Canadians advised to avoid cruising

bebe08

They have to go over the top because they know a certain percentage of people are just not going to listen to them (especially the ones that don't like the Liberal government 🙂 ). If they said "just be careful", every one is going to ignore them. Extra medical supplies, chartering planes and quarantining people at CFB Trenton cost $$$.

That said, it sucks that they're targeting cruise lines when other things like public places and airplane poses risks as well.

• Like 2

I think the difficulty with cruise ships as apposed to airplanes is the difficulty that arises when someone onboard becomes sick...no one wants the ship in their port.  While I agree planes pose a risk as well, you are on a plane typically for hours not days, and there are a lot less people on a plane vs a ship.  That said, wouldn't be surprised to see further restrictions or recommendations from both our Canadian govt and the US govt in the coming days.

I think one of 2 things will happen:  1) much greater restrictions will be imposed to try to limit spread of disease or 2) governments will decide it is too late to try to contain the spread of virus and will try to return to business as usual ie no quarantines etc, and deal with cases as required same as flu.  

• Like 1

I’m on a cruise now..... does that mean Zoolander and Morneau are going to send the Government plane to come get me?  Are they going to offer me compensation like the folks who were quarantined?

Yes, I have been on hold for 40 minutes now with my insurer. My concern is that because the government has issued an advisory against cruising, that insurers will not cover emergency medical expenses if one cruises anyway and gets sick.

UPDATE:  Insurer says that travel advisories related to coverage apply only to countries or regions, not by mode of transportation (so far) so that emergency medical coverage would apply even if we decide to cruise (should be boarding two weeks from today). Will still probably cancel to be on the safe side.

Edited by barb-ottawa

We’re on Silhouette right now for three in a row and wondering if we should head home after cruise number one.  We have had two medical non-corona evacuations and one death by falling...

the fear of quarantine is the major issue even if one is not sick..

the stock market guys are telling me that this issue is way more serious than the politicians are willing to admit.  (If you’re so smart why aren’t you rich) guys are making me poorer by the day.

12 minutes ago, Argo. said:

We’re on Silhouette right now for three in a row and wondering if we should head home after cruise number one.  We have had two medical non-corona evacuations and one death by falling...

the fear of quarantine is the major issue even if one is not sick..

the stock market guys are telling me that this issue is way more serious than the politicians are willing to admit.  (If you’re so smart why aren’t you rich) guys are making me poorer by the day.

Is it still business as usual onboard? We are boarding Sunday assuming no further issues.

17 minutes ago, barb-ottawa said:

Yes, I have been on hold for 40 minutes now with my insurer. My concern is that because the government has issued an advisory against cruising, that insurers will not cover emergency medical expenses if one cruises anyway and gets sick.

As I cancelled our April cruise, this is no longer an immediate issue for us and I haven't tried contacting our insurer. Nevertheless, I'd be interested in what your insurer has to say. The exclusions with our company (see below) are geographic in nature, and there's nothing dealing with the mode of transport. Even the Canadian travel alert system is set up this way, as a result of which government sites are talking about "recommendations" with respect to COVID-19, not travel advisories or formal notice.

Any illness, injury or medical condition you suffer or contract, or

any loss you incur in a specific country, region or area for which

the Government of Canada, including Foreign Affairs, Trade and

Development Canada, has issued a travel advisory or formal

notice, before your day of departure advising travellers to avoid

non-essential travel or to avoid all travel to that specific country,

region or area. If the travel advisory or formal notice is issued

after your day of departure, your coverage under this policy in

that specific country, region or area will be limited to a period of

10 days from the date the travel advisory or formal notice was

issued, or to a period that is reasonably necessary for you to safely

evacuate the country, region or area.

4 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

As I cancelled our April cruise, this is no longer an immediate issue for us and I haven't tried contacting our insurer. Nevertheless, I'd be interested in what your insurer has to say. The exclusions with our company (see below) are geographic in nature, and there's nothing dealing with the mode of transport. Even the Canadian travel alert system is set up this way, as a result of which government sites are talking about "recommendations" with respect to COVID-19, not travel advisories or formal notice.

Any illness, injury or medical condition you suffer or contract, or

any loss you incur in a specific country, region or area for which

the Government of Canada, including Foreign Affairs, Trade and

Development Canada, has issued a travel advisory or formal

notice, before your day of departure advising travellers to avoid

non-essential travel or to avoid all travel to that specific country,

region or area. If the travel advisory or formal notice is issued

after your day of departure, your coverage under this policy in

that specific country, region or area will be limited to a period of

10 days from the date the travel advisory or formal notice was

issued, or to a period that is reasonably necessary for you to safely

evacuate the country, region or area.

See above - updated my post to include the insurer's comment. Travel advisories relate to countries or regions, not mode of travel, so emergency medical coverage would not be affected if one decided to cruise anyway. But who knows if this might change.

30 minutes ago, SusieV said:

Is it still business as usual onboard? We are boarding Sunday assuming no further issues.

