Cruises To Nowhere?

atexsix

Does anyone think cruises to nowhere are possible if ships are being denied docking?  Does anyone agree with me that there's a market?  I've always wondered why they did not offer longer versions of these.  Usually I go out of my way to book itineraries with the most sea days and I know quite a few others that do this too.  Let's say HAL tried it, all the money spent would go directly to HAL, it would at least keep money in the bank, maybe not sustainable in the longer run, but it's better than going under now. 

I for one would book a 14+ day cruise to nowhere in a heartbeat!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Does anyone think cruises to nowhere are possible if ships are being denied docking?  Does anyone agree with me that there's a market?  I've always wondered why they did not offer longer versions of these.  Usually I go out of my way to book itineraries with the most sea days and I know quite a few others that do this too.  Let's say HAL tried it, all the money spent would go directly to HAL, it would at least keep money in the bank, maybe not sustainable in the longer run, but it's better than going under now. 

While I like sea days and can do a number of them - it’s to get to an itinerary.  We are itinerary driven and happy to have some sea days to get there 😉 

I would NEVER get on a cruise ship just to do a cruise to nowhere. 

I love getting in “cruise mode” but I want my itinerary.  No cruise to nowhere ever for us.

• Like 3

So we did our first TA last fall and were concerned about how we would handle 7 days at sea.....in a row.....The time flew by and it was a blast....but more than 7 and I think it's too much....

We would book a 7 day cruise to nowhere......as long as it's one of the newer HAL ships (K dam, NS).

We're booked to sail in 12 days on an itinerary that has 5+2+2+1+6 seadays (with island ports between those days) (not counting embark/debark days). Additionally of the ten island ports, we do not have excursions or even plans for five of them. 

We've talked about it and agree that we're fine with missing any or all ports! I guess we would be good on a cruise to nowhere!

(We did take an upsell from inside-with-a-window to a Juliet balcony.)

• Like 2

Both DH and I really enjoy sea days, but if it came down to it, we wouldn't book a cruise to nowhere.  We would instead book a land vacation at a resort, because there would be better pool facilities and spa and more restaurant choices -- perhaps a beach.

I wish I could say yes to the idea, but for us it's no.

The risk of being denied docking applies to U.S. ports, too.  That's the exact situation Grand Princess is in.  It is our government who kept them parked at sea for the last few days.

1 minute ago, bEwAbG said:

The risk of being denied docking applies to U.S. ports, too.  That's the exact situation Grand Princess is in.  It is our government who kept them parked at sea for the last few days.

I think people forget that it is an age-old maritime tradition to quarantine sick ships.   If there are serious communicable diseases onboard, passengers and crew historically haven't been allowed to disembark.

I have my doubts that the government will do too many more of these extraordinary and heroic efforts to rescue and repatriate people, after they've been given so many warnings not to cruise.

• Like 3

All of you have good points. To clarify, it would not go two miles out and then circle, it would be international waters, with stops in ports for refueling and resupplying.  

There could also be ample opportunity for scenic cruising that would break up some of the monotony, particularly Alaska, I took an Alaskan ferry from Ketchikan to Bellingham many years ago and it was both relaxing and spectacular despite not stopping in a single port.

The important thing is to think outside the box because the problem the industry is having is not likely to go away soon, they can either have empty ships or try something new.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, atexsix said:

14 days would be a bit too much for me and hubby. But seven days would be fine. I’m like you I look for a cruise with as many at sea days as possible. I won’t book one with less than two. We are booked on March 27 with four sea days for a ten day cruise. That’s why we chose it plus it was a good price. 

• Like 1

The problem with cruises to nowhere is that you may not be able to disembark at any port.  or consider the Regal Princess which embarked from Port Everglades and only made it as far as off the coast of Miami, where it sat for many hours before returning to Port Everglades.  I have been an avid cruiser since the mid-70s and have never seen anything like what is happening now.  It is becoming difficult to separate panic from smart.

