Lets lighten the mood. Your favourite ship?

On 3/14/2020 at 2:14 PM, Kate P.C said:

It has to be the Caribbean Princess.

After  dry dock last year, it's just our place to be.

Certainly the nicest ship I've been on

with her beautifully appointed public spaces.

It was a quick 3- or 4-day charter, out of Barbados.

Early December 2009

Lovely ship: hope misfortune never happens to her.

CaribbeanPrincess-583.jpg

CaribPrin-080.jpg

CaribPrin-081.jpg

CPinterior-078.jpg

ExplorersLounge-131.JPG

Lido-073.jpg

Our last cruise was on the Niew Statendam and I was surprised at how much I loved that ship. Perfect combination of modern and traditional. Tasteful, upscale, and perfectly sized.

We have been on more than 60 different ships and our favorite, without a doubt, was the Prinsendam.   She was an old vessel, had plenty of rust, showed her wear just about anyplace you looked, had very few amenities compared to most newer ships.  And yet, she had plenty of fans......most of whom counted their days on that ship in the hundreds!  We were relative novices only having spent exactly 200 days on the Prinsendam.  She also had a Captain who spent his entire Captain's career on that one vessel when she was originally the Royal Viking Sun, then Seabourn Sun, and finally Prinsendam.  Captain Gundersen told us he did not want to command any other cruise ship and he did retire before they retired the ship.

Hank

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We have been on more than 60 different ships and our favorite, without a doubt, was the Prinsendam.   She was an old vessel, had plenty of rust, showed her wear just about anyplace you looked, had very few amenities compared to most newer ships.  And yet, she had plenty of fans......most of whom counted their days on that ship in the hundreds!  We were relative novices only having spent exactly 200 days on the Prinsendam.  She also had a Captain who spent his entire Captain's career on that one vessel when she was originally the Royal Viking Sun, then Seabourn Sun, and finally Prinsendam.  Captain Gundersen told us he did not want to command any other cruise ship and he did retire before they retired the ship.

Hank

Yes - Prinsendam, especially before HAL started cutting food quality and service generally, was our favorite - an excellent way to come back from Rome, which we did a couple of times.  One additional plus was the mix of passengers she attracted.

Favorite was NCL Star.  or Saphire Princess.  I don't really remember the ships but I know I loved being on them.  Maybe it was just the family I was with.  But if I had to pick some to go on again (I don't like to repeat)  It would be those two.

On 3/28/2020 at 12:12 PM, Aplmac said:

We did a short 3- or 4-day charter on her, back in early Dec. 2009

Gorgeous ship inside! but not the friendliest crew (back then)

CaribbeanPrincess-583.jpg

Carib.PrincessDR-007.jpg

CaribPrin-081.jpg

Disembarkation-145.jpg

CPrincess-606.jpg

CPrincess-804.jpg

Beautiful Caribbean Princess! I miss cruising!

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 10:09 AM, cruiseaholic777 said:

Caribbean Princess is also my favorite. We have had 5 family cruises on this ship.

In general, Princess isn't my favorite line and their ships are not my favorite.  However, of the Princess ships I've sailed, Caribbean is easily my favorite.  Even the Ruby, which is almost identical, just didn't feel the same, and I like Caribbean far better than Princess' new Royal Class. 

While we won't sail with Princess again, our favourite 4 ships were

• Island/Coral
  • Diamond/Sapphire - which are original Grand Class ships with a superior build quality, as they were built in Japan. Don't appreciate the Super Grands starting with Caribbean, as they added another full deck of cabins to the same hull. Too crowded for us.

Now we prefer smaller ships < 1,000 pax

• Like 1

For me, it's the Nieuw Amsterdam. Love how she included a mini-museum exhibit on Deck 1 with nods to the classic Nieuw Amsterdam of 1938. (I specifically love the promenade deck, and it's my favorite spot to be on a ship, whether sitting in a deck chair or playing shuffleboard, and I'm considered "young" by HAL/Cunard standards). That ship definitely has a character. 

I do have a soft spot for the RMS Queen Mary, even with being a hotel ship and half-gutted, there's still something special when I walk down the halls (especially in the first class cabins section to see the sheer effect in play). There's also the enclosed Promenade deck too...