Prices JUST shot up!

LadyBerard

Yeah, the price on our sailing (4/8, Pearl) went way up too. But the odd thing is the “old” lower prices are still showing up on the search page, but when you actually get to the booking page, they are drastically higher (roughly twice what they were previously). Something seems weird. 

The price on the booking I have in April 2021 is the same as it was yesterday. 

Edited by kaprin02
  • Like 1

Just now, erdoran said:

So you are in great shape for a last minute sailing, right?

Kind of. If I cancel, I think I want to do it as close as possible to my current sailing date.

Then, it will depend just how long it takes for Coronavirus to blow over and then I have to hope NCL doesn't artificially inflate rates for a year so those with the FCCs aren't forced into booking at higher prices.

I'm still waiting to hear from NCL if they will allow me to decline their Peace of Mind offer. They can keep my cruise far, refund my port charges and beverages charges, and then I file a claim under my CFAR policy that I paid extra for when their old policy was in effect. I don't need their Peace of Mind policy. I bought my own at the time I booked my cruise.

1 minute ago, kaprin02 said:

Yeah, the price on our sailing (4/8, Pearl) went way up too. But the odd thing is the “old” lower prices are still showing up on the search page, but when you actually get to the booking page, they are drastically higher (roughly twice what they were previously). Something seems weird. 

It's would be interesting to check 2 days before sailing to see if the prices are at high.  Then ask someone on roll call to verify if the ship is at capacity once it sails.  If it is not, then I don't think ncls pricing algorithm can handle the changes that are occurring because of this virus.  That would be the only explanation.

3 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

It's would be interesting to check 2 days before sailing to see if the prices are at high.  Then ask someone on roll call to verify if the ship is at capacity once it sails.  If it is not, then I don't think ncls pricing algorithm can handle the changes that are occurring because of this virus.  That would be the only explanation.

Well, I track prices daily, so I will know what the "final" price was going into my sailing this weekend. And I will try to check back on CC and let you all know how full the ship appears to be.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roger88 said:

Its inflation my friend. Also dont forget about price on Oil which shift like everyday. The strategy here is simple. The “alliance” of companies agreed on a certain Oil price, say 50$ and no matter wether the price goes up or down they will continue to make as much as they planned to earn before. Moreover, they raise prices just to make additional profit. If you could only imagine their annual turnover. Ohh boy. Especially for those traveling outside the US and Europe. These guys are overpaying 10x and feel just fine

oil down 30% today!

1 hour ago, LadyBerard said:

This is the exact reason why I posted it, so if people had current holds on their cruises, they would deposit to lock in the price.

thank you so much, all booked up. the sun april 20th. $169 PP   i was debating it because of this whole virus thing, but as we know ships are very diligent about keeping things clean, its the public that never cruised before that is scared off. 

The 8/1 Joy trip was just $4365 for a balcony the day free air started last, earlier today it was $4600 and now it is $5237. Sail Away hasn't moved much. Maybe this is a way to push more people into Sail Away. They have to be looking at every way to make money. 

The way the stock market is going I doubt the higher prices will hold long term. They are getting a lot of fcc bookings right now but generally I think people are too cautious to plan very far in advance .As one with no money in the sock market the current losses mean nothing to me but  many cruisers of and near to retirement age do, and I would think that would make many people not be able to or afford to book expensive cruises, atm, and goodness knows for how long?

26 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

but as we know ships are very diligent about keeping things clean, its the public that never cruised before that is scared off. 

I beg to differ on this ... been on 10 cruises and I am not 'scared off' but I am cancelling my cruise so it's not just 'public that never cruise before that is scared off'.  I also doubt I am the only one that has sailed a few times but choosing to cancel (or postpone). 

The reason for cancelling is varied and not simply due to the cleanliness (or not) of the ship, I have considered all things in the mix that have actually been happening.  I consider ships clean and I personally have NEVER gotten sick on or shortly after a cruise so I am not cancelling due to my own health or belief that I will get sick.  I think if I didn't have to fly on many planes to and from the port AND across border, I might have made a different decision on this.

I do hope you have a wonderful cruise.  Have a drink or two for me 🙂

41 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

thank you so much, all booked up. the sun april 20th. $169 PP   i was debating it because of this whole virus thing, but as we know ships are very diligent about keeping things clean, its the public that never cruised before that is scared off. 

I'm happy for you!  :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KSSS2013 said:

Could be demand, might be preparation for a new "sale", or it could be a random algorithm based on you visiting the site more than once. My May cruise has not changed price in over a week.

Or they could be trying to generate revenue to cover the lost onboard spending for those that will be cancelling their cruises.

I called NCL to confirm the higher prices were correct for my cruise. They confirmed and also told me they were ordered not to give any upgrades after a price drop, only OBC.

That makes sense if you want new bargain hunters to book for the people who will be cancelling instead of just letting your current pax get a free upgrade.

I feel jerked around right now.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, poffles said:

I beg to differ on this ... been on 10 cruises and I am not 'scared off' but I am cancelling my cruise so it's not just 'public that never cruise before that is scared off'.  I also doubt I am the only one that has sailed a few times but choosing to cancel (or postpone). 

