship or quarantined or any other outcome that may arise out of this virus that is currently affecting so many.

Oh, my heart goes out to you. This has to be very hard for you but I truly believe with everything YOU DID THE RIGHT THING. With all you and your husband have been through it is truly not worth the risk. I'm just an RN but if I were in your position I know I would be very grateful that we can cancel without penalty.

There will come a better time for you and your husband to travel. I thank my lucky stars that my husband and I are healthy but I never take it for granted. Heartfelt gratitude for your story and hearing about your beautiful family and the tenderness you hold in your heart for them and your husband. You are held in high esteem by this fellow cruiser.

Edited by Petoonya
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Oh, my heart goes out to you. This has to be very hard for you but I truly believe with everything YOU DID THE RIGHT THING. With all you and your husband have been through it is truly not worth the risk. I'm just an RN but if I were in your position I know I would be very grateful that we can cancel without penalty.

There will come a better time for you and your husband to travel. I thank my lucky stars that my husband and I are healthy but I never take it for granted. Heartfelt gratitude for your story and hearing about your beautiful family and the tenderness you hold in your heart for them and your husband. You are held in high esteem by this fellow cruiser.

And you are someone that I hope to sail with!......very soon!  As we have to use up this credit, right?  Thank you for your kind words and even more so for all that you do in your profession!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chloemonkey said:

And you are someone that I hope to sail with!......very soon!  As we have to use up this credit, right?  Thank you for your kind words and even more so for all that you do in your profession!

And who knows maybe we can sail together! Husband and could also have health problems, or my cruise could yet be cancelled. (Tahiti is being very sticky in the last few weeks.) Life's a beautiful yet complex puzzle isn't it? Much love to you.

We were on a B2B Celebrity Asian cruise in Jan/Feb the day before the second cruise was due to embark they changed the end port to Singapore from HK and denied boarding to anyone who came through HK. With the offer of a 100% FCC 900 passengers of 2300 cancelled. 

It is a terrible time for the cruise industry .

Hi we  are flying in from London on Tuesday to board Riveria on Weds , for those peeps that have serious health issues , I can understand why you cancel. My husband and I do not so , we are still going , and very much looking forward to it 

Hi all,

We are debating if we should cancel or not. We are 61 and 62 years old. I am curious if someone on the ship now can tell me what they are doing different to stop the spread of viruses on the ships. Also have you had any problem with ports restricting you. Any info would be appreciated . We are on the March 11 riveria and have to make a decision soon.

59 minutes ago, ricka47 said:

We're about 95% certain that we're going as well.  Does anyone know what the upgrade chances might be when we check in?

no time like a crisis to get a good deal!  I would say it is improved with each cancellation.  Right now I say 57%.  Good luck!

1 hour ago, Highseasquest said:

Hi all,

We are debating if we should cancel or not. We are 61 and 62 years old. I am curious if someone on the ship now can tell me what they are doing different to stop the spread of viruses on the ships. Also have you had any problem with ports restricting you. Any info would be appreciated . We are on the March 11 riveria and have to make a decision soon.

Husband and I are enjoying a lovely cruise right now on Riviera.  Will be sailing today from St. Barts in 20 minutes on our way back to Miami (with two sea days.).

The biggest difference i have observed is that there absolutely is no self-serve anywhere on the ship.  (I have not visited Baristas coffee bar so cannot report firsthand about its nibbles.). There also is much encouraging of washing hands in hot water for at least 20(?) seconds plus use of the hand sanitizer which is even more prominently displayed everywhere with staff stationed by the Terrace Cafe entrance to request that you use it as you enter and leave.

No port restrictions whatsoever; all the same as previous visits. 

Hope this helps!

Edited by CintiPam
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Cintipam,

Thank you for the update. I am glad to hear about no self service. I've always thought the handling of utensils at buffets were a major transfer of germs between passengers. With the lower number of passengers due to cancellations we are feeling alot better about the trip.

7 minutes ago, Highseasquest said:

Hi Cintipam,

Thank you for the update. I am glad to hear about no self service. I've always thought the handling of utensils at buffets were a major transfer of germs between passengers. With the lower number of passengers due to cancellations we are feeling alot better about the trip.

I agree - we're going!

Our cruise on the Marina is not until May 1st, so we are waiting till the very last day before we cancel.  Things could completely calm down during the next 6 or 7 weeks and we may get to go.  I’m not so worried about getting sick on the ship, rather it’s the ports where anyone could come in contact with someone who is contagious or sick.  I live in Houston and the 8 people who have it here were all on a Viking river cruise to Egypt and they all came home with it and are now hospitalized.  Plus who wants  to worry about getting sick.  I can cruise anytime.  But for anyone not worried, you should go and have a great time.  I just have an important family event 4 days after I get home and I don’t want anything to make me miss that.

• Like 1