Royal Princess Update

Cannavaro

13 minutes ago, caribill said:

I certainly do not have the answers to these questions and possibilities, but neither do I think does Princess.

Sadly, I don’t think any travel providers — be they cruise lines, air lines, resorts, land tours, or hotels have answers right now.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, ams cruiser said:

For those that think test kits and testing are easy to come by, here is a post from the Grand thread:

The other question I have is where are all of these test kits coming from?  I understand this is a priority, but I live in the East Bay, down the highway from where the Grand will be docking, in Alameda County.  My friend’s elderly mom was on the Grand sailing to Mexico before this Hawai’i cruise.  She has been sick with cold and flu-like symptoms since her return, which are now getting better.  When she heard the news about the Placerville passenger on her sailing having passed away, she contacted her doctor, and was told she didn’t meet the criteria for being tested, but she could call county health.  There she was informed there is a shortage of tests.  She still has not been tested, and of great concern to her are the people who have been exposed to her since her return. To clarify, because she wasn’t feeling well, she hasn’t been out and about, but she has still been around family members whose jobs entail working with the public in schools, grocery stores, etc.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, npcl said:

Actually in a case like this, if they have concerns that they may have contracted the virus, all one needs to do is to contact the Public Health Department in their county.  They will then arrange for testing, if they decide, the patient meets their criteria.

If one actually goes to their local doctor, then they might get tested, but it will probably be a commercial test that they will get charged for. As well as potentially infecting others in the Doctors office, test facility, etc.

In the US the focus on outbreaks such as this are structured to be mostly local  with County, State and then federal tiers.  The action level is mostly the local agencies.  They do the testing, the patient tracking, monitoring, etc.  The States level provides resources and some over site.  The Federal level is mostly consultative with protocol development, and advisory in nature, with little direct action responsibility.  The system is designed for most of that to be local.  

This is the first time in 50 years that you have actually had quarantines directed at the federal level.

Actually, in reality it’s not that simple.  The getting tested part, that is.  My friend’s mom was on the Grand Mexico sailing with the Placerville patient that passed away.  She has been ill since her return, with cold and flu-like symptoms, which are now getting better.  She stayed home and took the normal precautions for a regular illness.  When she heard about the death, she contacted her doctor, and was told she didn’t meet the criteria, but she could call the county.  Alameda County (where the Grand will dock) also said, given the test kit shortage, she didn’t meet the criteria. (I don’t know the details of why).   She is very concerned, if it is the Corona virus, about the exposure others have had to her, including family members who work in public schools, grocery stores, etc.

Edited by ams cruiser
Clarity
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I live in FTL and this is what all our local media is saying. Yes they are showing no signs but that the coast guard and the CDC are waiting for the tests results. It is not off the coast of Miami it is off the coast of Dania Beach which is the next town south of FTL

On another note we had 2 more cases of the VIRUS reported yesterday here in Broward County. Broward is FTL and where the port and the airport is BOTH cases are cruise related.

Cruisng to me right now is a personal choice. I canceled my TA and would not get on a cruise ship right now if it were FREE but that is just me. I can control what I do but what about the other 3000 people? I keep thinking if you are quarantined what about jobs, pets etc. No way would I take the chance. One person posted somewhere kinda like playing Russian Roulette and I agree

Kathy

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Cindy said:

Sadly, I don’t think any travel providers — be they cruise lines, air lines, resorts, land tours, or hotels have answers right now.

Exactly - There are no easy answers.  The answer depends upon the stage.  At this stage with containment breaking down, the goal is to limit spread as much as possible.  That goal is directly opposed to high density travel such as cruise ships.  I do not see any effective way for the cruise lines to be able to deal with this, especially if they book to capacity.

On the Royal the only action taken was to have everybody fill out a questionaire  prior to boarding.  No temperature checks, no directing people to medical if they showed signs of being ill.  Just pretty much a business as usual approach.  The problem is if they are actively looking, which would be to mitigate spread, the very act of finding a case would cause additional problems.

At this point, if spread continues, and if it does not drop in summer like other URI infections, I have serious concerns about the economic viability of the cruise industry. 

As far as hotels and airports go the public is already having an impact.  Was at LAX yesterday from 9:30 am until 5 pm.  The airport was the emptiest (terminals 6, 7, 8 ) I have ever seen it.  It was as empty during the day as it was at midnight when I flew in the week before.