The reason for cancelling is varied and not simply due to the cleanliness (or not) of the ship, I have considered all things in the mix that have actually been happening.  I consider ships clean and I personally have NEVER gotten sick on or shortly after a cruise so I am not cancelling due to my own health or belief that I will get sick.  I think if I didn't have to fly on many planes to and from the port AND across border, I might have made a different decision on this.

I do hope you have a wonderful cruise.  Have a drink or two for me 🙂

I agree with you. I have 15 cruises under my belt and we were due to cruise on RCI's Anthem this coming Sunday but have elected to cancel at this point rather than undertake the possibility of getting quarantined either on the ship (we are in two connecting inside cabins with our four kids) or at the border. 

Canada's Chief Public Health Officer today recommended in a press conference that "Canadians avoid all cruise ship travel due to COVD-19." Pretty hard to just continue on with our plans and have a relaxing vacation with this in the back of our minds. 

I don't feel that this situation reflects on the cruise lines. I have full faith that they are doing everything they can to keep the ship clean and sanitary. It's just a very fluid and dynamic situation that is beyond their control. I plan to use the FCC from this cancellation to book something next year and continue to eyeball an NCL cruise this coming December.

This in no way will stop my family or I from cruising in the future, it's just a poor time to travel right now. Since the lines have offered us an out, we are taking it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dvond said:

My cruise on April 5th went up over $900 since this morning,  something fishy is going on

Yeah, sorry but nobody is clamoring to book a cruise right now to the point it is driving up cruise rates.  
It reminds me of people saying "oh well that widget is on eBay for $10,000".  
Just like on eBay you can list anything at whatever price you want but that doesn't make it the "selling" price.
I have no idea what is going on with the current pricing but people aren't buying. 

I am sure the cruise lines are loathe to start making wholesale cuts and this is just part of the smoke and mirror games they play.   Market forces will eventually take over and dictate the actual selling price of cruises.  

Edited by dasmonkey

39 minutes ago, dasmonkey said:

Yeah, sorry but nobody is clamoring to book a cruise right now to the point it is driving up cruise rates.  
It reminds me of people saying "oh well that widget is on eBay for $10,000".  
Just like on eBay you can list anything at whatever price you want but that doesn't make it the "selling" price.
I have no idea what is going on with the current pricing but people aren't buying. 

I am sure the cruise lines are loathe to start making wholesale cuts and this is just part of the smoke and mirror games they play.   Market forces will eventually take over and dictate the actual selling price of cruises.  

but could it be the low low prices got many like me to be interested in booking and thus skyrocketing the prices today. 

4 hours ago, blcruising said:

Therein lies the inherent risk of the Peace of Mind policy. Once you get your future cruise credit, you got 1 year to book a cruise at whatever pricing level NCL decides to set its rates.

We are booked on the May 28 cruise out of Rome.  I know for certain that if we cancel, which we won't just yet, we won't be able to rebook the same cruise for next year as the price has gone up exponentially .  Pricing of Caribbean cruises have almost doubled since I checked yesterday.  

13 minutes ago, jancl57 said:

We are booked on the May 28 cruise out of Rome.  I know for certain that if we cancel, which we won't just yet, we won't be able to rebook the same cruise for next year as the price has gone up exponentially .  Pricing of Caribbean cruises have almost doubled since I checked yesterday.  

I’d hang tough, with the news out of Italy that the whole country is quarantined, chances are the cruise will either be cancelled or moved; in either case, you may have a higher likelihood of getting a cash refund option or at least increased FCC over your fare, since YOU aren’t cancelling (yet).  Others can weigh in on what’s typically been offered in situations like this.

we have only cruised with NCL but now due to the pricing game they have been playing since thanksgiving, the itinerary game they have been playing(announcing the changes right after final payment), the coronavirus lack of response and now this we will look at other cruise line when we eventually decide to cruise again. I just don't feel the love like I used to. we will start building loyalty status with another line.

• Like 1

I was surprised about the last minute cruises going up (I'm sailing Encore on the 29th)  - They should have just specified in the terms that you can't cancel and rebook the SAME cruise. Not really sure how they will get any new bookings for the 29th sailing of the encore with the pricing that it's at now, and there is no way it's at capacity. 

• Like 1

I just went in to book Encore for May, and the rates still show in tbe page that shows ‘From xxx’ (ex 797 for Balcony all four weeks) and then you bring up the fares screen and they are more than double!!

I1 is 1597!!!! 

Balcony Guarantee 1700$!!

Balcony F was 797 earlier and is now $1700$+!!!

I called them and asked if there was an issue with the data loaded in the site and I was told despite the page showing the older and cheaper ‘from’ prices that these are now the rates and they are not an error. 

Can you imagine paying 5000$+ for two in an inside I1 for two to Bermuda???? 

My MA is on hold and Im paying tomorrow, its still the okd rate, 3500 total for two, 1500 less than the I1!!! lol. 

I think its an error or a temp thing, or....

Yeah its the new rates for reinvesting your credit, which explains why they were so eager to give out credit!! haha

Edited by BoundForSea
  • Like 1