Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
bebe08

Canadians advised to avoid cruising

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I don't think they can change coverage retroactively. There is no precedent for modes of transportation being officially advised against; just locations. My Manulife coverage specifically states country, region, or city of my destination. That language does not apply to ships.

 

I'm sure they can change coverage for future policies, but not once the policy has been issued.

Edited by SusieV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SusieV said:

I don't think they can change coverage retroactively. There is no precedent for modes of transportation being officially advised against; just locations.

 

I'm sure they can change coverage for future policies, but not once the policy has been issued.

This is really not about changing retroactively. We just checked our policy from Orion Insurance, that was purchased before the advisory, and travel advisories issued by the Canadian government are listed in the “exclusions” section.

 

Our suggestion would be to read your policies for specific inclusions. It is time well spent.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Schmoe38 said:

This is really not about changing retroactively. We just checked our policy from Orion Insurance, that was purchased before the advisory, and travel advisories issued by the Canadian government are listed in the “exclusions” section.

 

Our suggestion would be to read your policies for specific inclusions. It is time well spent.

 

 

 

 

Like I said- I just went through all the fine print. It does not in any way, shape, or form mention modes of transportation. It says advisories related to a region, country, or city. That would not include a ship, much as they would like it to. Nor does it just say advisory; it says advisory related to.

 

I suspect wording will change on future policies, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my two major concerns;

1) the recommendation/warning to Canadians stated that Canada may not be open to repatriation of anyone requiring quarantine. I am reading over things and that says to me that if we were unlucky and our ship was flagged and we required transport back to Trenton air base - that it will be on our dime and would need to cover cost of repatriation.

 

2) medical travel insurance we have with work and credit card - concerned that it may not cover health conditions that arise after Canada's warning against cruising.

 

Thoughts? Would really like to go but these two things really stand out as scary red-flags.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, SusieV said:

Like I said- I just went through all the fine print. It does not in any way, shape, or form mention modes of transportation. It says advisories related to a region, country, or city. That would not include a ship, much as they would like it to. Nor does it just say advisory; it says advisory related to.

 

I suspect wording will change on future policies, though.

This is was I was told by Allianz Canada related to Susie V's comment.  Travel advisory does not include "mode of transportation" but does regarding region, country etc. 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by sazznfreddy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I call my insurance,  i am cover if I am sick with coronavirus, hospital bill but not cover for quarantine, repatriation du to the travel advisory.  Call your insurance don’t interpret the print. So for us we have to cancel our Silhouette march 15 cruise.  Not because we don,t want to go just it’s financial risk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are. Grouo of 32 and everybody call their insurance company and nobody was cover fully for medical if a travel advisory is made, even if all the destinations are safe, they consider cruising as a destination.  Be aware, call your insurance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a new travel alert posted on the Celebrity site today and new protocols to be put in place soon. Should be released later this week. I think some of these new protocols would address concern of quarantine and repatriation.   I have asked my insurer very specifically if  I covered and the answer is yes. Cruise is viewed as mode of transportation and not a country or region. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Global Excel insurance will NOT cover medical expenses, so we must cancel.  Our cruise is in April, and will hold out for a couple more weeks in case the travel advisory for cruises is lifted.  Chances are probably slim...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Schmoe38 said:

We had a cruise scheduled for April 11/20 on Equinox. We purchased travel and medical insurance through CAA. Their insurer (Orion Insurance) has changed their policy, effective today to say, if there has been a travel warning issued by a Canadian Gov’t authority and you choose to ignore that warning, you will not be covered and, in essence, will be travelling uninsured. Orion expects other insurers to change their policy in short order if they have not already done so. We did not receive a formal notification of this change. It only came about when we cancelled our cruise this morning, and called CAA to cancel our policy.

 

For all of our Canadian cruisers...the Canadian travel warning covers all cruises to July 1/20. Please do not cruise uninformed. 
 

Please check with your insurer and then make the decision that is right for you.

 

Randy

I talked yesterday to CAA as we are also covered with Orion. They advised me the complete opposite.  They advised me that because it was only a recommendation from the Travel advisory & it was not one of the Gov’t level 3 or 4 they would not give me back my money & since the policy was bought before this started that I would be covered for medical.

