US State Dept Advisory on cruises

banditcat

Is the next step bankruptcy of the weak sisters (not meaning Seabourn)?  Will there be a bailout of the cruise lines? Will the dividend and/or onboard credit be cut? Is this a good time to buy CCL with the fair value at $55.00? The stocks in all the cruise lines will take a nose dive tomorrow.  Is this a good buying opportunity?  Is the State Department concerned  with worldwide cruises? Questions with very iffy answers. I can't believe the they made such an audacious statement. A bright and rosey picture has tuned very bleak.

6 minutes ago, cuddles115 said:

Is the next step bankruptcy of the weak sisters (not meaning Seabourn)?  Will there be a bailout of the cruise lines? Will the dividend and/or onboard credit be cut? Is this a good time to buy CCL with the fair value at $55.00? The stocks in all the cruise lines will take a nose dive tomorrow.  Is this a good buying opportunity?  Is the State Department concerned  with worldwide cruises? Questions with very iffy answers. I can't believe the they made such an audacious statement. A bright and rosey picture has tuned very bleak.

The think the audacious statement was made based on data and information.  Dr. Fauci made the same statement.  (By the way, I've discovered that spell check doesn't like spelling his name the correct way and may well change it again inserting an h.)

)

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, SLSD said:

The think the audacious statement was made based on data and information.  Dr. Fauci made the same statement.  (By the way, I've discovered that spell check doesn't like spelling his name the correct way and may well change it again inserting an h.)

Was that statement world wide(China and Italy) or specific to certain areas excluding the Caribbean, the Western Mediterranean, Australia, New Zealand and other ports?

Okay are they encouraging people not to fly as well if they elderly or weak immune systems? I certainly hope so as I have seen quite a few get diagnosed with COVID-19 after flights. The issue with cruises is that it is confined to one group situation whereas plane travel everyone disperses.

And yes I do have respiratory health issues so I am talking all precautions and I am still travelling. My choice and everyone should just make their own choices. 

Julie

• Like 1

Well if you are a long term investor, as I am, buying CCL (which we have owned for many years and did well with although now below the price we paid, 10+ years ago but then again we also have many years of dividends plus all the OBC we have received still ahead of the game), RCL, and DIS are things to seriously consider.  Unless this is the end of the world plague as per Revelations it will eventually either die out or a vaccine will be developed and the economy will recover.  Might be over in a few months or take a few years but eventually these companies, that have very deep pockets will recover.  Look at the airlines post 9-11, decimated yet until a couple of months ago they were making record profits.   

7 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

Okay are they encouraging people not to fly as well if they elderly or weak immune systems? I certainly hope so as I have seen quite a few get diagnosed with COVID-19 after flights. The issue with cruises is that it is confined to one group situation whereas plane travel everyone disperses.

And yes I do have respiratory health issues so I am talking all precautions and I am still travelling. My choice and everyone should just make their own choices. 

Julie

Yes finally the CDC - w/ out political interference for once - put out an advisory for those most at risk to consider not taking on more risk by flying or taking a cruise.

Edited by 2SailingNomads
Grammar

38 minutes ago, cuddles115 said:

Was that statement world wide(China and Italy) or specific to certain areas excluding the Caribbean, the Western Mediterranean, Australia, New Zealand and other ports?

It was a general all encompassing statement.  After all, the current Princess ship off the coast of California with infected crew and passengers was on a cruise to Mexico.  

This article about the State Department advisory was posted just a short while ago in the Washington Post:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2020/03/08/state-department-cruise-ship-travel/?itid=hp_hp-top-table-main_virusledeall-920pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans

This is from the article, "Reuters reported on Friday that the U.S. was considering measures to discourage cruising, including advising all or some Americans to temporarily avoid taking cruises or potentially creating travel restrictions related to cruises. In a statement released the same day, the Cruise Lines International Association called any effort to curtail cruising “unreasonable” and detrimental to the economy, adding that the industry supports more than 421,000 American jobs and contributed almost $53 billion to the U.S. economy in 2018."