Hank

• Like 2

If it happened in the Caribbean where I have been most places, no big deal. Our last cruise was not unlike that due to weather and technical difficulties. Had I bought expensive airfare to Europe, Asia, Australia etc only to get on a ship that does wheelies in the parking lot, I'd be upset, very upset. 

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

I think people forget that it is an age-old maritime tradition to quarantine sick ships.   If there are serious communicable diseases onboard, passengers and crew historically haven't been allowed to disembark.

I have my doubts that the government will do too many more of these extraordinary and heroic efforts to rescue and repatriate people, after they've been given so many warnings not to cruise.

I could not agree more with this. The warning has now landed loud and clear, enter at your own risk. Make a good decision for yourself, family and the communities you may impact. With the given information going forward do not expect the calvery to continue to come to the rescue if you get into trouble for too much longer. From this point on it's like walking straight into propeller, wondering why your head hurts and expecting compensation from the cruise lines and help from the goverment if things go sideways. I'm heartsick for the passengers that are ALREADY booked trying to re-coup/reschedule and for those that walked into this at ground zero that are still dealing with this.       

5 hours ago, atexsix said:

All of you have good points. To clarify, it would not go two miles out and then circle, it would be international waters, with stops in ports for refueling and resupplying.  

There could also be ample opportunity for scenic cruising that would break up some of the monotony, particularly Alaska, I took an Alaskan ferry from Ketchikan to Bellingham many years ago and it was both relaxing and spectacular despite not stopping in a single port.

The important thing is to think outside the box because the problem the industry is having is not likely to go away soon, they can either have empty ships or try something new.

If there is just one undiagnosed person who boards that cruise to nowhere, the closed-society ship will be like a virus Petri dish. It’s not just a port problem any more.

24 minutes ago, Donald said:

A cruise to nowhere; that is, a cruise that begins in one US Port and then returns to that same US port (without stopping at a foreign port) is illegal.

A cruise to nowhere is not illegal under the PVSA or any other law that I know of. However, they were stopped a while back because of a court ruling that the employees should be considered as US wage earners under several laws and regulations and employers would have to confirm to US wage and hour regulations.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, richwmn said:

A cruise to nowhere is not illegal under the PVSA or any other law that I know of. However, they were stopped a while back because of a court ruling that the employees should be considered as US wage earners under several laws and regulations and employers would have to confirm to US wage and hour regulations.

That's correct. I did not say that it is illegal under PVSA.

It is illegal because the foreign workers on a US-based cruise to nowhere are essentially working in the USA without proper visas, without following US labor laws, and without paying income taxes.

4 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

If there is just one undiagnosed person who boards that cruise to nowhere, the closed-society ship will be like a virus Petri dish. It’s not just a port problem any more.

In my humble opinion a Petri dish is used for bacteriological purposes 😉 

43 minutes ago, MAVIP said:

In my humble opinion a Petri dish is used for bacteriological purposes 😉 

Using the term from popular culture, metaphorically:

"The Petri dish is one of a small number of laboratory equipment items whose name entered popular culture. It is often used metaphorically, e. g. for a contained community that is being studied as if they were microorganisms in a biology experiment..."

3 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Using the term from popular culture, metaphorically:

"The Petri dish is one of a small number of laboratory equipment items whose name entered popular culture. It is often used metaphorically, e. g. for a contained community that is being studied as if they were microorganisms in a biology experiment..."

"virus" was added by Caribbean Chris to "Petri dish". thanks for pointing extra to the metaphore 🙂 

"Petri Dish" is yet another cutsy name dreamed up by the media (social, print and broadcast) to drive eyeballs and clicks to their sites.   They could not care less if their many exaggerations destroys the travel industry and the jobs of millions.  It's all about ratings and $$$. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/9/2020 at 12:39 AM, atexsix said:

I think HAL could do cruise to and from half Moon Cay which is their own island.  At least that would be something and better than nothing.

I think the time has come for cruise ships to be excluded from that PVA once and for all.  If the President proposed this and it passed he would suddenly have more fans at least for a while.  The PVA should at least be overturned for Alaska and New England cruises.