Ideas for tours from Chivitavecchia port.

mickym

My husband and I will be at this port for 12 hours this September. We have already been to Rome and toured the high points of that city. Does anyone have any ideas of other things to see and do in or around this area?

Relative to what else is available near Civitavecchia port, Rome is really worth a second (and third) visit if you have only scratched the surface: there are so many places to see in Rome that would be headliner sights in any other port but barely get a mention in Rome guidebooks with all the iconic places to visit there. I've posted a number of time about some of the fantastic churches, museums, and ancient sites that I am still discovering and I am well past my dozenth visit to Rome...

That said, if you are fixed on not wanting to return to the "eternal city" it is possible to get to Tarquinia via bus from Civitavecchia to see the Etruscan painted tombs (outstanding) and Etruscan museum there. There's really not much in Civitavecchia itself. (And I am being nice....)

A private tour could take you to Lake Bracciano, or to Orvieto or to Ostia Antica.

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2020 at 8:54 AM, mickym said:

Thank you so much. I'll check out your other posts. I would be very happy to stay in Rome and check out some lesser known sites.

I'm not sure how to get from Civitavecchia to Ostia Antica (it's an easy train ride from Rome) but a visit to the site is definitely worth it. Was the highlight of one of my trips to Rome. Seeing the mosaic floors in situ, walking the streets and sitting on the steps of the 6th century BCE theater are a wonder not to be missed. Similar to Pompeii but much more intimate.

Or consider an "underground" tour of Rome. The Scavi Tour under the Vatican and St. Peter's, or the 1st century pagan temple under the Basilica of San Clemente, or the Catacombs, or the roman house Le Domas Romane di Palazzo Valentini. The Scavi Tour is one that needs to be arranged ahead of time and is a very fascinating tour.

There's amazing history everywhere you turn in Rome. you can't go wrong. My son's highlight of our stay in Rome was a Segway tour! 

15 hours ago, wikoffclan said:

I'm not sure how to get from Civitavecchia to Ostia Antica (it's an easy train ride from Rome) but a visit to the site is definitely worth it. 

From Civitavecchia you'd take the local train (or the Civitavecchia Express) to Roma Ostiense, then make the short jog over to the Porta San Paolo station for the Roma-Lido line.  Take this to the Ostia Antica station, use the overhead walkway to cross the tracks then follow signs to the entrance.

https://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=4

20 hours ago, wikoffclan said:

I'm not sure how to get from Civitavecchia to Ostia Antica (it's an easy train ride from Rome) but a visit to the site is definitely worth it. Was the highlight of one of my trips to Rome. Seeing the mosaic floors in situ, walking the streets and sitting on the steps of the 6th century BCE theater are a wonder not to be missed. Similar to Pompeii but much more intimate.

Also, there is a very good guide to the site online, available for free -- lots of good information on what you'll see there. Like Pompeii, it is quite large and could easily be the focus of your day, given the need to return by a certain time.

Link to free guide:  https://www.ostia-antica.org/touristguide.pdf

(And finally, since I cannot resist, I will have to say the theater only dates from the 1st c. BC; it is believed to have been a project of Marcus Agrippa, the general and good friend of Augustus who also built the original Pantheon in Rome....)

8 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

(And finally, since I cannot resist, I will have to say the theater only dates from the 1st c. BC; it is believed to have been a project of Marcus Agrippa, the general and good friend of Augustus who also built the original Pantheon in Rome....)

Good to know. Thank you! I just love history and this site was fascinating. We probably didn't do enough homework before we went, but enjoyed it tremendously. Ostia is like an undiscovered treasure that you can explore and really get up close and personal.

23 hours ago, wikoffclan said:

Or consider an "underground" tour of Rome. The Scavi Tour under the Vatican and St. Peter's, or the 1st century pagan temple under the Basilica of San Clemente, or the Catacombs, or the roman house Le Domas Romane di Palazzo Valentini. The Scavi Tour is one that needs to be arranged ahead of time and is a very fascinating tour.

There's amazing history everywhere you turn in Rome. you can't go wrong. My son's highlight of our stay in Rome was a Segway tour! 

Thank you so much. Those are some great sounding ideas! My planning has been kind of on hold with the uncertainty of weather our cruise will take place.😥

• 4 months later...
On 3/8/2020 at 4:46 PM, mickym said:

My husband and I will be at this port for 12 hours this September. We have already been to Rome and toured the high points of that city. Does anyone have any ideas of other things to see and do in or around this area?

Last summer we chose an excursion that was a little different. Like you, we did all the highlights of Rome on a previous med. cruise. So we did the Catacombs, little village and lunch in the countryside. I just finished my post about it on my blog.

This was from a Holland cruise we took from Venice to Barcelona with a day in Rome so the excursion was from the ship. 

https://travlintheworld.blogspot.com/