Life onboard is wonderful except for the windy conditions.  Even the outside burger bar was closed making the ocean view cafe a bit crowded at lunchtime.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Argo. said:

Life onboard is wonderful except for the windy conditions.  Even the outside burger bar was closed making the ocean view cafe a bit crowded at lunchtime.

Enjoy your time as best you can and Sail Smoothly.

28 minutes ago, barb-ottawa said:

See above - updated my post to include the insurer's comment. Travel advisories relate to countries or regions, not mode of travel, so emergency medical coverage would not be affected if one decided to cruise anyway. But who knows if this might change.

Good to see that your insurer has the same approach. We will have to wait and see whether the current situation and the "don't cruise" government recommendation will lead to changes.

35 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

not sure you can carry spray bottle onto plane....I'm taking Lysol wipes.

Yes you can. Several stores sell 3oz spray bottles that are approved to carry on airplanes. When sanitizing an airplane they spray, not wipe.

36 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

Southwest info page has:

If you bring your own hand or surface sanitizing items onboard, please use items that do not contain bleach, or have “plus bleach” on the label, as they risk damaging hard and soft surfaces.

Additionally, we request that Customers do not use aerosol or pump-spray cleaners, as those products cannot be contained to your personal space and may impact other Customers in the shared environment of our aircraft cabins.

1 hour ago, twins_to_alaska said:

Southwest info page has:

If you bring your own hand or surface sanitizing items onboard, please use items that do not contain bleach, or have “plus bleach” on the label, as they risk damaging hard and soft surfaces.

Additionally, we request that Customers do not use aerosol or pump-spray cleaners, as those products cannot be contained to your personal space and may impact other Customers in the shared environment of our aircraft cabins.

thx...good to know...I'll check labels.

5 hours ago, bebe08 said:

Just saw live press conference Canadian government public health agency is recommending Canadians avoid all cruise ship travel.

https://www.cbc.ca/news

Health officials now say Canadians should avoid all cruise ship travel.

From the Canada.ca site:

Avoid all cruise ship travel

The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) is recommending that Canadians avoid all cruise ship travel due to the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak.

Cruise passengers include travellers from around the world who may be arriving from areas with known or unknown spread of COVID-19. The virus can spread quickly on board cruises due to the close contact between passengers. Older people and people with a weakened immune system or underlying medical condition are at a higher risk of developing severe disease.

If an outbreak of COVID-19 occurs on your cruise ship:

• you could be subject to quarantine procedures, on-board ship or in a foreign country
  • the range of consular services available to those on cruise ships, in particular in situations of quarantine, may be significantly restricted by local authorities
  • upon return to Canada, you will be required to remain in mandatory isolation for 14 days at a location determined by the Chief Public Health Officer as per the terms of any applicable emergency orders

The decision on Minimizing the Risk of Exposure to COVID-19 Coronavirus Disease in Canada Order (Persons Not on Government Flight) is effective from February 19 to April 30, 2020.

Canadians who choose to voyage on a cruise ship should also be aware that they may not be offered the opportunity to return to Canada on a government-organized repatriation flight, or could be responsible for the costs of repatriation travel.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TorontoSailor said:

This is a non-partisan public health issue, not a political issue. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the sitting government. Just to be clear. 

Amen!

• Like 2

Myself and my husband are booked on a March 27th sailing on the Silhouette. We are in our 30s and very grateful to have great health. I am not concerned about getting the virus I am concerned about quarantines, insurance implications and potentially being stranded by our government as they have stated. We're probably going to play this out until the very last minute we can cancel and see how things progress. However, I really feel like this is an over reaction by our government, lets remember there's been 1 death in Canada. 

35 minutes ago, hlmmurphy said:

Myself and my husband are booked on a March 27th sailing on the Silhouette. We are in our 30s and very grateful to have great health. I am not concerned about getting the virus I am concerned about quarantines, insurance implications and potentially being stranded by our government as they have stated. We're probably going to play this out until the very last minute we can cancel and see how things progress. However, I really feel like this is an over reaction by our government, lets remember there's been 1 death in Canada. 

We were due to fly to Chile Wednesday morning to board a cruise ship on Sunday. I hope time will allow things to become clearer for everyone. We were not concerned about the virus, but the logistics with the advisory were just not viable. We did not have the luxury of time and made the heartwrenching decision to cancel.

So far, we have been able to get refunds (even points refunds), but I have yet to touche base with my credit card company about flights. Fingers crossed.

I think such statements are quite useless and merely an attempt to deflect any responsibility for what happens from them. Unless Governments have the gumption to say Do Not Travel then It's meaningless. But Governments don't want to do that as they don't want to make enemies with Companies and Countries. And Insurance won't pay out unless the Do Not Travel alert is issued - at least in Australia. 

4 hours ago, oceangoer2 said:

Lysol type wipes are the best but you can bring on 3 ounces in a pump sprayer.

Take care,

Mike