Edited by SLSD

2 hours ago, SLSD said:

This article about the State Department advisory was posted just a short while ago in the Washington Post:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2020/03/08/state-department-cruise-ship-travel/?itid=hp_hp-top-table-main_virusledeall-920pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans

This is from the article, "Reuters reported on Friday that the U.S. was considering measures to discourage cruising, including advising all or some Americans to temporarily avoid taking cruises or potentially creating travel restrictions related to cruises. In a statement released the same day, the Cruise Lines International Association called any effort to curtail cruising “unreasonable” and detrimental to the economy, adding that the industry supports more than 421,000 American jobs and contributed almost $53 billion to the U.S. economy in 2018."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-09/victoria-records-new-coronavirus-covid-19-cases/12038048

3 of the last 4 cases confirmed in Victoria, Australia had flown in from the USA.

• Thanks 1

We are advised in America anyone elderly(over 60) Yikes! should not travel, stay home, and definitely not take cruises. Praying this gets contained in 6 weeks, so we can get on with our lives. Can't imagine what is going on in the board rooms of the major cruise lines. I would assume the first thing CCL will do is cut or eliminate the dividend temporarily. Hoping this will pass sooner than later. 

4 hours ago, Laylam said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-09/victoria-records-new-coronavirus-covid-19-cases/12038048

3 of the last 4 cases confirmed in Victoria, Australia had flown in from the USA.

It would be interesting to know how many of the U. S. cases are somehow cruise related.  And of course, there has been very little testing the United States.  My county, Dallas County, only gained testing capability about four or five days ago.  

SLSD, I was thinking about how many cruises are out there and what the percentage of problems are to that number. I hopefully leave in 42 days and am watching news constantly to decide what to do. My wife is leaning towards canceling and my kids are pushing to not go too. I am in that age bracket they talk about -- 74. I certainly think this is a serious situation but do think that politics are involved in these cruise warnings. I could catch this going out to eat or shopping at the supermarket. This is a bucket list trip for us and I will be so disappointed to not go. Keeping my fingers crossed and watching the news!

Wishing all good health and safe travels no matter where you go.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, artlee said:

SLSD, I was thinking about how many cruises are out there and what the percentage of problems are to that number. I hopefully leave in 42 days and am watching news constantly to decide what to do. My wife is leaning towards canceling and my kids are pushing to not go too. I am in that age bracket they talk about -- 74. I certainly think this is a serious situation but do think that politics are involved in these cruise warnings. I could catch this going out to eat or shopping at the supermarket. This is a bucket list trip for us and I will be so disappointed to not go. Keeping my fingers crossed and watching the news!

Wishing all good health and safe travels no matter where you go.

Artlee, In the United States, as you know, there have been all sorts of claims about the political angles involved in handling the virus epidemic.  I find it totally annoying.  I think the best thing to do is to listen to Dr. Fauci.  After all, he is the expert.  HE  is one of the main people who has warned against going on cruises at this time--especially if you are of advanced age or have underlying health issues.  I would heed the concerns of your wife and grown children.  Yes, you might contract the virus if you stay home, but, as Dr. Fauci has explained, a cruise ship is a different kettle of fish.

“Don’t go to crowded places, think twice before a long plane trip, and for goodness sake don’t go on any cruises,” Dr. Fauci said.

For people who are particularly vulnerable, he said: “Don’t wait for community spread. Now is the time to do social distancing, whether there is spread in your community or not.”

I know that that this board is made up of people who absolutely love to cruise (I put myself in that category as well), but I think when it comes to our health, common sense has to be put before leisure travel.  I'll probably be criticized for saying that.  We have been in touch with friends made on past SB cruises and they are taking the FCC and arranging to cruise much later in the year.  We are sitting tight and waiting to book our next cruise when this nightmare is in the past.  

I have a high school friend who, with her husband,  is on the Princess ship off the coast of California.  They are caught up in the nightmare of being stranded on the ship along with those who have contracted the virus.  Right now, they are facing quarantine for at least two weeks (could be longer) at an Air Force Base in San Antonio.  No thank you.  I'll take my chances of catching the virus at home and being able to either stay in my home or seek medical care in my city.  

Good luck to you in your decision.  

Edited by SLSD

Thanks SLSD for your thoughts. I agree on Dr. Fauci. I am going to wait as long as I can to make the decision. Catching the cruise is easy for me as it is an hour away, but very true on getting quaranteed and all.  ugh....

• Like 1

Sadly I did cancel a June Regent cruise, and booked for Oct.on SB.But my TA said I must make final decision about that one in June. Also, switched air tickets,,for $450 ea.wow. So now hoping and praying it will be better before my next decision date.Mine involves a long flight to Europe too.

We are both in 70 s but good health,but just not up to taking a risk.If I must catch the dam virus,would rather be at home,with own drs.,,etc. Not stuck on a ship, in my room.

