Canadians advised to avoid cruising

bebe08

5 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

This clearly addresses geographic advisories and does not include recommendations made by Public Health Agency Canada with respect to mode of transport.

Although I have not checked with MEDOC about cruising (since I’m not scheduled to go on one until January, 2021), I have been reviewing my policy with an eye on our planned travel to Europe in June.  I agree with your statement; destinations and modes of travel are much different animals.

In addition to my MEDOC insurance I’m contemplating joining Medjet Assist.  Do you have any experience with them?

22 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I've held an annual policy with MEDOC for several years, and read the policy with great care. The current policy states the following under Additional Exclusions & Limitations:

14. Any illness, injury or medical condition you suffer or contract, or any loss you incur in a specific country, region or area for which the Government of Canada, including Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada, has issued a travel advisory or formal notice, before your day of departure advising travellers to avoid non-essential travel or to avoid all travel to that specific country, region or area. If the travel advisory or formal notice is issued after your day of departure, your coverage under this policy in that specific country, region or area will be limited to a period of 10 days from the date the travel advisory or formal notice was issued, or to a period that is reasonably necessary for you to safely evacuate the country, region or area.

This clearly addresses geographic advisories and does not include recommendations made by Public Health Agency Canada with respect to mode of transport. Consequently, the advice you were provided seems to be in conflict with the actual policy. This leads me to the following question: who provided you this advice? 

I ask the question because my DW had a medical issue during a cruise last summer which resulted in a claim in excess of $10,000. While it was paid in full in the end, I had a bit of a tussle with Global Excel over a couple of expenses, one for several hundred dollars, for which I was initially told there was no coverage. I pursued the issue several levels higher and received confirmation that of course it was covered. 

So if your advice was provided by a front line staff member and seems to be at odds with the published policy, you might want to pursue it up the line.

It's also worth mentioning that MEDOC has added a page to its website dealing with travel insurance and coronavirus which reaffirms the existing policy:

Important Notice: Travel Insurance & Coronavirus 

As the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to spread we encourage our customers to regularly visit the Government of Canada’s Travel Advice and Advisories page for the most up to date information when making travel plans (travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories).

Travelling to a destination that has received an advisory of “Avoid all travel” or “Avoid non-essential travel” can impact your travel insurance coverage. Travel arrangements made to a destination after it has received such an advisory are not eligible for medical coverage or trip cancellation/interruption coverage. Please refer to your policy wording for more details.

Health Canada and the World Health Organization (WHO) also regularly post important information and advice to stay safe.

Correct...I did speak to a front line representative who stated very clearly that the underwriters of the policy had reviewed and were interpreting the Travel Advisory posted by the GOC as meeting the element necessary to invoke para 14. 

We both know this was written way before contemplation that a cruise ship itself would be deemed not only as a destination but, be singularly focused as warranting it's own unique travel advisory. 

In the academic sense I would be very interested in challenging this at an adjudication hearing but, wouldn't even contemplate it on a personal level nor would I even think to offer such advice or opinion to anyone else. 

Everyone needs to do their own due diligence and ultimately, be personally comfortable with their own decisions. 

5 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Lets stop with the insanity.  Please

Very glad you, and other cruisers, are having a great time on the EDGE.

What insanity are you talking about?  The Canadian government’s recommendation to not travel on cruise ships or CC members discussing this recommendation and its possible impact on them and others?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Very glad you, and other cruisers, are having a great time on the EDGE.

What insanity are you talking about?  The Canadian government’s recommendation to not travel on cruise ships or CC members discussing this recommendation and its possible impact on them and others?

Edited by Luckiestmanonearth

1 hour ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

We’re on the Celebrity Edge right now with many Canadians onboard that aren’t too concerned about Canadian government warning nor of getting Coronavirus

Lets stop with the insanity.  Please

No insanity here.   Our Canadian Government advised Canadians to refrain from cruising 3 days ago.  Yesterday your government advised against cruising also.  Perhaps you haven't seen it on your news but I don't blame you.  You are on a cruise.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

Looks like there's a case in Toronto where a woman who tested positive after disembarking from a Caribbean cruise on March 8. Still waiting on confirmation of the ship.

"They say one of their patients, a woman in her 60s, returned to Canada on March 8 after embarking on a Celebrity Cruise that landed on the islands of St. Thomas, St. Martin, Barbados, Dominique, Grenada and Puerto Rico."

https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-reports-17-new-cases-of-covid-19-total-rises-to-59-1.4850163

Edited by GateGuardian
add info

On 3/9/2020 at 7:13 PM, bebe08 said:

Just saw live press conference Canadian government public health agency is recommending Canadians avoid all cruise ship travel.

https://www.cbc.ca/news

Health officials now say Canadians should avoid all cruise ship travel.

