I successfully canceled my May cruise - here is advice for all

11 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

You are welcome everyone and I am happy I started thread. Rach of you has to decide on your own especially for overseas travel.

As part of my credit I got my deposit back and port fees too.

RCI is treating cancels using penalty schedule and calculation is based on credits and FCC. No need to worry if you did not have insurance. But if you bought it, you do lose it.

Please everyone when you do call, KEEP YOUR COOL and speak nicely. 

The lady I had was very emotional telling  me I was the first calm and pleasant person she had in several hours. She mention the anger is hard on the agents who are trying to help.

They are stressed and so be gentle and DO THE MATH yourself before you call and as a reminder, GET THE CANCEL number.

Me thinks cruises will book up for later in year and next year. So be on the alert and keep a positive outlook.

Thank you for the information and I appreciate your reminder for people to speak nicely.  I understand that this can be stressful for people trying to change vacations, esp when money is involved and the logistics of all travel.  But the call takers I'm sure are doing the best they can with the situation.  I'm fairly certain I will be canceling, I just have to make sure my friend didn't already get her airfare, I don't want her to lose any money on that.  I'm going to write down your pointers so I don't forget that cancel number (I'm sure I would otherwise).  😊  

2 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I do not want to cancel but I work in a hospital.  They have basically said I will be not be allowed to return to work for 2 weeks post cruise if I leave the US for any reason.

So you can't go on a cruise with 3000 to 5000 people but you can go to Disney World with 50,000 people?  Or a sporting event with 100,000 people?

Please help me understand.

It's looking like we'll cancel our bookings for our cruise out of Galveston in 13 days (March 22nd).

I know that all of our pre-purchase stuff (dinners, soda package, excursions, gratuities) will get refunded to our credit card, but how will the cruise fair be handled being that we are quite far past final payment.

What gets refunded versus FCC?  Is it port fees and taxes that are refunded, and the balance is FCC?

Dan

22 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

So you can't go on a cruise with 3000 to 5000 people but you can go to Disney World with 50,000 people?  Or a sporting event with 100,000 people?

Again, the fear is not contracting the virus, the fear is quarantine and not being able to get back home. If someone at Disney gets the virus they are not going to lock everyone in Disney and not allow them to leave. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, MoniMommy said:

Again, the fear is not contracting the virus, the fear is quarantine and not being able to get back home. If someone at Disney gets the virus they are not going to lock everyone in Disney and not allow them to leave. 

Now THAT is a horrible thought

Edited by molly361
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

It's looking like we'll cancel our bookings for our cruise out of Galveston in 13 days (March 22nd).

I know that all of our pre-purchase stuff (dinners, soda package, excursions, gratuities) will get refunded to our credit card, but how will the cruise fair be handled being that we are quite far past final payment.

What gets refunded versus FCC?  Is it port fees and taxes that are refunded, and the balance is FCC?

Dan

Port fees and taxes are refunded.  The rest of the cruise fare is FCC

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, MoniMommy said:

I was responding to "They have basically said I will be not be allowed to return to work for 2 weeks post cruise if I leave the US for any reason."  This has nothing to do with ship quarantine.  I was questioning how it's not OK to go on a cruise but it's OK to go to Disney, etc.

I have three cabins booked for the May 3rd sailing (eastern caribbean). I had to cancel one of the cabins (the rest of us are playing it by ear especially with the new cancel policy with RCI). So I cancelled my daughter and her family and received 25% back to my credit card and 75% FCC for them. Port fees and taxes for them will also be refunded to me.

Unfortunately RCI announced this on Friday May 6th...my cut off date for 50% was May 4th...Oh well at least I got some cash returned.

Now am hoping American Airlines will start considering a flight voucher as well....Any thoughts if domestic flights may do this too? We're LAX-MCO.

1 hour ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Dan

FCC is only base fare and if you are at 100% penalty. Then all base fare goes to FCC. The rest except protection insurances will be credit to you card.

Prepaid stuff will be a separate transaction on credit card.

Peace out and read a good book

32 minutes ago, Ashland said:

I have three cabins booked for the May 3rd sailing (eastern caribbean). I had to cancel one of the cabins (the rest of us are playing it by ear especially with the new cancel policy with RCI). So I cancelled my daughter and her family and received 25% back to my credit card and 75% FCC for them. Port fees and taxes for them will also be refunded to me.

Unfortunately RCI announced this on Friday May 6th...my cut off date for 50% was May 4th...Oh well at least I got some cash returned.

Now am hoping American Airlines will start considering a flight voucher as well....Any thoughts if domestic flights may do this too? We're LAX-MCO.

