Mass Cancellations on Riviera

kitty9

On 3/7/2020 at 9:10 PM, chloemonkey said:

We also have kids in 30's through early 50's......a total of 9!  And their responses vary as do those from your kids.  My main consideration is my health  and age as I am 63, hubby is 75 and I had half of a lung removed 8 months ago....so feel as though I cannot really risk this virus and being far from good medical care.  In the "mix" of my 9 kids....there are also 2 physicians, a couple of attorneys, and various other titles....including our youngest who is severely affected by autism.  And that is yet one more reason that I chose to cancel.  In the event that I or my husband became seriously ill while on this cruise - it would fall to one or more of our kids to either come to our aid OR at least all of them would be horribly worried and affected as well.  I feel that they have suffered enough so far in my cancer journey/fight....and would not want to put them in the position of having to fight the cruise line or other powers that be should be become seriously ill and put off of the ship or quarantined or any other outcome that may arise out of this virus that is currently affecting so many.

Don't get me wrong....as it breaks my heart to cancel this trip.  But I also know that it would not only be US that would be wondering what every cough, feeling of a possible fever meant.....it would also mean that my poor kids would have it on their mind for 15 days worrying about every news report and phone call - as it may mean that mom OR dad were in trouble.  Again - many mixed emotions over the cancellation as I am NOT assured that my health will remain so that we are even able to take ADVANTAGE of the full 100% credit towards a FCC......just trying to figure it all out in my head and express that it is not only ourselves that we have to keep in mind when making these decisions.....

BEST to all of you that are moving ahead and cruising!!!  PLEASE send us all photos and updates, ok?

Sounds like you made the right decision!

On 3/8/2020 at 5:39 PM, WESTEAST said:

It is interesting that with the magnitude of cruise lines currently (or since January) sailing the world that to date (other than the river cruise in Egypt) only the Princess line has had COVID-19 outbreaks. 

Also interesting to note that the Grand Princess which docked in Oakland had 21 confirmed cases and 19 of the 21 were crew members.  Princess has a problem!

16 hours ago, crooz4fun said:

Also interesting to note that the Grand Princess which docked in Oakland had 21 confirmed cases and 19 of the 21 were crew members.  Princess has a problem!

Yes, and they are taking care of their problem by shutting down for 2 months or so.  Probably overacting but just following the media hype.  19 cases out of about 3600 people on board.  Most likely get more noro cases on most sailings.  Take care and stay safe.  

Those mentioning future  French Polynesia/South Pacific cruises in your posts, we are currently on Regatta and have been diverted back to Tahiti , cruise over 3 days early . Missed Bora Bora rather gutted. I believe the next 4 cruises are also now cancelled, French Polynesia government closed islands to cruises as of this morning. 

19 hours ago, RJB said:

Yes, and they are taking care of their problem by shutting down for 2 months or so.  Probably overacting but just following the media hype.  19 cases out of about 3600 people on board.  Most likely get more noro cases on most sailings.  Take care and stay safe.  

What you call media hype is reality.  Take off your rose-colored glasses there in Florida and get real. Or do you think this pandemic is fake news?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LAexNY said:

What you call media hype is reality.  Take off your rose-colored glasses there in Florida and get real. Or do you think this pandemic is fake news?

Looking thru very clear glasses.   A major problem but nowhere  near the media hype. 

• Like 1