How bad will NCL's reservation desk be tomorrow?

jxtgreek

I have a wife with Rheumatoid Arthritis and our cruise was to begin 3/22 so I will be calling first thing tomorrow and staying on hold as long as it takes to cancel and get a future cruise credit.  No point in taking any chances.  So, unscientific survey here....who else is calling tomorrow and why?  

Why are you waiting until tomorrow to call? The letter says the cancellation is good for sailings from March 10, 2020-September 30, 2020. You should have been able to call and cancel when the letter was sent out on Friday evening!

I have NO idea. But I would HOPE they set up some kind of online system where people who simply want to cancel and get a FCC so they can book another cruise at a some point in the future can do so without calling in.  We'll see!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, susanf31 said:

I have NO idea. But I would HOPE they set up some kind of online system where people who simply want to cancel and get a FCC so they can book another cruise at a some point in the future can do so without calling in.  We'll see!

NCL's IT department isn't know as an industry leader, so I wouldn't put much hope into seeing that come out.

• Like 1

just a FYI for anyone reading this.   I just called NCL  wait was only a couple minutes.  Unfortunately new policy doesn't start until tomorrow so they could do nothing for me today.  I have to call back.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jxtgreek said:

The email from NCL said "Beginning March 10th"  I guess I could try calling and see

From reading on cruisecritic  no cancellations until tomorrow some have already tried

sorry just seen your post

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beckym729 said:

Why are you waiting until tomorrow to call? The letter says the cancellation is good for sailings from March 10, 2020-September 30, 2020. You should have been able to call and cancel when the letter was sent out on Friday evening!

Here is the statement within the "Peace of Mind" FAQ's

Those interested in canceling and opting for a FCC should call Norwegian Cruise Line beginning March 11, 2020 at 1-800-327-7030 (U.S. and Canada).

7 minutes ago, JandC_Cruising said:

Here is the statement within the "Peace of Mind" FAQ's

Those interested in canceling and opting for a FCC should call Norwegian Cruise Line beginning March 11, 2020 at 1-800-327-7030 (U.S. and Canada).

Is that only for those that booked directly via NCL ? - If you booked via a travel agent - the ASSUMPTION is that you would contact that Travel Agent to cancel (???)

OK, I have solid  info.  I booked thru a TA.  I asked about cancelling for a refund based on the 90 days cancellation (I was told last Thursday I had until 3/15 to get my cash refund) and was told if I cancel for a refund today there is a 25% penalty, things are changing daily.  I asked about removing DSC, UBP, SDP for a cash refund, and she said for that I had to call NCL directly—about 5 mins hold time about 30 mins ago; rep had to get supervisor, all 3 removed and stated will be credited back to my card, total call time maybe 20 mins (a bit of a wait for supervisor).

1 hour ago, beckym729 said:

I called Friday when they announced this offer and was told directly that they would not (could not) do anything until the 10th tomorrow.  Assume this is to allow behind the scenes prep to be done before they can action this and to allow TAs to be ready?

Oh and I called CAS which would be considered a TA, this was not through NCL.  I dialed NCL first and once they realized I booked through CAS they transferred me there so don't think anything is changing in that regard.  If booked with a TA then you still call your TA.

Edited by poffles

8 minutes ago, erdoran said:

OK, I have solid  info.  I booked thru a TA.  I asked about cancelling for a refund based on the 90 days cancellation (I was told last Thursday I had until 3/15 to get my cash refund) and was told if I cancel for a refund today there is a 25% penalty, things are changing daily.  I asked about removing DSC, UBP, SDP for a cash refund, and she said for that I had to call NCL directly—about 5 mins hold time about 30 mins ago; rep had to get supervisor, all 3 removed and stated will be credited back to my card, total call time maybe 20 mins (a bit of a wait for supervisor).

Sorry  - can you tell me what those initials stand for that you received refunds for? I was able to receive refunds for beverage package and dining taxes...I just want to make sure I cover everything. Thank you! 

1 hour ago, jxtgreek said:

just a FYI for anyone reading this.   I just called NCL  wait was only a couple minutes.  Unfortunately new policy doesn't start until tomorrow so they could do nothing for me today.  I have to call back.

Nothing more accurate than 'from the horses mouth'  🙂 

Guess we shall all see what tomorrow holds.  Could be interesting how it all goes, hopefully the lead time for the change makes it a more seamless experience ... a girl can hope LOL

8 minutes ago, Booboochase said:

Sorry  - can you tell me what those initials stand for that you received refunds for? I was able to receive refunds for beverage package and dining taxes...I just want to make sure I cover everything. Thank you! 

Not my post but 

DSC - Daily Service Charge (Gratuities)

UBP - Ultimate Beverage Package

SDP - Specialty Dining Plan

4 minutes ago, Booboochase said:

Thank you poffles! As a side note, if you are looking to get excursions refunded, do it prior to tomorrow or it would probably go into FCC.  

Welcome!

The only thing I added was prepaid the Service Charge, the only other thing was the taxes on the 'free included' Beverage and Dining packages so don't think any of those things can be canceled. 

Edited by poffles

i already called and rebooked for october so i could reserve the cabin and dates i wanted. did have to put down a new deposit but will call later this week or next to cancel our sailing for 3/29.  highly recommend anyone with a specific want to do that. had ZERO problem getting ahold of someone on the new reservations line.

4 minutes ago, festivusmiracle said:

i already called and rebooked for october so i could reserve the cabin and dates i wanted. did have to put down a new deposit but will call later this week or next to cancel our sailing for 3/29.  highly recommend anyone with a specific want to do that. had ZERO problem getting ahold of someone on the new reservations line.

My understanding in the FAQ is that the FCC will only be usable on 'NEW' bookings.  It would not be a new booking if you already booked, they may not allow the application of that FCC to that booking.

That said, who knows since there are often many translations 🙂

Edited by poffles

2 hours ago, jxtgreek said:

I have a wife with Rheumatoid Arthritis and our cruise was to begin 3/22 so I will be calling first thing tomorrow and staying on hold as long as it takes to cancel and get a future cruise credit.  No point in taking any chances.  So, unscientific survey here....who else is calling tomorrow and why?  

we  are still deciding whether to cancel or not.  we really dont want to! the virus has not spread to caribbean so far. by the way, I am finding this website very difficult to use.  I am seeing responses that are years old.  

3 minutes ago, poffles said:

My understanding in the FAQ is that the FCC will only be usable on 'NEW' bookings.  It would not be a new booking if you already booked, they may not allow the application of that FCC to that booking.

That said, who knows since there are often many translations 🙂

According to the two different people I talked to they said I could do it. will confirm again when i call to cancel my booking for the end of the month. when you call to cancel you receive a FCC, it takes 5-10 business days to show up on your account. when its time to make final payment you call and tell them you have a FCC that you want to apply. thats it.

5 minutes ago, festivusmiracle said:

According to the two different people I talked to they said I could do it. will confirm again when i call to cancel my booking for the end of the month. when you call to cancel you receive a FCC, it takes 5-10 business days to show up on your account. when its time to make final payment you call and tell them you have a FCC that you want to apply. thats it.

Oh okay ... good to know.  I am already eyeing one sailing that I can align with a cruise I already have booked with another line next year, I figure that way I save on airfare.  I will wait though to get the FCC, hopefully it all works out for everyone.