AA will do vouchers after a penalty of 175 or more depending on price. You WONT be out the full amount

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

I was responding to "They have basically said I will be not be allowed to return to work for 2 weeks post cruise if I leave the US for any reason."  This has nothing to do with ship quarantine.  I was questioning how it's not OK to go on a cruise but it's OK to go to Disney, etc.

I am thinking folks feel like outdoor walk around park might be safe.

Then again if kids are not dying from this virus, perhaps they might feel safer.

FOX news had a panel on today and I am sute the video is on the web. Very informative

6 minutes ago, shopping is fun said:

Does anyone know if/how any Royal Caribbean Visa Rewards cruise discounts ("purchased" with points) will be handled? Are points just lost or reinstated or cashed out (refunded)?

I am thinking the points will reverse just like my Wells Fargo will change if I do return.

But wait until things slow down and call.

Them let us know.

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

AA will do vouchers after a penalty of 175 or more depending on price. You WONT be out the full amount

Sorry but a bit confused. Flights were approx $250 pp and we certainly have no idea when they can fly next as the flights that far out aren't available. So would they just get a voucher for future travel minus how much would the fee be at this point as their not due to fly until May 2nd. Sooo confused and was hoping AA would offer no fee for this.

Edited by Ashland

So, if you cancel a cruise that has FCC on it,  you receive a partial refund but the FCC amount is considered used and lost. So for everyone who is getting FCC now when they cancel if they put it down on a future cruise and for some reason have to cancel that cruise, do they lose all of that credit?

16 hours ago, Kjr5155 said:

This is exactly what we were wondering!! Thank you so much for posting.

Did they give you any grief trying to better your rate? Did you cancel and rebook on the same call or did you call back? What are you going to do with the overage, can this apply as an onboard credit?

No grief at all - what they did was held the new cabin ( booking number ) and said they’d ring me back as cancellations were backing up in the system and sure enough within 2hrs they rang me.

So i believe I’ll get a £300fcc in a week or so - so I actually paid slightly more for a better cabin and larger onboard credit

1 hour ago, shopping is fun said:

Does anyone know if/how any Royal Caribbean Visa Rewards cruise discounts ("purchased" with points) will be handled? Are points just lost or reinstated or cashed out (refunded)?

We too used $200 worth of points.  I’m hoping we get them back but not counting on it.  I’m sure it won’t be cash but crediting them back so I can use them would be great.  I’ll report back after I know.

The DH and I discussed this again over lunch.  We will wait 10 more days just to see if anything changes in a positive direction.  That gives me about 5 days to get everything canceled in time for 25% back.  We will plan an abbreviated get away within the state at that time.  Not leaving the state will I hope will avoid any mandatory quarantine issues. It’s certainly not what we had planned but under the circumstances it’s the responsible thing to do. ( I hate being responsible sometimes. If we were retired we’d be going!)

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, RosieRoo said:

So, if you cancel a cruise that has FCC on it,  you receive a partial refund but the FCC amount is considered used and lost. So for everyone who is getting FCC now when they cancel if they put it down on a future cruise and for some reason have to cancel that cruise, do they lose all of that credit?

That's my understanding. That's what Royals website says. On this board I have been told that a FCC can be applied to a cruise even if its paid in full and past Final Payment. So I am thinking of waiting until a week or so before applying the FCC to my future sailing.

I just got our cancellation confirmation from our "Big Box" TA. The math is definitely not right.  We are less than 30 days away from sailing.  I would expect a FCC of the total less taxes/port fees.  If I reduce the amount refunded by the taxes/port fees, the refund is still about $529 short!  I also didn't get a cancellation number.  Ugh.  Not sure how to talk this through with someone.  

Thank you to the original poster and all who have posted such helpful information. We cancelled our May cruise today with half cruise fare returning to credit card and the rest as a future cruise credit certificate.  We almost forgot we were still in the 50% penalty zone.  We did lose insurance payment but worth it for peace of mind as we are both in the vulnerable age category, etc.  Glad Royal decided to handle it this way.  We will be making a new reservation as soon as the Government gives the all clear signal regarding cruise travel.  If we were younger, we wouldn’t have cancelled.  

46 minutes ago, Mrsberri0909 said:

I just got our cancellation confirmation from our "Big Box" TA. The math is definitely not right.  We are less than 30 days away from sailing.  I would expect a FCC of the total less taxes/port fees.  If I reduce the amount refunded by the taxes/port fees, the refund is still about $529 short!  I also didn't get a cancellation number.  Ugh.  Not sure how to talk this through with someone.  

Look at your booking confirmation.  Cruise fare should be easily identifiable.  If you had purchased travel insurance, that is not refundable.  If you had prepaid gratuities, that will be refunded to your original method of payment.