Worse yet, both my DH are med prof,,retired. He a Dr. and me an RN.So really aware of risks in quarantine.

Feel so very sorry for those losing both their money ,,and their cruise. 

What a choice to make.THis constant bad news is starting to get to all of us.Hate to read paper or watch TV.

100% FUTURE CRUISE CREDIT IS NOT A REFUND....IT IS A SCAM......THE CRUISE LINE WILL MAKE THEIR MONEY BACK QUICKLY.

THE ADVISORY TO AVOID CRUISING HOPEFULLY WILL FORCE THE CRUISE LINE TO OFFER REAL TIME CASH REFUNDS.   

DO YOU REALIZE HOW MANY PEOPLE WILL CANCEL IF THEY HAD THE OPTION TO RECEIVE A CASH REFUND?  

FOOLISH PEOPLE WILL CHOOSE TO CRUISE EVEN AFTER THIS ADVISORY.  

MANY PEOPLE ARE STILL CRUISING BECAUSE THEY DO NOT WANT TO BE FORCED TO LOSE MONEY. (PEOPLE WERE SUCKERED BY THE CRUISE LINE TO TAKE A FUTURE CRUISE CREDIT)

SOME OTHER PEOPLE ARE LOOKING FOWARD TO LOWER RATES  TO CRUISE AFTER MASS CANCELLATIONS. (WELL THEN, LET THEM CRUISE)  THE ARTICLE SAID SOME PEOPLE ARE STILL CHOOSING TO CRUISE HAH!

IF THEY OFFER ME A CASH REFUND ….I'M GONE

I'LL WAIT UNTIL THIS SITUATION IS OVER

4 minutes ago, coolhandjiohnson said:

100% FUTURE CRUISE CREDIT IS NOT A REFUND....IT IS A SCAM......THE CRUISE LINE WILL MAKE THEIR MONEY BACK QUICKLY.

THE ADVISORY TO AVOID CRUISING HOPEFULLY WILL FORCE THE CRUISE LINE TO OFFER REAL TIME CASH REFUNDS.   

DO YOU REALIZE HOW MANY PEOPLE WILL CANCEL IF THEY HAD THE OPTION TO RECEIVE A CASH REFUND?  

FOOLISH PEOPLE WILL CHOOSE TO CRUISE EVEN AFTER THIS ADVISORY.  

MANY PEOPLE ARE STILL CRUISING BECAUSE THEY DO NOT WANT TO BE FORCED TO LOSE MONEY. (PEOPLE WERE SUCKERED BY THE CRUISE LINE TO TAKE A FUTURE CRUISE CREDIT)

SOME OTHER PEOPLE ARE LOOKING FOWARD TO LOWER RATES  TO CRUISE AFTER MASS CANCELLATIONS. (WELL THEN, LET THEM CRUISE)  THE ARTICLE SAID SOME PEOPLE ARE STILL CHOOSING TO CRUISE HAH!

IF THEY OFFER ME A CASH REFUND ….I'M GONE

I'LL WAIT UNTIL THIS SITUATION IS OVER

My guess is to wait it out  and see if the cruise line will be forced to offer real time refunds in cash to people who want to opt to cancel.  I do not want all of my money sitting on a future cruise credit, in my case about 3k.  

If I were on a ship and I purchased a future cruise credit it would only cost about $100 per person and final payments would be at my discretion.  I like to be in control of my own destiny.

Remember this, If the cruise lines cancels the cruise you should get all your money back in cash.  If you (the traveler) cancels the cruise you will lose money.  This Future Cruise Credit is BS.  They could have offered it earlier.  They want to stay in control of YOUR MONEY.  They act like they are doing you a favor (or are they?)

NOW THAT  THE GOVERNMENT IS INQUIRING AND GETTING INVOLVED AND NOW THAT THE CORONA VIRUS CONTINUES T0 ESCALATE WE MAY SEE SOME ACTION.  I SUGGEST WAITING IT OUT....what do you think?

49 minutes ago, coolhandjiohnson said:

If I were on a ship and I purchased a future cruise credit it would only cost about $100 per person and final payments would be at my discretion. 

Not on Seabourn.  Future cruise deposits can be purchased for $500 pp and final payments are not at your discretion.  The deposit must be topped up to 25% of total fare once you book an actual cruise unless there is a promo in place for a lesser deposit.  Final payment is due on a schedule that depends on length of cruise.