Did you actually speak with Orion or was it CAA. We have a b2b on April 12 on the Eclipse. Would really like a definite resolution to all this
Shirley

Edited by If only

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, If only said:

I talked yesterday to CAA as we are also covered with Orion. They advised me the complete opposite.  They advised me that because it was only a recommendation from the Travel advisory & it was not one of the Gov’t level 3 or 4 they would not give me back my money & since the policy was bought before this started that I would be covered for medical.

Did you actually speak with Orion or was it CAA. We have a b2b on April 12 on the Eclipse. Would really like a definite resolution to all this
Shirley

Shirley

 

We talked with Orion yesterday and they suggested a new policy was just implemented. We talked with CAA today and the discussion was a lot less clear. In fact, the CAA person suggested the situation was a Level 4. We purchased our policy well before coronavirus was an issue. We didn’t want to take a chance of incorrect information over the phone by anyone, so we cancelled our April 11th cruise. We were referenced to #23 in the Trip Cancellation section of the policy.

 

Randy

Edited by Schmoe38

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My cruise is from Alaska to Vancouver. My policy was bought in the USA. If Canda has a travel 3 or 4 travel advisory I wonder if that affects my policy?

 

My policy doesn't have any epidemic or pandemic exclusions. When I talked to an agent yesterday she was saying something about cancellation if AK was a 3 or 4. I was so tired last night. Agent picked up after a 3 hour hold (past my bedtime). Thank goodness my DH listened in to the call.

 

How do I find out if Canda has a number?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

My cruise is from Alaska to Vancouver. My policy was bought in the USA. If Canda has a travel 3 or 4 travel advisory I wonder if that affects my policy?

 

My policy doesn't have any epidemic or pandemic exclusions. When I talked to an agent yesterday she was saying something about cancellation if AK was a 3 or 4. I was so tired last night. Agent picked up after a 3 hour hold (past my bedtime). Thank goodness my DH listened in to the call.

 

How do I find out if Canda has a number?

 

Since your insurance is in the US, they will most likely based it on the travel advisory from the US government:

 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Canada.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Schmoe38 said:

Shirley

 

We talked with Orion yesterday and they suggested a new policy was just implemented. We talked with CAA today and the discussion was a lot less clear. In fact, the CAA person suggested the situation was a Level 4. We purchased our policy well before coronavirus was an issue. We didn’t want to take a chance of incorrect information over the phone by anyone, so we cancelled our April 11th cruise. We were referenced to #23 in the Trip Cancellation section of the policy.

 

Randy

Hi Randy

Very frustrating to get misinformation from CAA.  I went on Orion’s website & have sent an email directly to them for clarification. for the following:
1.  if we can cancel & give us a full refund through submitting a claim.

2.  If we go will they cover any medical as policy was before this took place.( which I really don’t want to do under the circumstances).

3.  if they will cancel policy & refund money paid for Vacation package if we take Celebrity’s offer.

CAA has stated that the Gov’t has not issued a “Avoid all non essential travel”..
Are you telling me that you submitted a claim to Orion & getting full payment back from them?
 

Shirley

 

Edited by If only

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

My cruise is from Alaska to Vancouver. My policy was bought in the USA. If Canda has a travel 3 or 4 travel advisory I wonder if that affects my policy?

 

My policy doesn't have any epidemic or pandemic exclusions. When I talked to an agent yesterday she was saying something about cancellation if AK was a 3 or 4. I was so tired last night. Agent picked up after a 3 hour hold (past my bedtime). Thank goodness my DH listened in to the call.

 

How do I find out if Canda has a number?

I believe that a policy purchased in the US would base its exclusion on US travel advisories, not those issued by Canada. Either way, neither Canada nor the US has issued a travel advisory for Alaska.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, If only said:

Hi Randy

Very frustrating to get misinformation from CAA.  I went on Orion’s website & have sent an email directly to them for clarification. for the following:
1.  if we can cancel & give us a full refund through submitting a claim.

2.  If we go will they cover any medical as policy was before this took place.( which I really don’t want to do under the circumstances).

3.  if they will cancel policy & refund money paid for Vacation package if we take Celebrity’s offer.


