Cruise Critic Community
chrism23

Who is cancelling/Who is Not?

We have one booked for late September this year ... from Italy ... so we are hoping that it should be under control by then.

We have another booked for September next year .... surely to goodness it will be sorted by then,

As an aside, we flew into Florence on Sunday when all was OK ....

On Sunday evening they closed all the museums ....

On Tuesday Italy went into lock down and made all restaurants close at 6pm ...

There are more armed police than tourists ... it is deathly quiet ... no pun intended 🙄

Flights are being cancelled left right and centre but we are told by HMG FCO that we must self isolate for 14 days when / if we ever get home😷🤒

Our flight home is on Thursday lunchtime and at the moment it is still showing as being on schedule, but the earlier flight has been cancelled.

Silversea got back to me via email about the flight penalty. He said that we would be assessed whatever penalty the Airline usually does, which is normally around $300 per person.

If that's the case, I will likely wait it out longer. 

6 minutes ago, Bucephalus53 said:

Silversea got back to me via email about the flight penalty. He said that we would be assessed whatever penalty the Airline usually does, which is normally around $300 per person.

Thanks.  So would they refund the $699 per person per way for the business class upgrade and just charge us the $300?  

2 minutes ago, pausulli said:

Thanks.  So would they refund the $699 per person per way for the business class upgrade and just charge us the $300?  

That's the way I took it. Please don't let me be the final answer though!

I will risk losing $600 for the opportunity to still (possibly) go in mid-May. 

10 minutes ago, Bucephalus53 said:

That's the way I took it. Please don't let me be the final answer though!

I will risk losing $600 for the opportunity to still (possibly) go in mid-May. 

Me too but I don't want to risk losing $2800.  We are holding out hope that the end of May will be okay.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, Bucephalus53 said:

Thanks for the information. We do not travel until the end of September, Lisbon to Barcelona. We also booked the business class upgrade. I guess I can plan to wait it out to August and hope the situation improves.  My next thoughts are to shore excursions. The 180 day mark is coming up soon and I was planning on purchasing a few from SS. I wonder whether than money is refundable or hold out awhile to book? I would imagine they would not sell out with all this uncertainty.

Even though that is what info I received, please check your individual situations for yourself. I would hate to have given anyone information that may be different for your particular situation. 

So to summarize, I am led to believe that I will get full amount future credit for a cruise thru 2021 and will lose any penalties that the airlines may apply for canceling the flights that SS is booking for me in next four days. 

I thought re the excursions, that you have just booked them at 180 days - as I have done for our cruise. And if you don't cruise you are never charged, the booking would get cancelled?

Agreed worldtraveller.  @travelingbagheera I'm pretty sure you need not worry about Silversea excursions, go ahead and book the ones you want.  Very easy to change till close to departure, and no need to pay in advance based on our two SS cruises.  Perhaps a more experienced cruiser can confirm, but I'm pretty sure about this one. 

9 hours ago, BeeMinor said:

At the same time, Fauci said in a press conference yesterday evening that there's no reason for young, healthy people not to cruise--so talk about mixed messages.

Seems to be a direct contradiction to his interview Sunday night on the 60-Minutes television program, let alone what the Dept. of State and CDC recommended the same night.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Perhaps a more experienced cruiser can confirm, but I'm pretty sure about this one. 

IME, SS excursions are reserved before the cruise, but the $$ are not charged until on board and the cancellation deadline has passed. Typically you can cancel until 24-48h before the excursion. 

Only a few special excursions are charged and paid for in advance. Have never done one of those types; from what I've seen they are either mid-voyage land excursions (overnight stuff) or very unique (read: expensive) excursions. 

Edited by jpalbny

A group of us on the Shadow leaving Rome (ouch) 23 April is meeting our TA and a SS Rep on 17 March to discuss issues. I’ll wait for the meeting but not going to make this cruise. We are booked w SS Air so it’ll be interesting to see what  the refunding will be and what the new itinerary will be with all of Italy closed. 

this cruise was out of Rome/no go; stop in Amalfi/no go; Sicily/no go; Malta/no go; west Sicily/no go; Sardinia/no go; Palma/a maybe; Barcelona/a maybe. Not the greatest Itinerary....now!!

den

4 hours ago, Bucephalus53 said:

Even though that is what info I received, please check your individual situations for yourself. I would hate to have given anyone information that may be different for your particular situation. 

So to summarize, I am led to believe that I will get full amount future credit for a cruise thru 2021 and will lose any penalties that the airlines may apply for canceling the flights that SS is booking for me in next four days. 

Lots of airlines are now dropping change/cancellation fees so you may not need to pay anything for cancelling. Check with the airline they are booking for you. 

50 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

A group of us on the Shadow leaving Rome (ouch) 23 April is meeting our TA and a SS Rep on 17 March to discuss issues. I’ll wait for the meeting but not going to make this cruise. We are booked w SS Air so it’ll be interesting to see what  the refunding will be and what the new itinerary will be with all of Italy closed. 

this cruise was out of Rome/no go; stop in Amalfi/no go; Sicily/no go; Malta/no go; west Sicily/no go; Sardinia/no go; Palma/a maybe; Barcelona/a maybe. Not the greatest Itinerary....now!!

den

Oh Denny, that was a fabulous itinerary!!

I hope I haven't missed it in this thread but how long after cancellation is it currently taking for the refund to hit credit cards ?

53 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

I hope I haven't missed it in this thread but how long after cancellation is it currently taking for the refund to hit credit cards ?

Hi Michael, you have not missed it. I don't think anyone has give the answer. 

I just cancelled my crossing:classic_sad:....the only thing I lost was 300.00. (I can live with that). I am getting a FCC

and hoping to sail this summer (somewhere LOL).

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

I just cancelled my crossing:classic_sad:....the only thing I lost was 300.00.

Why did you lose $300?  The SS website specifically states for sailings departing until May 31st, 2020 passengers can cancel their booking up to 2-days prior to departure and receive A FULL REFUND.  So, was your loss really from your cruise fare?  Or, was it because you had paid for an air upgrade or deviation fee?  Or, something unrelated to the cruise or air fare?

6 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Why did you lose $300?  The SS website specifically states for sailings departing until May 31st, 2020 passengers can cancel their booking up to 2-days prior to departure and receive A FULL REFUND.  So, was your loss really from your cruise fare?  Or, was it because you had paid for an air upgrade or deviation fee?  Or, something unrelated to the cruise or air fare?

Sorry, I forgot to post that part...…..it was the airfare. Not the cruise fare. Got a full refund for that:classic_smile:

Yes, I did. I was only needing a flight one way since it was a crossing. I was flying home from Madrid.

The 300.00 was the cancellation fee---since the airlines are still flying.

Lois, did they let you change your air to another cruise booking? We're on the FLL-LIS crossing and our TA doesn't think we get anything back on our upgraded to biz fare--hope she's wrong.