US State Department urging not to cruise

5 minutes ago, GetToLivin said:

I was in the airport on Friday picking up a family member, and with all this going on I was hyper-aware of every handle and surface I touched. Heck, even going to Starbucks and ordering a drink only to go to the condiment section and add cream and sugar...how many people touched that same creamer handle and who knows how many people coughed and sneezed on the sugar packets? You get my point. I'm all about being safe, NO ONE wants to get sick, but between airports, hotels, and the grocery store cart etc... no one really knows whose touched what and where they've been. While I understand that at least "they've told us so" I'm also thinking that logically, shouldn't public transit as a whole be warned against then? 

CDC Warns seniors not just against travel such as in cruises and aiports, but against going out at all so that would include mass transit

Edited by MoniMommy
  • Like 2

I know it sucks, but it is a good thing. Theme parks need to close next, then Vegas, then the NBA and NCAA and the chance of us actually beating this will start to become plausible.

People are still going to get sick, and unfortunately in numbers a lot of folks currently aren't going to be able to imagine. But if it can be controlled into a slow burn our health care system will be able to keep up.

More good news, Washington state is seriously considering effectively shutting down. If they can pull it off and people don't absolutely freak out about it, then NY and CA will be able to do it too. By then, hopefully it can just be cities instead of states. It isn't going to be a pleasant summer, there are going to be shortages, no one is going to starve to death.

• Like 1

The problem is that all it takes is one person to show symptoms and everything shuts down.

We have a two year old to leave behind and 2 dogs. Doing an extra 2 weeks in quarantine would be  impossible 

Im not worried about getting sick but the fact that I could end up stuck with no control makes me nervous. 

Our cruise is in November so hopefully everything will be under control by then

And another consideration is,  will you be welcomed in your ports of call ?

• Like 2

I'm not too worried about Corona virus as a whole, but I'm worried how it will affect our June cruise... My son and I are healthy, but my mom is a 2x cancer survivor, her immune system is not good, lol... But man, we've been paying on/planning this for 3.5 years at that point! I'd hate to see it cancelled.

• Like 1

My cruise is in August and I'm a little concerned as I have 6 weeks left before final payment (and thus losing more money than just my deposit), and their recently announced 48 hour cancellation policy only applies for cruises through the end of July. If they don't extend the policy in the next 6 weeks, and this doesn't all blow over, I'm going to have to make a gut call on whether to cancel before more than just my security deposit is on the line.

Not super pleased about that! I'd be happy to hang in there and see how things play out by late summer if I knew I wouldn't risk losing money if things work out badly. Like others I'm not that worried about getting sick, but I am worried about missing ports or getting stuck in quarantines. And I have 3 people over the age of 78 going on our cruise so that is a big concern as well.

• Like 1

Good luck to the cruise industry 

The response from CC members which represent less that 1% of the industry will be -the virus won’t affect me I will never stop going to a cruise 

And the responde from the rest of the world which makes 99% of the population that is not in CC -I will never go on a cruise ship in my life -

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

..."Those with underlying Conditions"...

Which represent what percent in each ship? In every single royal Caribbean that I sail I see more seniors than 18-35 yrs old. 

8 minutes ago, mcatmcat said:

The response from CC members which represent less that 1% of the industry will be -the virus won’t affect me I will never stop going to a cruise 

And the responde from the rest of the world which makes 99% of the population that is not in CC -I will never go on a cruise ship in my life -

IFF no more ships are quarantined and cruises stay out of the news, the public will forget and start cruises again. I think it will take about a year after cruises stops making headlines for bad reason and then everyone will forget.  This is what NCL CEO said on last earnings call.

Yes. Look, nothing is permanent. Consumers do have a relatively short memory, thank God. We have seen in the not-too-distant past other major events affecting the cruise industry that will quickly overcome and that may be brand or company specific. 

I think it would be a good sign is cruise CEOs and Executives started cruising on  their ships (especially those 60 and older) to show they feel its all safe and good. 

• Like 1

Typical bureaucratic response.  The same thought process would also have to close 

1) All public transportation 

2) commercial air travel

3) All non essential shopping ie: Malls

4) library

5) public entertainment venues ie: movies, concerts, sports, shows/plays ect...

6) self service restaurants 

and whatever else you can think of...

• Like 8

46 minutes ago, mcatmcat said:

Which represent what percent in each ship? In every single royal Caribbean that I sail I see more seniors than 18-35 yrs old. 

Should seen my first Cruise in 80's When were all Cruises called the "Newlywed's and Nearly Dead's" Can tell you we were youngest at 23. Nobody else could afford price of a Cruise then. Now, depending on ship(Oasis Class) or sailing date can have 1500+ kids on a sailing. BUT...I do only Cruise on older, smaller ships of 10+ niters and at 54 am still one of the youngest on these

Edited by ONECRUISER

1 hour ago, mcatmcat said:

And this truly highlights the demonisation of cruise ships.

Dare I say it, the reason why ships have had so many cases is because nobody is allowed off.  You can't deny "docking" or disembarking an airplane full of Covid-19 positive people because eventually the plane falls from the sky.  But a port can deny a ship with 1 or 2 passengers with flu-like symptoms indefinately.

This are just stupid knee jerk reactions from goverments and armchair 'experts'.

Edited by banzaii
  • Like 3

Looks like royal isn't immediately changing anything after the announcement from the state department:

TRAVEL ADVISORY UPDATE

The U.S. State Department published a new travel advisory. We’ve been staying on top of the situation and had already cancelled or modified most sailings in Asia through mid-March, with no sailings departing from mainland China or Hong Kong.