Shirley

Hi Shirley

 

We just did the same thing. I don’t want to stir the pot any, but what happens to your future cruise credit if the Celebrity brand does not survive all of this? That might be a stretch, but in this environment, we may see some corporate casualties. Royal Caribbean stock is already down 50% in the last month. Perhaps we would be better off making a claim with Orion by cancelling through the Standard Cancellation program rather than the Cruise with Confidence program. Just not sure.

 

Not sure how long it will take for Orion to respond, but I suspect it will not be soon.

 

We have asked for the paperwork necessary for any claim just to be prepared.

 

Randy

Edited by Schmoe38

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Schmoe38 said:

Hi Shirley

 

We just did the same thing. I don’t want to stir the pot any, but what happens to your future cruise credit if the Celebrity brand does not survive all of this? That might be a stretch, but in this environment, we may see some corporate casualties. Royal Caribbean stock is already down 50% in the last month. Perhaps we would be better off making a claim with Orion by cancelling through the Standard Cancellation program rather than the Cruise with Confidence program. Just not sure.

 

Not sure how long it will take for Orion to respond, but I suspect it will not be soon.

 

Randy

Hi Randy

We met you & your lovely wife (sorry I cannot remember her name) on a previous cruise.  David knocked over his champagne!!!  I’m sure you remember that.

We feel the same as you do, we love cruising but who knows what will happen & this is the first time we had booked b2b, just my luck.    I know that CAA are only the brokers but they should know Orion’s company policy.  I will let you know if we hear back.

Shirley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shirley

 

The Government of Canada has not issued an “Avoid all non essential travel” advisory. Here is the actual wording from the Government of Canada website that refers specifically to cruise ship travel;

 

Avoid all cruise ship travel

The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) is recommending that Canadians avoid all cruise ship travel due to the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak.

Cruise passengers include travellers from around the world who may be arriving from areas with known or unknown spread of COVID-19. The virus can spread quickly on board cruises due to the close contact between passengers. Older people and people with a weakened immune system or underlying medical condition are at a higher risk of developing severe disease.

Recent cruise ship outbreaks of COVID-19 indicate that a large number of individuals onboard can become infected. While the majority of affected passengers may experience mild symptoms, there have been a significant number of cases requiring hospitalization and critical care, and some deaths have been reported.

 

This warning for cruise ship travel appears to be consistent with a Level 4 warning.

 

Randy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Schmoe38 said:

Shirley

 

The Government of Canada has not issued an “Avoid all non essential travel” advisory. Here is the actual wording from the Government of Canada website that refers specifically to cruise ship travel;

 

Avoid all cruise ship travel

The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) is recommending that Canadians avoid all cruise ship travel due to the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak.

Cruise passengers include travellers from around the world who may be arriving from areas with known or unknown spread of COVID-19. The virus can spread quickly on board cruises due to the close contact between passengers. Older people and people with a weakened immune system or underlying medical condition are at a higher risk of developing severe disease.

Recent cruise ship outbreaks of COVID-19 indicate that a large number of individuals onboard can become infected. While the majority of affected passengers may experience mild symptoms, there have been a significant number of cases requiring hospitalization and critical care, and some deaths have been reported.

 

This warning for cruise ship travel appears to be consistent with a Level 4 warning.

 

Randy

Randy

Global Affairs Canada has to put it out no the Travel Advisory.

if we could just convince CAA or Orion of that.

Edited by If only

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, If only said:

Hi Randy

We met you & your lovely wife (sorry I cannot remember her name) on a previous cruise.  David knocked over his champagne!!!  I’m sure you remember that.

We feel the same as you do, we love cruising but who knows what will happen & this is the first time we had booked b2b, just my luck.    I know that CAA are only the brokers but they should know Orion’s company policy.  I will let you know if we hear back.

Shirley

Hi Shirley

 

Of course we remember (meeting the 2 of you...not David losing his grip on his champagne after we experienced a speed bump). I believe we met on Equinox in 2016. My wife’s name is Connie.

Perhaps we can correspond further by email. Our address is rathwells at rogers dot com

 

Randy

Edited by Schmoe38

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NOTE:

 

A Canadian passenger repatriated to Trenton from the Grand Princess has tested positive for Covid19!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, TK42799 said:

I believe we all appreciate the well intentioned posts being made here however, I would recommend all to contact their individual insurance companies for specific interpretations as to applicable coverage. 