Edited by npcl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spyro1952 said:

The test was developed but the reagent in the test was defective.  Some how the ball got dropped, nobody is sure how or why and developing a new reagent for test has developed in this massive delay.  Normally developing a test can be done rather quickly as soon as they get genetic markers

You really should clarify though that “rather quickly” in the case of test kit development means a matter of weeks or months, and not days. It also involves having base supplies and reagents available as well as packaging, shipping, dispersement, and testing capabilities. We saw what happened when it was rushed without proper quality controls.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ams cruiser said:

Actually, in reality it’s not that simple.  The getting tested part, that is.  My friend’s mom was on the Grand Mexico sailing with the Placerville patient that passed away.  She has been ill since her return, with cold and flu-like symptoms, which are now getting better.  She stayed home and took the normal precautions for a regular illness.  When she heard about the death, she contacted her doctor, and was told she didn’t meet the criteria, but she could call the county.  Alameda County (where the Grand will dock) also said, given the test kit shortage, she didn’t meet the criteria. (I don’t know the details of why).   She is very concerned, if it is the Corona virus, about the exposure others have had to her, including family members who work in public schools, grocery stores, etc.

Well it is that simple, once the kits are in place.  As you can tell with your own comments.  Doctor directed her to County, county indicated protocol and prioritization of its resources due to limited kits.  Once kits are available that protocol will be loosened up.

Part of the reason for protocol is to make sure the resources that are available are used effectively.

Once commercial kits are available one will have the option of paying for it, but as I indicated in my original post those without insurance, that do meet protocol, can and will get tested for free by county health departments.

So the focus on County Health is the norm in the US, issue remaining is kit limitations.

Edited by npcl

15 minutes ago, rabin1 said:

I live in FTL and this is what all our local media is saying. Yes they are showing no signs but that the coast guard and the CDC are waiting for the tests results. It is not off the coast of Miami it is off the coast of Dania Beach which is the next town south of FTL

On another note we had 2 more cases of the VIRUS reported yesterday here in Broward County. Broward is FTL and where the port and the airport is BOTH cases are cruise related.

Cruisng to me right now is a personal choice. I canceled my TA and would not get on a cruise ship right now if it were FREE but that is just me. I can control what I do but what about the other 3000 people? I keep thinking if you are quarantined what about jobs, pets etc. No way would I take the chance. One person posted somewhere kinda like playing Russian Roulette and I agree

Kathy

I went from having 4 Princess cruises and 1 HAL cruises booked to zero.  Canceled 3 south pacific cruises  that were in March April time frame in Feb.  Booked the Feb 29 - Mar 7 cruise on Royal on Feb 15.  Figured that was about as late as I was willing to cruise, at the rate the spread was occurring.  Just glad I did not book anything later.  Canceled by remaining 2 cruises (Norway in August, and TA next spring) while waiting in the airport.  Figure if the virus fades in the summer I can always re-book them, but in the meantime wanted to limit potential economic risk.

The stress of worrying about potential problems, now outweighs the fun of the cruise in my opinion.  I suspect that it could have just as easily been that the decision concerning the crew member on the Royal been made earlier and we could have been blocked from disembarking yesterday.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, npcl said:

I went from having 4 Princess cruises and 1 HAL cruises booked to zero.  Canceled 3 south pacific cruises  that were in March April time frame in Feb.  Booked the Feb 29 - Mar 7 cruise on Royal on Feb 15.  Figured that was about as late as I was willing to cruise, at the rate the spread was occurring.  Just glad I did not book anything later.  Canceled by remaining 2 cruises (Norway in August, and TA next spring) while waiting in the airport.  Figure if the virus fades in the summer I can always re-book them, but in the meantime wanted to limit potential economic risk.

The stress of worrying about potential problems, now outweighs the fun of the cruise in my opinion.  I suspect that it could have just as easily been that the decision concerning the crew member on the Royal been made earlier and we could have been blocked from disembarking yesterday.

i was thinking that yesterday, that the incoming cruise passengers were lucky to get off and away the way things were changing. 

i was interested in hearing more from the passengers on the cancelled cruise. How long it took to get away from the terminal, get transportation. 

So back to the Royal... does anyone have an update? This week's trip was cancelled. The crew is currently being checked for the virus. When are results due back? Will they be checked again mid-week or week's end to insure no one has been carrying the virus, but not showing signs of illness? Since all the passengers left yesterday, if any of them have the virus, they will probably not know until they show signs of illness.

We are on the March 28th coastal so been following this thread closely. Have not cancelled yet. Have CFAR insurance so I believe I have to the very last minute (vs 72 hours) to do so. If Princess cancels the cruise, does a different policy fall into place? Cash back vs FCC? Insurance reimbursed as well?

With so much scrutiny of the ship and crew, I am hoping that means the chance of someone being ill is less. Or perhaps wishful thinking on my part. 

6 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

Great question.  While I certainly have contributed to this thread going somewhat off topic, I would love to know more about the Royal situation (since I embark on 3/14) but there doesn't appear to be anyone chiming in.

