Dr. Fauci: "Above all, don't get on a cruise ship."

SumoCitrus

17 minutes ago, Aj101 said:

Do the small Caribbean Islands have ICU space and ventilators to handle an outbreak.... 😞.      

No. I lived in the Caribbean and have many friends who still do - and even in the US Virgin Islands, hospitals and healthcare in general are substandard to nonexistent, even for routine care.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

No. I lived in the Caribbean and have many friends who still do - and even in the US Virgin Islands, hospitals and healthcare in general are substandard to nonexistent, even for routine care.

Well that ought to be a consideration ....

• Like 1

Still no “famous” email telling me we have to have a doctor’s approval to cruise on HAL. My cruise is barely two weeks away. If I’m going to need a doctor’s approval to cruise I wish the email would come. Has any HAL poster actually said they got the email? So far I’ve only read about friends getting it. That seems surprising. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisegirl said:

Still no “famous” email telling me we have to have a doctor’s approval to cruise on HAL. My cruise is barely two weeks away. If I’m going to need a doctor’s approval to cruise I wish the email would come. Has any HAL poster actually said they got the email? So far I’ve only read about friends getting it. That seems surprising. 

I have NOT received  anything I am 70 (71 on Saturday) and sailing THAT day!.... A poster on NCL said she called an NCL rep  cause she didn't get one.. He told her  that her 3/14 sailing on the Star wasn't included so that's why she didn't receive anything.. I know If I got one unlikely me or my GF could get one at this late date.. we leave for Lauderdale tomorrow.. I am freaked out

• Like 1

My family is scheduled to sail on the Oosterdam on 3/14. We were packing yesterday, but that evening we got an email from my daughter's school saying that any students who cruise over spring break will be required to self-quarantine upon return. Then POTUS calmed everyone's fears (sarcasm). Can't even get through to the travel agent because their system is "experiencing technical difficulties." In any case, we aren't going. Wish me luck in scraping anything back from HAL...

It’s disgusted how those of us who have cruises less than a month away are being strung along. If HAL is going to follow suit with Princess and cancel all cruises Or require a doctor’s statement I wish they’d go ahead and do something. I don’t want to cancel and won’t unless I’m forced to but I worry about the drop dead cancellation date. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, shackelf said:

My family is scheduled to sail on the Oosterdam on 3/14. We were packing yesterday, but that evening we got an email from my daughter's school saying that any students who cruise over spring break will be required to self-quarantine upon return. Then POTUS calmed everyone's fears (sarcasm). Can't even get through to the travel agent because their system is "experiencing technical difficulties." In any case, we aren't going. Wish me luck in scraping anything back from HAL...

What is bad is it is not just cruising.

There are families going to who knows where over spring break that will be just as much at risk.

Might as well just shut the school down for a while.

.....and good luck!

Edited by Alibaster McGillicutty

33 minutes ago, cruisegirl said:

It’s disgusted how those of us who have cruises less than a month away are being strung along. If HAL is going to follow suit with Princess and cancel all cruises Or require a doctor’s statement I wish they’d go ahead and do something. I don’t want to cancel and won’t unless I’m forced to but I worry about the drop dead cancellation date. 

I wonder who is really stringing you along . The situation is moving so extremely fast , look at the numbers of Coronavirus cases around the world and our governments are reacting so very slow  , than we are all reading things third hand and opinions given from many here on the boards about doctors statements and many other things that we are all becoming very confused .

Best thing is wait until official statements are given and than react . We are also suppose to cruise 3 weeks from now and we are keeping an eye on things and than make up our mind before the deadline .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shackelf said:

I don't think you will have any problems with HAL. I cancelled yesterday and received all the FCC I was entitled to. I bought tickets through Flight Ease and will receive a full refund to my credit card.  I deal with my PCC by email only so that there is never a misunderstanding.

I came to work this morning and there was an email advising that any employee  who travelled to certain countries would have to take mandatory 2-week self-isolation on return.  At the bottom of the list was "All cruises". No Caribbean countries and Mexico on the list. An all-inclusive week at a nice resort might be a nice alternative to a cruise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisegirl said:

I totally agree,  Please just let us know one way or another!  

1 hour ago, sailingdutchy said:

I wonder who is really stringing you along . The situation is moving so extremely fast , look at the numbers of Coronavirus cases around the world and our governments are reacting so very slow  , than we are all reading things third hand and opinions given from many here on the boards about doctors statements and many other things that we are all becoming very confused .

