Prices holding steady. What will happen tomorrow?

JamieLogical

The cruise issue will ramp up if and when a mega-ship needs to be quarantined. So far the 2 Princess ship were both in the upper 2,000 and they are scrambling where to put these people. What happens when it comes to 4000 to 6000 people needing to be isolated. If that happens I can see the government just outright stopping cruises. They can't stop them them but they can prevent them from using US ports.

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Well, since NCL isn't allowing people to cancel until tomorrow, I don't think we'll see new cabins open up until then unless people are using their own CFAR insurance.

I forgot about the 10th being the first effective day of the new policy.  Thanks for reminding me!

19 minutes ago, phillyguy31 said:

The cruise issue will ramp up if and when a mega-ship needs to be quarantined. So far the 2 Princess ship were both in the upper 2,000 and they are scrambling where to put these people. What happens when it comes to 4000 to 6000 people needing to be isolated. If that happens I can see the government just outright stopping cruises. They can't stop them them but they can prevent them from using US ports.

Yep.  The CDC just issued a no sail order for a ship just to test two asymptomatic crew and the President recently said that it would have been his preference to prevent the other Princess ship from docking.

The chance of an infected person boarding any particular ship increases more and more every day.  Exponentially.  It feels like there is some delusion going on here at CC about where this is all headed but I guess that is understandable.  We wouldn’t be here if we didn’t love cruising.

Edited by Regguy

35 minutes ago, brovol said:

My speculation is that there will not be a mass exodus; at least not right away.  If the NCL gave everyone three days to decide, and after that the offer is gone I think there would be mass cancellations.  I bet most will wait for now.  There is no penalty no to wait.  If I was NCL I would have put a deadline to cancel of ten or fourteen days before sailing, so that they still have enough time to refill the cabins.

Not to be a Debbie Downer but....last Thursday NCL changed final payment to 90 days out, by Saturday that offer had disappeared.  I had an email from my TA Thursday or Friday about that stating I had until 3/15 to cancel for full refund; today she tells me “things are changing by the day, today it is 25% penalty for us to cancel” for a June 14 cruise.  What assurance is there that the FCC offer will be good indefinitely?  Just wondering....

I just called NCL (am booked thru TA, but she said I had to do this directly with NCL) and removed UBP, SDP and prepaid DSC and got a refund to my credit card.  If we decide to sail I’ll add them back, but for now at least we have this cash back in our pockets.  

• Like 1

I t should be kept in mind that they stated in their FAQ's "Norwegian Cruise Line reserves the right to modify the policy at any time. Any changes will be communicated." However I wouldn't expect this to change to in the near future.

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

I let my roll call know my parents are cancelling, because I had signed them up for the M&G. But I haven't seen anyone else posting about canceling yet in either of my roll calls. I'm not on the FB for either roll call though and it seems most of the activity happens over there.

Just to let you know, DH (85) and I (70) got back from the Bliss yesterday.  I didn't even see the "usual amount" of colds and coughs on the ship.  It was a great trip...maybe DH's favorite.  I'm glad we went.

• Like 2

Carnival brands are now offering OBC to people who don’t cancel. In fact, they’re simply loading it onto every booked cruise automatically (not just new bookings) for sailings up to May 31. I wonder if NCL will follow suit? I don’t know if that would slow down cancellations.

Edited by coastcat

4 minutes ago, coastcat said:

Carnival brands are now offering OBC to people who don’t cancel. In fact, they’re simply loading it onto every booked cruise automatically (not just new bookings) for sailings up to May 31. I wonder if NCL will follow suit? I don’t know if that would slow down cancellations.

I was hoping they would follow Carnival's example before they announced their cancellation policy Friday, because I would have loved $400 in OBC over my two sailings, but I was disappointed to see no announcement as such when NCL finally came out with their new policy. I assume if they were going to do it, they would have announced it at the same time as the new cancellation policy, they way Carnival did. But I do have an email into my PCC asking her if NCL will follow suit. I also think offering OBC to keep your booking might discourage people from using the cancellation to just try to leverage a better deal on a near-term sailing.