• Like 1

Here are some issues with the future cruise credit being offered by Seabourn and why it could eventually cost you a lot of money if you end up cancelling as your cruise date became closer.

1.  In order to use the future cruise credit, you have to re-book within 90 days of cancellation even though the future cruise may be up to a year and a half away.  You can't use the FCC for your deposit, so you will have the deposit as well as full amount of FCC, perhaps 100% of the total cost, tied up for such period.  Given tight 90 -day window for re-booking, you won't be able to wait for one of Seabourn's periodic super-sales before booking.  This feature alone could cost thousands.

2.  Presumably, once you book, you will have no right to cancel or to re-price your cruise based on future Seabourn discounts which are typically offered from time to time during the period before 120 days prior to the cruise.  Again, a significant cost negative.

3.  Normal travel insurance at standard prices is unlikely to be available for something you can't cancel at any time for a period of up to a year and a half without the complete loss of the deposit and the FCC, which could be 100% of the cruise cost.  Also, would insurance even cover the loss of the FCC if you had to cancel because of sickness, death, etc.

4.  In the terms and conditions for the FCC stated by Seabourn, you can't combine the FCC "with any other  offers".  This could mean you might not be able to book at a sales price even if there was a Seabourn sale and other benefits being offered at the time you booked within 90 days of the cancellation.  No suite upgrade, no on-board credit, no additional 5% discount for Seabourn club membership, no free internet minutes no air credit, and maybe no discounted price then being offered if there is an expiration date for such price in the sale.  This is a real potential cost negative.

5.  In the terms and conditions, Seabourn reserves the right to modify or withdraw the policy at any time without notice for any reason.  Significant risk that for financial reasons, Seabourn could cancel the policy, say in April, stating that the virus was not so bad, which means you could have a 75% cash penalty (with no right to an FCC for such amount) if you cancelled thereafter because you felt differently than Seabourn about the virus risk.

6.  Finally, in the terms and conditions, Seabourn states that the FCC may be subject to "additional terms and conditions as provided by Seabourn" without any clarification of what they could be. 

If Seabourn wants customers to stick with it during this uncertain period, the policy needs to be more customer friendly.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2020 at 2:23 PM, legal holiday said:

Here are some issues with the future cruise credit being offered by Seabourn and why it could eventually cost you a lot of money if you end up cancelling as your cruise date became closer.

1.  In order to use the future cruise credit, you have to re-book within 90 days of cancellation even though the future cruise may be up to a year and a half away.  You can't use the FCC for your deposit, so you will have the deposit as well as full amount of FCC, perhaps 100% of the total cost, tied up for such period.  Given tight 90 -day window for re-booking, you won't be able to wait for one of Seabourn's periodic super-sales before booking.  This feature alone could cost thousands.

2.  Presumably, once you book, you will have no right to cancel or to re-price your cruise based on future Seabourn discounts which are typically offered from time to time during the period before 120 days prior to the cruise.  Again, a significant cost negative.

3.  Normal travel insurance at standard prices is unlikely to be available for something you can't cancel at any time for a period of up to a year and a half without the complete loss of the deposit and the FCC, which could be 100% of the cruise cost.  Also, would insurance even cover the loss of the FCC if you had to cancel because of sickness, death, etc.

4.  In the terms and conditions for the FCC stated by Seabourn, you can't combine the FCC "with any other  offers".  This could mean you might not be able to book at a sales price even if there was a Seabourn sale and other benefits being offered at the time you booked within 90 days of the cancellation.  No suite upgrade, no on-board credit, no additional 5% discount for Seabourn club membership, no free internet minutes no air credit, and maybe no discounted price then being offered if there is an expiration date for such price in the sale.  This is a real potential cost negative.

5.  In the terms and conditions, Seabourn reserves the right to modify or withdraw the policy at any time without notice for any reason.  Significant risk that for financial reasons, Seabourn could cancel the policy, say in April, stating that the virus was not so bad, which means you could have a 75% cash penalty (with no right to an FCC for such amount) if you cancelled thereafter because you felt differently than Seabourn about the virus risk.

6.  Finally, in the terms and conditions, Seabourn states that the FCC may be subject to "additional terms and conditions as provided by Seabourn" without any clarification of what they could be. 

If Seabourn wants customers to stick with it during this uncertain period, the policy needs to be more customer friendly.

Would you, by chance, be a personal injury lawyer in Florida?