Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Oceansaway17

I successfully canceled my May cruise - here is advice for all

Recommended Posts

I canceled but got got no cancellation email. I was told I would get one. Anyone get an email after canceling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried calling as soon as the office was open.,  I tried calling at 5AM EST, 6AM EST, 7AM EST and that was when the phones went online, 7am.  I only had to wait about 15 minutes at that point to talk to someone.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MoniMommy said:

I canceled but got got no cancellation email. I was told I would get one. Anyone get an email after canceling.

I did not and they only said we would get the cruise credit in an email.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MoniMommy said:

I canceled but got got no cancellation email. I was told I would get one. Anyone get an email after canceling.

 

Did you check your spam folder?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully the end of my Saga.... My cruise credit reflected initially was totally incorrect.  It must have been my haste to get the cancellation rolling that the TA wasn't ready for it.  They hadn't cleared their system of the penalties or something.

 

The TA called me back today.  He got the RCCL person on the phone and cancelled our cruise (sad face).  We will receive 100% in Future Cruise Credit and our tax/port fees back via credit card.  Allow 10 days for all to process. The bummer is that the FCC will be broken down by person/cruiser. This means we will either eat some of the credit (or use in another cruise down the line) and probably have to cough up more cash for the re-booking.  It looks like Passenger #1 is "full fare", then Passenger #2 is 50% off, and then Passenger #3 is 50% of that.  I will have to hunt for the same deal to make this work.  Very important:  Get your Cruise Cancellation Number from them!  It means nothing if you don't have this as a reference.  Stay healthy everyone.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where is the cruise cancellation number?  I got a confirmation email from my TA.  Just has my regular booking number?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

 

Did you check your spam folder?

Yes. It wasn't there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, MoniMommy said:

I canceled but got got no cancellation email. I was told I would get one. Anyone get an email after canceling.

I wish you had read my page 1 of this thread.

 

You ask for it verbally on the phone or have your TA do it.

 

I would never use  the big box store going forward for cruises so that you can deal with issues directly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mrsberri0909 said:

I called RCCL yesterday and was on hold for about an hour. When they answered, they said I needed to go back to the TA for the discrepancy.  So then I called the TA, was on hold for 90 minutes, and got the newest guy on the team that was no help.  He got a supervisor on the phone (but not on the call with me), and they decided they needed to call RCCL to figure out the discrepancy.  Of course, RCCL wasn't open anymore when I was talking to them at 730pm PST last night.  What a nightmare.  The TA left it at they would call RCCL today and get back to me sometime this afternoon.  I am hoping my case is isolated and that I get it fixed.  I don't want to be out $900 due to cancelling (especially with the RCCL cancellation clause right now).

They are open 24hrs if you call the number on my first comments.

 

Any one who is thinking of cancelling who used a TA, please have s discussion on what and how YOU want things handled.

Look at math and tell TA you want RCI to VERBALLY tell TA the confirmation number.

 

I no longer trust TA and I will handle my own travel plans as I trust myself more.

Good luck and start booking your own stuff on line as it helps when things go wrong

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Figure this thread makes as much sense as any to run thoughts by folks, if anyone is willing to oblige.

 

Facts:

  • Booked via a certain warehouse club
  • 4 family members
  • Sailing departs 7/18, so still outside of 90 days AND within the "Cruising with Confidence" window
  • Paid $1,000 NRD deposit at time of booking (all on card, no credits used)
  • We do NOT want to cancel.  We want to go on this ship and sailing still, but....

Issue:

  • A same-category suite is now available in a better location for a substantially lower price.

I tried calling the warehouse travel agency today to discuss switching rooms/lower price and was on hold for 3 hours before being unceremoniously auto-disconnected.

 

I have started to think I should just cancel the current booking using their online form and take the FCC.  We would be able to make use of it in 2021.

 

QUESTION: does it make sense (and at least avoid the hassle of not having to wait around on hold) to just use the online cancellation form to cancel current booking in exchange for FCC and create a completely new booking?

 

I'm thinking this might be the way to go, but I would love if somebody could point out things I may not be considering.  Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What happens to other perks we were getting...on board credit and a free specialty dinner per cabin?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Don'tNeedAName said:

Figure this thread makes as much sense as any to run thoughts by folks, if anyone is willing to oblige.

 

Facts:

  • Booked via a certain warehouse club
  • 4 family members
  • Sailing departs 7/18, so still outside of 90 days AND within the "Cruising with Confidence" window
  • Paid $1,000 NRD deposit at time of booking (all on card, no credits used)
  • We do NOT want to cancel.  We want to go on this ship and sailing still, but....

Issue:

  • A same-category suite is now available in a better location for a substantially lower price.

I tried calling the warehouse travel agency today to discuss switching rooms/lower price and was on hold for 3 hours before being unceremoniously auto-disconnected.

 

 

 

 

Well can you visit the warehouse store in person and get a manager?

I would try later in day or first thing when they open.

And please consider doing your on bookings in future yourself directly so you have control.

Good luck

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, kapcruiser said:

What happens to other perks we were getting...on board credit and a free specialty dinner per cabin?

Me thinks perks are sunk and gone.

More important to use FCC for  a cruise that will offer perks say next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am booked on April cruise to Costa Maya & Cozumel.  The cruise was comped from my local casino.  What are the chances of getting another comp from RCCL if I chose to cancel now?  Will probably keep the cruise although my travel partner has health issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Well can you visit the warehouse store in person and get a manager?

I would try later in day or first thing when they open.

And please consider doing your on bookings in future yourself directly so you have control.