Don't worry. I was on the 2/22 sailing on the Royal when the crew member from the Grand boarded. I'm still watching the web like a hawk for the test results and will update accordingly. I'm sure the 3/14 sailing will depend on that as well. 

48 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

The response from Princess thus far seems to have been if they cancel, you get a refund (minus what airlines or insurance might pay), and an FCC of a varying amount depending on how last minute they cancel.  I think it has been in the 25-100% FCC range.

If Princess cancels my cruise, why would I have to use my insurance? Shouldn't they be using their insurance? I think they should give me back the cost of the insurance as well as the fare I paid - in cash. Any FCC, understandably, should be a credit towards a future cruise, based, as you note, on the time frame of cancellation. Otherwise I would have, in essence, two cruises to use  by the end of 2021.

1 hour ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

Great question.  While I certainly have contributed to this thread going somewhat off topic, I would love to know more about the Royal situation (since I embark on 3/14) but there doesn't appear to be anyone chiming in.

Are you still thinking of going? We are on next week, too and I keep going back and forth. Now that the US issued a travel advisory it might be out of my hands since I'm not sure insurance covers travel if there is an advisory in place.

6 minutes ago, cruisingram1 said:

If Princess cancels my cruise, why would I have to use my insurance? Shouldn't they be using their insurance? I think they should give me back the cost of the insurance as well as the fare I paid - in cash. Any FCC, understandably, should be a credit towards a future cruise, based, as you note, on the time frame of cancellation. Otherwise I would have, in essence, two cruises to use  by the end of 2021.

Depends on what the terms of your insurance are. Check your policy and tour agreement with Princess. 

18 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Are you still thinking of going? We are on next week, too and I keep going back and forth. Now that the US issued a travel advisory it might be out of my hands since I'm not sure insurance covers travel if there is an advisory in place.

I think travel insurance would cover events that take place after the insurance was purchased but before the event was known. Having said that, it seems like most travel insurance doesn't cover things like the coronavirus.

4 hours ago, PekingeseLady said:

I wonder if they got a negative test back on the one Royal crew member???  Has anyone heard anything on that issue?  I heard the Panoramas guest test came back negative, but nothing about the Royals crew member.

On the Royal 3/7 roll call their mentioned how at 8:30pm last night the last 35 B2B folks needed to be off the ship at 9:30pm.  This why I'm guessing their test came back negative.  Kind of rude to kick them off like that. IMHO

I really wish they would tell us what happened with the test on the Royal crew member... or members.

We were disembarking next to them, on the Emerald in San Pedro last Saturday. 

2 minutes ago, debsjc said:

I really wish they would tell us what happened with the test on the Royal crew member... or members.

We were disembarking next to them, on the Emerald in San Pedro last Saturday. 

So funny what a week does... Everyone on our ship(Royal) last Saturday was eyeing the Emerald princess like she had the virus since it came back to port two days early LOL

But yes.. as the op for this thread, I won't stop posting here till I find out the test results of that crew member.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cannavaro said:

So funny what a week does... Everyone on our ship(Royal) last Saturday was eyeing the Emerald princess like she had the virus since it came back to port two days early LOL

But yes.. as the op for this thread, I won't stop posting here till I find out the test results of that crew member.

We were back 12 hours early,  apparently because someone had a broken hip. However I didn't throw out any of my leftover snacks, just in case we were suddenly under quarantine! 

3 minutes ago, that said:

Has the crew member even been tested yet?

Its quite the multi million dollar question right now considering the Royal can't sail until they have clearance of the test by the CDC. Of course Princess was very vague about it. Not sure if they didn't have a test available or they tested and the results haven't come back, etc... But the Panaroma passenger was tested yesterday before disembark and they received the negative test results last night already.... So if they were tested yesterday, I would assume we should have the results by now... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cannavaro said:

Its quite the multi million dollar question right now considering the Royal can't sail until they have clearance of the test by the CDC. Of course Princess was very vague about it. Not sure if they didn't have a test available or they tested and the results haven't come back, etc... But the Panaroma passenger was tested yesterday before disembark and they received the negative test results last night already.... So if they were tested yesterday, I would assume we should have the results by now... 

I'm assuming if it was positive, they would be wanting to contact the passengers that have disembarked yesterday before making an announcement.  You know how everyone jumped all over Princess for not keeping them in the loop when it was broadcast all over the news over the last few days.  The cruise was cancelled so they probably are not rushing anything at the moment.  Also, if that test result did come back positive, now, they probably have to also test those that came in close contact with him/her, especially any roommates.  This is just all speculation, though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

so the official response is that the onboard medical team checked for a cough and fever when the crew member joined...how reassuring is that? 🙄

add to the fact they're claiming the crew member in question had no contact with affected crew or pax on the Grand...bit of a wild assumption given they only know for sure 19 crew and 2 pax tested positive out of several thousand total...🤔