Here’s the bottom line on deciding to cruise for now

cl.klink

It seems to me that, based on the last days’ of information, the following makes sense. (1) For elderly, and/or those with health risks, it may be wise to give a cruise a miss for a while.  (2) All should continue to use good hygiene practices. (3) Given the few cases with bad outcomes (including some very bad outcomes), relative to the large denominators involved, the risk of cruising on X or otherwise, for healthy people, is very low, both in terms of A person’s own health and in terms of public / community health. (4) As a practical matter, whatever does or does not make sense about what we should or should not do at this time, the situation has made people nervous, hence governments and organizations and those that oversee them are nervous. The latter means that soon, and already it’s starting, the greater risk for most of us who may cruise is not the health risk. Rather, the greater risk of cruising is a logistic one. An entity such as an airline, a port authority, a government, an employer, etc. may say that if you have travelled in this way or that, you will not be alllowed to do something, or that you’ll need to be quarantined for a time, and so on. So, for most people, the biggest risk of cruising (and probably some other other activities, very soon) is not about a health risk. Instead, the biggest risk is that an entity will make the consequences of having cruised very unpalatable. 

- Joel

• Like 15

This, exactly. Being quarantined away from my son and my dogs, the loss of income, the inability to have any basic control over my movements and activities... those are far more troubling to me than the virus. But I'm not currently in a high-risk group. We have ten days to watch and see how things go. I’m glad that I have the option to cancel. And I’m glad that vacation plans are my biggest worry right now. Many people are facing much larger issues, and they have my sympathy and best wishes. 

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, cl.klink said:

It seems to me that, based on the last days’ of information, the following makes sense. (1) For elderly, and/or those with health risks, it may be wise to give a cruise a miss for a while.  (2) All should continue to use good hygiene practices. (3) Given the few cases with bad outcomes (including some very bad outcomes), relative to the large denominators involved, the risk of cruising on X or otherwise, for healthy people, is very low, both in terms of A person’s own health and in terms of public / community health. (4) As a practical matter, whatever does or does not make sense about what we should or should not do at this time, the situation has made people nervous, hence governments and organizations and those that oversee them are nervous. The latter means that soon, and already it’s starting, the greater risk for most of us who may cruise is not the health risk. Rather, the greater risk of cruising is a logistic one. An entity such as an airline, a port authority, a government, an employer, etc. may say that if you have travelled in this way or that, you will not be alllowed to do something, or that you’ll need to be quarantined for a time, and so on. So, for most people, the biggest risk of cruising (and probably some other other activities, very soon) is not about a health risk. Instead, the biggest risk is that an entity will make the consequences of having cruised very unpalatable. 

- Joel

agree however just out of curiosity, what is the youngest age you would consider “elderly”? (& no offense taken!!)

• Haha 1

I cancelled the May Caribbean cruise my wife and I were booked on this morning and for me yesterday's events (Grand, Royal and now Regal Princess along with the Carnival ship) sealed the deal for me. We are both in our 50's, have over 40 cruises so have been to all the ports multiple times and was looking forward to a week or R&R. Not a potential week of worry and confusion.

• Like 3

I'm somewhat amazed at the fact that "over 60" is considered "elderly".  Lots and lots of folks in their 60's are still working every day and are in no way what I would consider elderly.  I guess perception of elderly changes as one gets older!!

• Like 19

I agree I’m 61 this year still working and go to the gym everyday and run 5k.  I’m on no medication. I’ve never smoked and my blood pressure is in the ideal range so why am I classed as high risk? Provided my cruises at end of August and November and my land holiday to Thailand in June aren’t  cancelled I  fully intend   to go.!

• Like 11

Chronological age is unrelated to biological age which consists of factors such as diet/nutrition, exercise, habits such as smoking, stress, chronic conditions. Using a blanket age as a cut-off for cruising, traveling, working, etc. is wrong.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TMLAalum said:

Chronological age is unrelated to biological age which consists of factors such as diet/nutrition, exercise, habits such as smoking, stress, chronic conditions. Using a blanket age as a cut-off for cruising, traveling, working, etc. is wrong.

Agree. Elderly is a concept more than a specific age. 

- Joel

• Like 2

The point is that there are plenty of very unhealthy people in their 60s who need to hear "you shouldn't go" in order to not risk it.  Same reason why you've started seeing age restrictions on shore excursions. 

At 65, my own step-dad has already had multiple heart attacks and a stroke.  Still, he's the exact type who would risk going on a cruise right now (because it isn't strenuous) unless someone with some authority was telling him it is very high risk for him in his situation.  If there's going to be an across-the-board age, I think 60 is a great place to start.  If you are over that age and have no health concerns, then good for you.

47 minutes ago, jcpc said:

I'm somewhat amazed at the fact that "over 60" is considered "elderly".  Lots and lots of folks in their 60's are still working every day and are in no way what I would consider elderly.  I guess perception of elderly changes as one gets older!!

We have 3 people over 60 (way over 60) running for President.  

However, I guess they shouldn't go on a cruise?????

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

What I am trying to wrap my brain around is:

1.  What is the probability of the ship that I am on being quarantined?

2.  What is the probability of missing ports?

1.  Seems rather low right now but is increasing as we speak.

2.  Seems higher but is also increasing.

I just look for more predictability and this week has been a bad week for the cruise industry.  I will wait 3 weeks and see what it looks like then.

• Like 1

I think Pence said the other day that anyone 60 or older is considered to be in high risk category and should avoid cruising / traveling till they get this virus under control.

I said to my Dh I bet that is the feds not wanting alot of extra costs to medicare  medicaid etc.  

Not saying it's right at all.  Everyone should know their health and if at risk or dont want the chance of being quarantined then dont cruise.

More ports across the world are denying ships entry and i suspect that will continue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jcpc said:

I’m amazed also, I’m pushing 80, and I still travel to Brooklyn every day, put in 8 hours for 5 days, but I’ve cancelled our cruise not because of age, but we really can’t relax on a cruise now!

• Like 3

I haven't cancelled yet.

I suppose if I had, I might be on here posting that others should also.  It would make me feel better about my decision.

Or maybe I'd let others decide for themselves.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, lostchild said:

And by next year, hopefully there will be a vaccine out.

A little research may be in order.    All reports are that a vaccine will take 1 year to 1 1/2 year to complete trials before can be used on humans.    Even if created today.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, sippican said:

I'm just not sure what you are implying here? Are you feeling that those of us over 60 do not clean ourselves as thoroughly as those younger? An if so, how did you come to that conclusion?

I will say with over 50 cruises that I have seen many of older men not or barely washing their hands after using the bathrooms on the cruise ship.

I'm 61 in good health and we are retired. Our next cruise is in May. We are spending time in England before and after the cruise. My problem is that we will be staying with friends after the cruise. I dont want to expose friends over 80 in great health or my parents after we get home. My fathers health is not great at 84. And we live in the Seattle area.

Edited by bigbenboys
added words

2 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

I will say with over 50 cruises that I have seen many of older men not or barely washing their hands after using the bathrooms on the cruise ship.

This is also what I have observed exiting the restroom and more prevalent on our Princess and Holland America cruises. 

9 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

Unfortunately it’s not just older men who don’t wash their hands, on cruise ships or in other public venues on land. I don't know how many times in my life I have seen women, some younger, walk out of bathroom stalls (both on ships and off) and not wash their hands. It's frightening. So the demographic extends to all groups, men, women, old and young, IMO.

• Like 8