Good luck

 

 

Appreciate the thoughts.  The travel agency line of business is operated separately, and to my knowledge does not have a physical presence in my area.  Nonetheless, timing is an issue for me this week, so likely would not be able to visit in person either way.

 

Called right at 8:00EST when they opened this morning and left the phone on speaker next to my desk for 3 hours until 11:00.

 

As for future bookings, I will weigh the vast majority of my positive experiences with them more than this instance.  I get a lot of value back via in-store credit that I make good use of (depending on your definition of good).  It's more than worth it to have to deal with canceling and rebooking in this rare instance.

 

I'm not holding anything against the warehouse club here, just want to get thoughts on whether I'm missing something.

 

If we are able to use the credit in 2021, I view it as I might as well just cancel this sailing and create a whole new booking.  Just worried that my thoughts are too simplistic here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I wish you had read my page 1 of this thread.

 

You ask for it verbally on the phone or have your TA do it.

 

I would never use  the big box store going forward for cruises so that you can deal with issues directly.

 

I did read it. I asked for a cancellation number. She said I would get an email. I should have insisted before hanging up. I booked directly with Royal so I didn't have to go through a TA or bug box store.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

They are open 24hrs if you call the number on my first comments.

 

Any one who is thinking of cancelling who used a TA, please have s discussion on what and how YOU want things handled.

Look at math and tell TA you want RCI to VERBALLY tell TA the confirmation number.

 

I no longer trust TA and I will handle my own travel plans as I trust myself more.

Good luck and start booking your own stuff on line as it helps when things go wrong

 

 

This is why I dont use a TA. What they offer me us never much because the most I will spend on any vacation is 2500 (and that includes tax). Since I'm not a big spender there are fewer perks. Also, I have seend price rise a drop with less than an hour. Dont want to have to wait for a TA to get a price drop. I have been fortunate enough to find a price drop for my last 3 cruises.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, following up on the above... 

 

I tried calling in again around 10:00, and was able to speak with someone after about 50 minutes of waiting.  Thus, I guess my advice if you don't get to be the very first in line, then try calling later in the evening.

 

I suppose that is the limit of my advice as it pertains to this thread, insofar as I did not have to "cancel".  They were able to change rooms and honor the price drop with me on the phone.  If I offered anything else, it's the usual advice of WAIT FOR EMAIL CONFIRMATION BEFORE ENDING THE CALL!

 

As it stands, since our cruise is toward the end of July, we are still planning on taking our chances.  Good luck to everyone as you decide what's right for you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, comet11 said:

Here is my refund. So what people are saying, I  will get $322.86 from taxes on CC, and the rest will be FCC? Also look at the price break down between passengers. I will really suck if I get $1984 and the other 2 people get half that. The new cruise for next year we are looking at will not be close to $1900 for me.

 

 

Yes you will get 3 FCCs, one in the name of each passenger, for the amount shown in the "cruise package" line. Taxes/fees credited to CC. 

 

Your canceled cruise was booked during a "BOGO 60" promotion. (First person full price, second person 60% off, 3rd person 30% off.) When you book the replacement cruise it should also be during a BOGO 60 promotion, and if you were Traveler 1 on the original booking you need to be Traveler 1 on the new booking. This will distribute the price of the new cruise exactly as it was for the old cruise. Right now they have a "30% Off All Passengers" promotion where the price for passenger 1 and passenger 2 is the same amount. 

 

If your next cruise is a less expensive cruise and you don't use all of the FCC then the leftover can be applied to another cruise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kapcruiser said:

What happens to other perks we were getting...on board credit and a free specialty dinner per cabin?

 

The dinner is gone. The OBC depends on where it came from. If it was NextCruise OBC you will keep it and apply it to the replacement cruise. Other OBC is gone, although this policy could change and they let you keep that OBC too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mrsberri0909 said:

It looks like Passenger #1 is "full fare", then Passenger #2 is 50% off, and then Passenger #3 is 50% of that.  I will have to hunt for the same deal to make this work. 

 

Passenger 1 full price. 

Passenger 2 60% off of full price.

Passenger 3 30% off of the third passenger price (passenger 3-4 base price is less than passenger 1-2 base price).

 

You will not be able to find the same pricing right now. Maybe next week or the week after RC will switch to BOGO 60. Here is the current promotion, every passenger gets the same discount:

 

 

RC3.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was told by RCCL Rep that as of 2 PM Tuesday they are only offering FCC no matter what penalty phase.  Taxes and fees refunded, that's all.  No big deal for us as we will be cruising before Dec 2021, but it may not be so good for everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, velmasue said:

I was told by RCCL Rep that as of 2 PM Tuesday they are only offering FCC no matter what penalty phase.  Taxes and fees refunded, that's all.  No big deal for us as we will be cruising before Dec 2021, but it may not be so good for everyone.

I called at 1:14 and was on the phone for 43 minutes. I was told I would get half as a refund and half as FCC. I confirmed the numbers with her but I have nothing in writing. I did n ou t receive the confirmation email I was promised. I hope they honor my refund. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MoniMommy said:

I called at 1:14 and was on the phone for 43 minutes. I was told I would get half as a refund and half as FCC. I confirmed the numbers with her but I have nothing in writing. I did n ou t receive the confirmation email I was promised. I hope they honor my refund. 

Sounds like you got your call in before the 2 PM meeting or whatever it was.    Good for you!

 

I called tonight and am 80 days out so should have been 25/75  FCC/Refund  but they would not budge.  It doesn't matter for rules but we are Diamond Plus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...