First time in the Retreat (equinox). What to expect compared to NCL Haven?

javalsu

I'm setting sail in a few weeks on the Equinox, and I booked a suite in the retreat.  I've done the Haven on NCL a few times so I'm wondering how it compares. 
I understand the restaurant isn't available for lunch everyday.   But how does the in suite dining work?  On NCL you can get food from any specialty restaurant as long as you pay. 

But overall, what else can I expect from the retreat? 

Thanks

1 hour ago, javalsu said:

I'm setting sail in a few weeks on the Equinox, and I booked a suite in the retreat.  I've done the Haven on NCL a few times so I'm wondering how it compares. 
I understand the restaurant isn't available for lunch everyday.   But how does the in suite dining work?  On NCL you can get food from any specialty restaurant as long as you pay. 

Thanks

The Retreat is the group name for three separate areas. A restaurant (Luminae), a lounge (Retreat which used to be called Michael’s Club) and a closed off deck area (Retreat Deck). The areas are not all together. The Retreat Deck unfortunately has no water feature (pool or jacuzzi) as its update was not completed owing to some issues.

Luminae is open for breakfast daily, lunch on boarding day and sea days and each evening. The Retreat lounge has time of day appropriate light snacks and the Retreat Deck also offers a light lunch menu which is limited but we found it very good. If you are in a RS or PH you have unlimited speciality dining at no cost. In other suites you pay for entry, it may be worth looking at a dining package. All rooms have access to a standard room service menu supplemented by the MDR menu during opening hours. The speciality restaurant menus are not usually available for service in suite. Your in suite dining will be served by your butler. You can request course by course delivery. 

I have not cruised Haven so I can not compare but from what I know the negative will be the lack of an exclusive suite pool and the fact the suite facilities are not all together. On the positive (and the reason why we choose to cruise Celebrity) is that the full ship is a pleasure to be on. Lots of lovely seating areas, pleasant bars, nice Solarium and we enjoy the food selection ship wide from the buffet to the speciality restaurants. To us it is the best of both worlds.

In room services do vary depending on how high a suite you are in. Just ask if you have any further questions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have done both.  On Celebrity, you get access to the suite lounge- which we really loved.  Drinks all day- tea and sandwiches and desserts at 4:00 daily- some entertainment, etc.  You also get access to Luminae which is a very good suite only restaurant.  However, the suite deck isn't completed and not at all good.  It is a very hot and sunny deck that looks pretty- due to a problem with the ship that had to be repaired the time spent when the ship was refreshed impacted the renovations of the suite deck.  No bar, no lunch-no water feature-    So we never used it nor did many guests.

We liked the haven- many shady areas , a small pool and a couple of hot tubs-  A nice bar and restaurant.  However, on NCL if you leave the Haven area- it is very crowded and the ships overall are disappointing- the entertainment however is better on NCL, but the food in the specialty restaurants disappointing.  Also found the entry level suites small and expensive.

Overall a Celebrity fan- the Edge is outstanding.  

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

However, the suite deck isn't completed and not at all good.  It is a very hot and sunny deck that looks pretty- due to a problem with the ship that had to be repaired the time spent when the ship was refreshed impacted the renovations of the suite deck.  No bar, no lunch-no water feature-    So we never used it nor did many guests.

There is no bar, but there is a drink menu as well as a limited lunch menu.

The bigger issue is the wind up there; depending on the direction of the wind compared to the ship's direction, it can be unusable.

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

Have done both.  On Celebrity, you get access to the suite lounge- which we really loved.  Drinks all day- tea and sandwiches and desserts at 4:00 daily- some entertainment, etc.  You also get access to Luminae which is a very good suite only restaurant.  However, the suite deck isn't completed and not at all good.  It is a very hot and sunny deck that looks pretty- due to a problem with the ship that had to be repaired the time spent when the ship was refreshed impacted the renovations of the suite deck.  No bar, no lunch-no water feature-    So we never used it nor did many guests.

We were on Equinox this past August - pros of the Retreat Sundeck - quiet, private, with lots of attentive staff with not a lot to do. You have heard the negatives. We did not get the lunch, it was just too hot by then, but we had cold towels, cool snacks, all sorts of drinks. There were actually way too many staff members and some may have been moved by now. If you like the sun, you will like the Retreat deck.

you do have to be able to manage stairs to get there.

We loved the Retreat Lounge, I prefer it to Michaels on Reflection, was actually disappointed in that after the Retreat. 

Just a correction. The reason the retreat area on deck wasn't completed was due to the last minute dry dock change from Freeport to Spain. The Freeport drydock was knocked out of commision when a crane fell down. Because it was last minute, to fit in the schedule they had to cut some stuff out, plus they couldn't ship everything to Spain in time. 