Best thing is wait until official statements are given and than react . We are also suppose to cruise 3 weeks from now and we are keeping an eye on things and than make up our mind before the deadline .

My comment about stringing us along has to do with wishing HAL would say what if anything they are going to require.  I'm not into panic mode otherwise I would have cancelled by now.  However time is getting short to cancel and I don't want them to wait until the last minute and throw me a curve.  We are cruising in 15 days so the clock is ticking down.  Thus my comments.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alibaster McGillicutty said:

What is bad is it is not just cruising.

There are families going to who knows where over spring break that will be just as much at risk.

Might as well just shut the school down for a while.

.....and good luck!

I live in a university town and both that university and one other state university is looking at the possibility of going to virtual classes for two weeks following spring break for this very reason.  They are concerned about what the students might bring back and as a resident I probably should be concerned too. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cruisegirl said:

I live in a university town and both that university and one other state university is looking at the possibility of going to virtual classes for two weeks following spring break for this very reason.  They are concerned about what the students might bring back and as a resident I probably should be concerned too. 

My alma mater, which I live quite near, has announced yesterday that they are doing just this -- they extended their spring break slightly and plan to have virtual classes after the break for the forseeable future!

17 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

My alma mater, which I live quite near, has announced yesterday that they are doing just this -- they extended their spring break slightly and plan to have virtual classes after the break for the forseeable future!

Several universities have made this announcement, and I expect more will follow. I think it's a good move, considering how far spring breakers travel and how densely some may party. I saw a news report that showed Fort Lauderdale in full spring break swing.(But they're young, they won't catch anything... 🙄 )

Anything that can slow the spread of the virus helps. 

This talk about "doctors notes" makes little sense and could even be dangerous.  At this time, a good place to avoid is a physician's office as your chance of being exposed to illness, including COVID-19, are increased by simply being in a waiting room.  And in the USA, a physician would have to be nutz to clear any Senior to travel since that would open them up to potential liability given a lot of expert advice that seniors immediately implement social distancing.  Both Princess and Viking have made this issue moot by simply ceasing all operations until May.  This sets up another situation where Lawyers can later argue that lines that continue to operate are being reckless in the face of a an expanding pandemic.  You can bet that this is being discussed in the executive suites off all the lines that continue to operate.

Hank

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Exactly Hank. My mom was to go in was some routine lab work today. No rush. She called this am to say she is gonna postpone it. I see no problem with that as it is not critical to her health now and if done in a months time it will make no difference. I'm betting lots of reasonably healthy seniors are making similar choices. 

3 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

Exactly Hank. My mom was to go in was some routine lab work today. No rush. She called this am to say she is gonna postpone it. I see no problem with that as it is not critical to her health now and if done in a months time it will make no difference. I'm betting lots of reasonably healthy seniors are making similar choices. 

Here in my province of Alberta, people are being told NOT to go to Doctor's offices or ER's if they think they have COVID-19.  They are told to self-isolate and to call our provincial health link number to receive instructions.

• Like 3

A new response to Covid-19. Broadway is going dark for the next month, as are Metropolitan Opera and Carnegie Hall. (Playbill.com)

TV shows  (Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy, talk shows) are taping without a live audience. 

I saw Gov Cuomo interviewed last night, and he said he had met with the organizers of NYC's St Patrick's Day Parade. When asked how that went, he grimaced and said "Not well." But this morning, it was announced that it will be cancelled. I've gone to the parade when I worked in NYC. It's a circus! No need to encourage that much stranger togetherness.

Best defense is to stay away from large gatherings. My plan is to stay home most of the time. No recreational excursions to the mall for me!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

This talk about "doctors notes" makes little sense and could even be dangerous.  At this time, a good place to avoid is a physician's office as your chance of being exposed to illness, including COVID-19, are increased by simply being in a waiting room.  And in the USA, a physician would have to be nutz to clear any Senior to travel since that would open them up to potential liability given a lot of expert advice that seniors immediately implement social distancing.  Both Princess and Viking have made this issue moot by simply ceasing all operations until May.  This sets up another situation where Lawyers can later argue that lines that continue to operate are being reckless in the face of a an expanding pandemic.  You can bet that this is being discussed in the executive suites off all the lines that continue to operate.

Hank

Exactly...