Attention all Canadians.....Ottawa is advising against ALL cruising!

kazu

For all Canadians:

Canada’s top doctor (Dr. Tam)  has now advised against ALL cruising!!!

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/newsalert-canadas-top-doctor-warns-against-travelling-on-cruise-ships-over-covid-19-concerns

At today’s news conference, it was inferred that if you chose to go you had better make sure you have very good travel insurance (aka don’t count on the Government).  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

For all Canadians:

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/newsalert-canadas-top-doctor-warns-against-travelling-on-cruise-ships-over-covid-19-concerns

At today’s news conference, it was inferred that if you chose to go you had better make sure you have very good travel insurance (aka don’t count count on the Government).  

Concerning for sure!

As I said in our roll call, I'm not willing to cancel yet (end of the month for the FCC thing and we bought the CFAR from HAL).  I'll make a determination close to that point as a lot can change in that time frame.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, kazu said:

For all Canadians:

At today’s news conference, it was inferred that if you chose to go you had better make sure you have very good travel insurance (aka don’t count on the Government).  

Thank you so very much for this information, just on time as we were looking at booking another cruise to meet up with friends.  We already have 2 booked for Sept and Oct. so let’s hope that all this will be behind us by then. Decisions, decisions......

9 minutes ago, kazu said:
Just now, xjust4fun said:

Thank you so very much for this information, just on time as we were looking at booking another cruise to meet up with friends.  We already have 2 booked for Sept and Oct. so let’s hope that all this will be behind us by then. Decisions, decisions...…

Over the weekend, I decided to go on my Apr 3 cruise from San Diego to the Mexican Riviera on the Maasdam.  Now I'm not so sure.😒 I will have to check with my employer to see if I can come back to work right after the cruise or stay home for 2  weeks.  Personally, I believe the cruise industry is taking a bad rap and the media has totally gone mad over this virus.  In the last month, there were probably a hundred cruises where there were no incidents of Corona.  I am probably much more likely to get the virus on my crowded bus and commuter train, which are always standing-room only.  I will wait until the 72-hour cancellation deadline to cancel the cruise.  I don't mind the FCC; it will be like having money in the bank for a future cruise.

• Like 7

I know a few days ago our Health Minister in British Columbia recommended to stay away from cruising.   Wondering what will happen to our cruise port in Vancouver as the Alaska season is supposed to start soon.  

• Our final payment date is in three weeks, right now we're still waiting before we make a decision. Is this the same as a travel advisory by the government? Does this mean our insurance will cover us? 

Watching our B.C. Health officer right now.  She indicated that discussions are currently underway at the federal level re changes to the Alaska cruise season, with a decision likely to be made next week or sooner.  

40 minutes ago, ski ww said:
  • Our final payment date is in three weeks, right now we're still waiting before we make a decision. Is this the same as a travel advisory by the government? Does this mean our insurance will cover us? 

It’s not on the travel advisory site yet Allan, but I’m not sure where they would put cruises???

I plan to call my insurance company if there is nothing later to see what they say.

I do know if they say don’t go and you do, a lot of insurances won’t cover.  What a mess 😞 

31 minutes ago, ehogan said:

Watching our B.C. Health officer right now.  She indicated that discussions are currently underway at the federal level re changes to the Alaska cruise season, with a decision likely to be made next week or sooner.  

WOW !  That’s going to have a big impact on a lot of people in Vancouver.

• Like 1

Last week,  The director of WHO recommended that over 60 avoid large groups , so this just follows.    All the isolation and evacuations cost a lot of money, that I guess the government has been covering?  First Wuhan, then the Diamond and the Grand.    

I truly hope it disappears like SARS and Mers seemed to, or we find a treatment and vaccine.  And maybe people who do have flu will cancel their trips or self isolate and the ships will become healthier.  

Just now, bennybear said:

And maybe people who do have flu will cancel their trips or self isolate and the ships will become healthier.  

I agree with this but sadly from what is known so far, many can be asymptomatic and still be carriers.  

• Like 1

I was driving home and heard Minister Champagne on the radio asking Canadians not to go on cruises.He said that the govt is bringing the passengers ( 237)  on the Grand Princess  back to Canada.

The latest

A BC person who died of COVID-19 was a resident of Lynn Valley Care Centre in North Vancouver. 5 new coronavirus cases in B.C. bring the national total to 77. Includes 34 in Ontario, 32 in B.C., 7 in Alberta, 4 in Quebec.

1 hour ago, ski ww said:

It is now an official alert!!!!

482E171A-6EC1-47E1-A70C-B918184C99F4.thumb.png.d9d6dac4176501866ee9a82e1aed995b.png

23 minutes ago, ninefishes said:

Does this mean if we need to visit doctor/hospital due to coronavirus while traveling, we won't be allowed to claim from medical care?

That's a good question.  I'm suppose to sail to Alaska out of Vancouver on May 4th.  I'm not ready to cancel yet.  

16 minutes ago, Sue from Canada said:

That's a good question.  I'm suppose to sail to Alaska out of Vancouver on May 4th.  I'm not ready to cancel yet.  

Most travel insurances state specifically that if there is a warning and you ignore it then they will not take care of you.  You will not be covered.  Best to check your coverage carefully.  Most of them have that in the terminology.

I’ve spent a lot of time reading mine today 😞 

I basically get it only in case something untoward happens.  We always plan to go and the only thing that would stop us is some illness or some unfortunate illness at home.

Who knew this was going to happen?

We always buy a yearly medical travel plan and I don’t think we would be covered if traveling and got Coronavirus even though we purchased it last October.  I haven’t confirmed with Blue across yet as our cruise isn’t until the Fall.  Rest of our travels are in Canada.  

Our cruise is March 29th. As long as Westjet will take me to / from Fort Lau, we are going on the cruise.

If flights get cancelled - game changer.

Edited by jlocole
spelling
  • Like 2