U.S. guests on cruises in Asia departing before March 23, 2020 who want to change their plans will be allowed to rebook without penalty at a later date.

We are unaware of any significant travel restrictions, delays or quarantines anywhere else in the world.  Accordingly, we look forward to welcoming our guests who are booked on itineraries outside Asia onto their cruises as scheduled.

We continue to monitor the situation constantly, and news of any travel restrictions or cancelled sailings are regularly being updated.

• Like 2

My sense is that the reason that the state department announcement doesn't currently restrict travel on public transportation, commercial air travel etc. is due to the financial impact that it would have on cities/government.  If they want to control the spread of the virus, why not release an advisory that restricts travel across all modes of mass transportation?  Then I will say that they're doing everything they can about controlling the spread.

Cruise lines are now screening and restricting travel to - to the extent possible - people who are ill/symptomatic, and with the refund/cruise credit policies that the cruise lines have put in place people are now in a position to feel comfortable opting out of their cruise.  There is no incentive not to travel on other modes of transportation.  At least on a cruise, everyone is identified and can be tracked, plus if a sailing is quarantined, the spread would be relatively contained to the ship.  On public transportation, airplanes etc. the virus is being passed around without any controls in place.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, HalfHand said:

I know it sucks, but it is a good thing. Theme parks need to close next, then Vegas, then the NBA and NCAA and the chance of us actually beating this will start to become plausible.

People are still going to get sick, and unfortunately in numbers a lot of folks currently aren't going to be able to imagine. But if it can be controlled into a slow burn our health care system will be able to keep up.

More good news, Washington state is seriously considering effectively shutting down. If they can pull it off and people don't absolutely freak out about it, then NY and CA will be able to do it too. By then, hopefully it can just be cities instead of states. It isn't going to be a pleasant summer, there are going to be shortages, no one is going to starve to death.

Won't think you will see it. Even IF was to get real bad in US or a State you wont see same Marshal Law or travel restrictions you see in China or part of Italy. This Country is totally different animal with rights and freedoms. Shutting down schools, events is one thing

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Drumstix40 said:

Typical bureaucratic response.  The same thought process would also have to close 

1) All public transportation 

2) commercial air travel

3) All non essential shopping ie: Malls

4) library

5) public entertainment venues ie: movies, concerts, sports, shows/plays ect...

6) self service restaurants

Have you read about the Italy closures/restrictions/travel bans? They're ahead of us...

11 hours ago, johnjen said:

I hope the cruise line industry sue Foggy Bottom all because some gov employee went into panic mode. This is not as serious as some think it is. The state dept is over reacting as always.

I sorry, but are you an expert of some sort?  You know how that the State Dept. is overreacting?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, nu_cruzer1 said:

My sense is that the reason that the state department announcement doesn't currently restrict travel on public transportation, commercial air travel etc. is due to the financial impact that it would have on cities/government.  If they want to control the spread of the virus, why not release an advisory that restricts travel across all modes of mass transportation?  Then I will say that they're doing everything they can about controlling the spread.

Cruise lines are now screening and restricting travel to - to the extent possible - people who are ill/symptomatic, and with the refund/cruise credit policies that the cruise lines have put in place people are now in a position to feel comfortable opting out of their cruise.  There is no incentive not to travel on other modes of transportation.  At least on a cruise, everyone is identified and can be tracked, plus if a sailing is quarantined, the spread would be relatively contained to the ship.  On public transportation, airplanes etc. the virus is being passed around without any controls in place.

And you are ok with spending your hard earned vacation quarantined in a cabin for who knows how long?  All just to say I'm not going to let them change my plans?  If even one person is sick (could by the flu, sinus infection, respiratory infection, etc. they will quarantine the whole ship.  That is my concern about whether or not to cancel my upcoming cruise on the Oaisis 2 1/2 weeks from now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sellwingri said:

We cancelled our 3/28 cruise and rebooked one for 9/4.  Hopefully  we’ll still be able to take our 5/10 cruise but I guess we’ll see.  

We sail later this month and decided to move forward with it, it is more the June one that I am not sure about (although the one I was most looking forward to). For now the cases are relatively few compared to what they may be in 2-3 months, at least that is our reasoning, so we sail now then wait and see on June. Granted, the down side of that calculation is there may be more cases than we know out there now, but there are unlikely a lot of subclinical cases of flu so hopefully those people at least understand they are ill. 😳

10 hours ago, flyguyjake said:

Posted in another thread:

State official asks White House to stop cruise ships from docking in Hawaii over COVID-19

https://www.khon2.com/top-stories/state-official-asks-white-house-to-stop-cruise-ships-from-docking-in-hawaii-over-covid-19/

But are they asking the government to stop air travel from Japan? I think the likely hood to pick up this virus on an airplane is much greater than on a cruise ship. 

• Like 1

We're young and healthy but just the thought of being quarantined on a ship and then sent off to some base scares me to the point that as of right now we are not going on our August cruise.  All it takes is one person on the ship to be sick and that's it.  I feel so bad for these people in quarantine.  Their homes, jobs, bills, pets, children....   I'm reconsidering Vegas too.

Being under quarantine scares me more than the getting the virus.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, royal girl said:

We're young and healthy but just the thought of being quarantined on a ship and then sent off to some base scares me to the point that as of right now we are not going on our August cruise.  All it takes is one person on the ship to be sick and that's it.  I feel so bad for these people in quarantine.  Their homes, jobs, bills, pets, children....   I'm reconsidering Vegas too.

Being under quarantine scares me more than the getting the virus.

August is a long way off.  You may want to take a wait and see since we have no idea what will happen in 5 months.  Royal will let you reschedule your cruise even if you cancel 2 days before sail date.