your opinions on cancelling

gofish

We booked Wonder, Alaska, July 13 for 3 rooms. 

The final payment is due this week. 

If I cancel I remove the financial risk but give up the rooms we selected.

Based on their new cancellation policy and original contract if I send them the $30,000 they then control all the conditions of the cruise.

We are four months away from sailing with "uncertain times".

Their temporary cancellation policy for European cruises moves the final payment and cancellation dates closer to sailing.

Our Alaska cruise is business as usual.

any opinions?

We are on the Fantasy on 3/21. I think we will have to cancel. I really thought we would see how silly a quarantine was after the Diamond. With high school kids and jobs, I can’t see how we take the risk of getting quarantined for 2 weeks after getting bussed in to some military base in who knows which state. We are beyond sad right now....

We were booked on the Wonder for 4/12 and just processed our cancellation this morning.  

The cancellation policy is a good one, giving you lots of time to reconsider, BUT you don't get the money back, it comes in the form of future cruise credits applied to a sailing within a year of your scheduled departure date.   

I wonder in your case if the $30,000 spread across three cabins would have to be spread across 3 cabins in a future sailing, or could you book yourself the most amazing suite for just you and your special person?   Either way, it's a choice that only you can make.

If you don't want to be tied to DCL for a cruise within a year, AND you're wary about this summer seems to me that you need to cancel.  If you're cool with locking that cash up and giving it to DCL regardless - then carry on.

Took us forever to get thru on the phones today - I was on the phone at 5am my time and it was finally resolved at 9am.   That's a LOT of hold music.  

We are sailing on Friday on the Magic and do not plan on cancelling unless they offer a full refund.  I think that the screening procedures will be very adequate and I would imagine that the cleaning will be top notch, as it always is on Disney.  We are very much looking forward to our cruise!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, myraid said:

We are very much looking forward to our cruise!

I think we all were; I am disappointed and know that I have fully achieved my 'grown up" card. Cancelling was a very tough decision.   I hope your trip goes off without a hitch.

A few of the considerations for us was that we were booked into an Inside and the idea of being confined to that space was giving me anxiety.    We booked onto a shorter cruise, but in a better cabin with a veranda. 

Secondly, we decided that since this is still such a new developing situation that the response can change daily.  Seeing that it doesn't take much for our gov't to keep a ship from docking we just couldn't risk it.

All that being said, there are plenty of ships at sea right now, and DCL seems to be on their A game when it comes to cleanliness   I genuinely hope you have a great time!

4 hours ago, TPgal said:

I think we all were; I am disappointed and know that I have fully achieved my 'grown up" card. Cancelling was a very tough decision.   I hope your trip goes off without a hitch.

A few of the considerations for us was that we were booked into an Inside and the idea of being confined to that space was giving me anxiety.    We booked onto a shorter cruise, but in a better cabin with a veranda. 

Secondly, we decided that since this is still such a new developing situation that the response can change daily.  Seeing that it doesn't take much for our gov't to keep a ship from docking we just couldn't risk it.

All that being said, there are plenty of ships at sea right now, and DCL seems to be on their A game when it comes to cleanliness   I genuinely hope you have a great time!

Thank you!  And same to you.  😊

• Like 1

we cancelled.

Full cash refund of the deposits and no committment to a future Disney cruise.

Some airplane reservations all ready made but I hope we will rebook and use the tickets on the same cruise but its now my choice when we go.

On 3/8/2020 at 4:08 PM, gofish said:

We booked Wonder, Alaska, July 13 for 3 rooms. 

The final payment is due this week. 

If I cancel I remove the financial risk but give up the rooms we selected.

Based on their new cancellation policy and original contract if I send them the $30,000 they then control all the conditions of the cruise.

We are four months away from sailing with "uncertain times".

Their temporary cancellation policy for European cruises moves the final payment and cancellation dates closer to sailing.

Our Alaska cruise is business as usual.

any opinions?

We are booked on the Dream for that same date.  Thinking 121 days out (hoping) things will be much better.  Paid in full for over a month, 2 rooms $20,000, but bought the insurance, so without reading the fine print I think we have quite a bit of leeway.  Still planning to go at this time.  Regards, Gerry.

On 3/11/2020 at 4:33 PM, gofish said:

we cancelled.

Full cash refund of the deposits and no committment to a future Disney cruise.

Some airplane reservations all ready made but I hope we will rebook and use the tickets on the same cruise but its now my choice when we go.

It sure would help others if you shared when your cruise was.  Some will read you post and think they can cancel a cruise coming up soon and get all their money back - which I do not think is true.

2 hours ago, garycarla said:

It sure would help others if you shared when your cruise was.  Some will read you post and think they can cancel a cruise coming up soon and get all their money back - which I do not think is true.

Covered in first post. July 13 , this week is final payment due. 

Do you have cancellation/travel insurance? We purchased this for a cruise in November 2020 on the Wonder. The insurance kicks in if one of us is directed by our physicians not to travel or if the government issues direction that cancels the cruise. Canada has banned cruise ships from landing and travel is curtailed both in Canada and the United States. There is no indication of when these restrictions might end. I would likely cancel and keep my money given the risks. We have until early July to cancel with a full refund so we are monitoring the situation closely.

• 4 weeks later...

We cancelled our trip scheduled for November 2020. There is so much uncertainty about COVID that we felt it was more prudent to stay home and wait until the situation is more settled. Should I get sick from anything I prefer to be in my own bed and I prefer to have access to our medical system. On our last cruise there was a respiratory outbreak and at each port there were people subject to medical evacuation by ambulance. I don't think that I would feel comfortable with the medical services available at some of the ports that cruise ships stop at - ones in Nicaragua for example.

• Like 1