• Like 2

I'm hoping for things to open up after tomorrow. I'd really like to get an upgrade. I've been watching prices and openings everyday. Only thing I see changing is the Haven's are sold out again. We sail 3/21. So I'm crossing my fingers that we can get an upgrade.

I have been tracking the Escape for this Saturday the 14th and it just increased $50 to $449 for an inside.  I was pretty sure the price would bottom out.  It is now running $140 over the sailing that departed on the 7th that ended up at $309.

Edited by ray98

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I let my roll call know my parents are cancelling, because I had signed them up for the M&G. But I haven't seen anyone else posting about canceling yet in either of my roll calls. I'm not on the FB for either roll call though and it seems most of the activity happens over there.

I am cancelling for your sailing (15th) ... I did not announce my plans on the roll call as I really haven't been too active there anyway (I am not on the FB one either), but I did have my name added for activities so I have let the organizer know to now remove.

Edited by poffles

6 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I am sailing on the 3/15 and 3/22 sailings of the Bliss. I track pricing every day and so far, prices have not budged since the announcement of the new cancellation on Friday. Looks to me like they have "locked" pricing at least until the new policy kicks in tomorrow. After tomorrow, when people begin cancelling their bookings in droves, do you think pricing for the March and April sailings will plummet? What have you seen with the pricing on your upcoming sailings over the past few days? 

they removed the solo discount for my dawn april cruise and for the bliss april panama canal in april im watching.

dawn 10day is now like $2000 solo where it was $900 last fri.

bliss was $1200 solo last fri. now $2k+

😞

Edited by fstuff1

The price for the cruise I booked in January 2021 is significantly higher now than when I booked.  i would think they that wouldn't modify their prices at all until after the pay in full date as usual.  Now with the cancel anytime prior to 48 hours deal I have no idea how they will work their prices.  I can see it causing a real havoc if they lower the prices and people are cancelling and re-booking up to 48 hours prior to a cruise.

According to another thread (because really, that's what we need...more threads), the prices are jumping up significantly.  So NCL might have decided to skip the whole "good promos" portion, and jumped right into the inflate prices period, thus causing anyone who cancels tomorrow using a FCC to fork over more cash out of pocket, as their new cruise will likely be more than what they are getting back.  

2 minutes ago, HippoSail said:

Someone in our roll call said, "They sent travel agents an email stating that they would not be giving any upgrades and only 25% of price drop amounts in on board credits."

25% of what price drop amounts? Right now, all pricing seems to be holding steady or increasing.

5 minutes ago, HippoSail said:

Someone in our roll call said, "They sent travel agents an email stating that they would not be giving any upgrades and only 25% of price drop amounts in on board credits."

Any amount less than when you booked. Our stateroom is down $500 from when we booked last May and our cruise is this May. Thinking of cashing in on the OBC now, if what people said above is true and prices may rise.

Its apparent that if you utilize Peace of Mind then you will do so at a cost as most prices have risen. In the FAQ's it says you will be responsible for difference in price. So its probably a way to recoup their losses so when you go to re-book you are almost guaranteed to pay more. 

What happens if there is a difference in cruise fare between the future cruise credit (FCC) issued and the future booking?

If the cruise fare for the new booking exceeds the FCC’s value, guests will be responsible for the difference. Alternatively, if the new cruise fare is lower than the FCC’s value, a new FCC will be issued for the remaining balance.

9 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I am sailing on the 3/15 and 3/22 sailings of the Bliss. I track pricing every day and so far, prices have not budged since the announcement of the new cancellation on Friday. Looks to me like they have "locked" pricing at least until the new policy kicks in tomorrow. After tomorrow, when people begin cancelling their bookings in droves, do you think pricing for the March and April sailings will plummet? What have you seen with the pricing on your upcoming sailings over the past few days? 

Prices went up for the sailings I was looking at. Not just up but significantly up. 

I think, cruise lines will raise the price. They have to cut losses from cancellations or whatever reason, I do not see drastic reductions over the board.

Have  a wonderful cruise on the Bliss! I am looking forward to reading about it! Will you be doing a "Live and Logical with Jamie"?

Edited by Arzeena