Iam not sure if you are aware but just yesterday the World Health Organization announced C-virus pandemia in the world. It wont take long till all the countries will close their borders. I wouldnt recommend going anywhere on anything either. Going to work is already dangerous, going to countries like Italy or China is even more dangerous. Save your money and have some good trip next year. Take care 

1 minute ago, snowowl said:

This is a screenshot of the earlier edition of the news.  Somehow the cruise line name has been edited from the current version.

1612360022_Screencapture1.thumb.JPG.faa35cafbc2d00f63c584b21205c807b.JPG

CP24/Citynews still have it (yes, I'm aware they're not that great as a news source compared to CBC)

Just got off the phone with Johnson/Medoc (actually Global Excel) after a 2 hour hold and have confirmed with them that I am eligible to claim for the March 23rd cruise on Reflection that I am about to cancel. They have opened a claim number for me, have sent me claim documents by email and have instructed me that I need to reject Celebrity's offer of Future Cruise Credits to be eligible for full reimbursement of my cruise, flights and non-refundable hotel. They did warn that in view of the current situation, the claim may take 2-3 weeks to settle.  I'd prefer to be sailing on March 23rd, but am happy to get a full refund instead of FCCs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, barb-ottawa said:

Just got off the phone with Johnson/Medoc (actually Global Excel) after a 2 hour hold and have confirmed with them that I am eligible to claim for the March 23rd cruise on Reflection that I am about to cancel. They have opened a claim number for me, have sent me claim documents by email and have instructed me that I need to reject Celebrity's offer of Future Cruise Credits to be eligible for full reimbursement of my cruise, flights and non-refundable hotel. They did warn that in view of the current situation, the claim may take 2-3 weeks to settle.  I'd prefer to be sailing on March 23rd, but am happy to get a full refund instead of FCCs.

I was wondering how FCC worked with travel insurance. My policy is the Nationwide Luxury cruise plan it could not work in my favor but there is hope. 

I spoke with a rep from Manulife insurance today (Canada) about my coverage for a mid April cruise, I wanted to be clear exactly where I stood about coverage.  I have medical and trip cancellation insurance.  

-  If I cancel the cruise before the travel day,  I will get a full refund for cruise and air fare.

- If I go to Florida and just stay there for a holiday I will have full medical coverage.

- If I go on the cruise, once on the cruise all insurance will be gone, not only for coronavirus but for anything. This as a result of the advisory before we left for out trip.

So as much as we wanted to go,  we are going to take the full refund and go when everything blows over. For people that still go I wish you a great trip.

7 minutes ago, charmed101 said:

I spoke with a rep from Manulife insurance today (Canada) about my coverage for a mid April cruise, I wanted to be clear exactly where I stood about coverage.  I have medical and trip cancellation insurance.  

-  If I cancel the cruise before the travel day,  I will get a full refund for cruise and air fare.

- If I go to Florida and just stay there for a holiday I will have full medical coverage.

- If I go on the cruise, once on the cruise all insurance will be gone, not only for coronavirus but for anything. This as a result of the advisory before we left for out trip.

So as much as we wanted to go,  we are going to take the full refund and go when everything blows over. For people that still go I wish you a great trip.

As another Canadian, I’m sorry this has happened but makes perfect sense to cancel.  We have a couple more months to see how it all

goes before having to decide.  If our insurance won’t cover us for medical there’s no way we will go.   I told my husband this is all my fault (joking) because I finally said I’d go to Europe and we booked two HAL cruises for there.  Sigh.  

1 hour ago, charmed101 said:

The Manulife policy also states country, region or city so I am not sure how they could not pay out. Seems pretty obvious that the legalese doesn't mention mode of transportation. I've got the fine print in front of me.

15 minutes ago, SusieV said:

Seems like such a huge overreaction. Not only are kids not getting sick but what about healthcare workers with children? What are they supposed to do for childcare?

So, if the classes were held and even if only one of the kids got sick possibly infecting the rest...what would everyone do for quarantine childcare?

1 minute ago, mayleeman said:

So, if the classes were held and even if only one of the kids got sick possibly infecting the rest...what would everyone do for quarantine childcare?

Kids aren't the ones really getting sick. Zero children under 9 have died. 

Closing schools is just going to stretch our healthcare system even thinner.

6 minutes ago, SusieV said:

Kids aren't the ones really getting sick. Zero children under 9 have died. 

Closing schools is just going to stretch our healthcare system even thinner.

This is not about the kids getting sick really, it’s about slowing the curve of the spread. Sure, kids seem to have mild symptoms but they are still carriers who go on to infect the more vulnerable. 

Edited by chrispee
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, barb-ottawa said:

Thanks for posting Barb.   We are insured with them too and it's very good to know this information.