I will share that I "was" scheduled to depart this coming Sunday March 15, 2020 on Silhouette however, will now be cancelling this cruise after confirming with my insurance provider that the Travel Advisory issued by the GOC is deemed to meet the element required for Part II - Additional Exclusions & Limitations of coverage.  

As quoted in a previous post, 10 days from the date the travel advisory or formal notice was issued, or to a period that is reasonably necessary for you to safely evacuate the country, region or area. After this time, Medical/Trip Interruption/Trip Cancellation coverage is now excluded or limited. 

For my own personal mind and well being, I cannot fathom the thought of any trip outside Canada without insurance coverage. 

I hope like all that this matter ends quickly and my prayers go out to all who are currently having to deal with this...

 

Cheers

We’re on Silhouette for that cruise.  What insurance company has denied the coverage?  I’m worried and want to go home but I can’t convince my wife.  If the information on insurance is correct I’ll try harder ...  I really fear that pax from affected states are now the real threat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Argo. said:

We’re on Silhouette for that cruise.  What insurance company has denied the coverage?  I’m worried and want to go home but I can’t convince my wife.  If the information on insurance is correct I’ll try harder ...  I really fear that pax from affected states are now the real threat.

MEDOC travel insurance which is connected with Global Excel Insurance which is underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company of Canada. I now have an open claim (trip interruption) as my trip actually started in January (snowbirds) and we don't return to Canada until late April. All our medical coverages remain intact and fully covered for the duration of our trip in the U.S.- minus the addition of our mid-trip cruise trip to which I was advised falls under the Additional Exclusions & Limitations of Coverage clause. 

Definitely, call your insurance provider and confirm...hope this helps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TK42799 said:

MEDOC travel insurance which is connected with Global Excel Insurance which is underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company of Canada. I now have an open claim (trip interruption) as my trip actually started in January (snowbirds) and we don't return to Canada until late April. All our medical coverages remain intact and fully covered for the duration of our trip in the U.S.- minus the addition of our mid-trip cruise trip to which I was advised falls under the Additional Exclusions & Limitations of Coverage clause. 

Definitely, call your insurance provider and confirm...hope this helps. 

I've held an annual policy with MEDOC for several years, and read the policy with great care. The current policy states the following under Additional Exclusions & Limitations:

 

14. Any illness, injury or medical condition you suffer or contract, or any loss you incur in a specific country, region or area for which the Government of Canada, including Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada, has issued a travel advisory or formal notice, before your day of departure advising travellers to avoid non-essential travel or to avoid all travel to that specific country, region or area. If the travel advisory or formal notice is issued after your day of departure, your coverage under this policy in that specific country, region or area will be limited to a period of 10 days from the date the travel advisory or formal notice was issued, or to a period that is reasonably necessary for you to safely evacuate the country, region or area.

 

This clearly addresses geographic advisories and does not include recommendations made by Public Health Agency Canada with respect to mode of transport. Consequently, the advice you were provided seems to be in conflict with the actual policy. This leads me to the following question: who provided you this advice? 

 

I ask the question because my DW had a medical issue during a cruise last summer which resulted in a claim in excess of $10,000. While it was paid in full in the end, I had a bit of a tussle with Global Excel over a couple of expenses, one for several hundred dollars, for which I was initially told there was no coverage. I pursued the issue several levels higher and received confirmation that of course it was covered. 

 

So if your advice was provided by a front line staff member and seems to be at odds with the published policy, you might want to pursue it up the line.

 

It's also worth mentioning that MEDOC has added a page to its website dealing with travel insurance and coronavirus which reaffirms the existing policy:

 

Important Notice: Travel Insurance & Coronavirus 

As the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to spread we encourage our customers to regularly visit the Government of Canada’s Travel Advice and Advisories page for the most up to date information when making travel plans (travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories).

 

Travelling to a destination that has received an advisory of “Avoid all travel” or “Avoid non-essential travel” can impact your travel insurance coverage. Travel arrangements made to a destination after it has received such an advisory are not eligible for medical coverage or trip cancellation/interruption coverage. Please refer to your policy wording for more details.

 

Health Canada and the World Health Organization (WHO) also regularly post important information and advice to stay safe.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...