I did the Haven.  Very disappointed.  Food for the most part was dreadful.  Bar area lacked the class, sophistication and overall ambiance of the Celebrity Michael's Club.  I have not been on the "revolutionized" Celebrity.

Lumanae food was very good, Michael's club staff was well trained.  We would walk in and there was always a hello.  Even though we tipped in the Haven, we were ignored.  We loved that the butler would be at the big shows holding seats for the suite passengers.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/8/2020 at 5:42 AM, javalsu said:

Thanks

What date is your sailing? 

We have sailed in the Haven three times (twice on Breakaway and most recently on Escape).  We love the Haven experience and find that Celebrity could take some pointers from NCL in this department.  Though I haven't sailed on Edge, my impression is that it is the most similar to NCL than anything you will find on the revolutionized ships with regard to the suite experience.  We love them both for different reasons.  We were in a RS on Equinox before the revolution so can't really comment on how it is now except to say that the private sun deck does not sound appealing due to the lack of shade, bar, or water feature.  In summary, my feeling is, if you're in a suite on either cruise line, you will walk away feeling very pampered and satisfied.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 1

Well, frankly speaking NCL Haven got some of the best suites and cabins out there. I havent been cruising too much, but NCL Haven looked like it was way cleaner, more organized and well equipped. Everything, including bars and restaurant were in a walk distance. They some good reliable internet on board a very nice central part of it where you could get coffee and chill. There are not so many exclusive cruisers like NCL Haven. Hope I will get on board next year

• Like 1

I sailed the NCL Haven thinking it would be wonderful.  What a disappointment compared to Celebrity.  We thought the food in Luminae was wonderful.  Menus change their daily.  On the NCL Haven, same menu every day.  Disappointing to see a small buffet with lox, bagels, sweet pasteries in the morning as well as ordered items.   On Celebrity, everything is served to you.  Big difference in the quality.  Bread was awful on NCL.  

We will never sail NCL Haven again after the disappointment.  Seemed the guests who were on Carnival, loved the Haven.  Other guests that had been on other lines were very disappointed.  

If traveling with children, NCL may be better.  However, if sailing as a couple, Celebrity has more class and sophistication.

These are my opinions.  Please, no flaming.....

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Well, frankly speaking NCL Haven got some of the best suites and cabins out there. I havent been cruising too much, but NCL Haven looked like it was way cleaner, more organized and well equipped. Everything, including bars and restaurant were in a walk distance. They some good reliable internet on board a very nice central part of it where you could get coffee and chill. There are not so many exclusive cruisers like NCL Haven. Hope I will get on board next year

Actually, while the haven had it's plus's= just didn't like the breakaway food- design of the ship and crowds- our foward facing suite- which was nice- had a body odor stench for a few days.  Perhaps the people prior to us- were stinky- wearing dirty clothes and not bathing.  So was it really cleaned properly?

We did enjoy the Haven pool and deck- but the Edge has that beat now.  The deck is beautiful has great facilities- some shade- perhaps not enough- but some.

Edited by Cruise a holic

• 11 months later...
On 3/7/2020 at 11:42 PM, javalsu said:

Thanks

I was on the Equinox in a Celebrity Suite.  I have been on NCL Haven many times.  No comparison however I can explain. The Suites Only Restaurants are same great places. Except Haven has a fix menu every day.  The Lumina the menu changes.  I also thought the Lumina was all three meals.  The real differences is the Equinox Courtyard is a retrofit. Just a private sundeck.  The Haven was made to be a full Ship-with-in-a Ship from day one. That being said, the grass area on the top deck on the Equinox is spectacular, just not private so hard to get a chair on the smoking side. 

13 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I was on the Equinox in a Celebrity Suite.  I have been on NCL Haven many times.  No comparison however I can explain. The Suites Only Restaurants are same great places. Except Haven has a fix menu every day.  The Lumina the menu changes.  I also thought the Lumina was all three meals.  The real differences is the Equinox Courtyard is a retrofit. Just a private sundeck.  The Haven was made to be a full Ship-with-in-a Ship from day one. That being said, the grass area on the top deck on the Equinox is spectacular, just not private so hard to get a chair on the smoking side. 

Have also done both.  IMO the Haven had a much better location.  We really liked the small pool and hot tub and indoor outdoor deck options for sun or shade.  While the restaurant on Celebrity, offers both the main diningroom menu and the Luminae menu- we still like the speciality restaurants better for most dinners.  We also ate dinner in the specialty restaurants on NCL- they were fair-  Overall, we much preferred the celebrity sailings- on the Edge /apex the suite decks are wonderful- not on the other celebrity ships.

NCL in my opinion if not in the Haven is much to crowded and poorly designed.

• Like 1