Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
jknc

Refund instead of FCC

Recommended Posts

DH and I are booked on Liberty on April 26th.  We had fully intended to take this cruise (we're past final and into 75% penalty territory, had reserved dining and shore excursions).  But DH will be 79 just after the cruise and has three significant underlying medical conditions.  We just can't take the cruise, so we called our TA today to start the cancellation process.  We started talking about cancelling late last week, and expected to lose most of our money.  So we're beyond excited at the RCCL offer of a cruise credit.  We hope that circumstances will permit us to use the FCC, but just the possibility of salvaging our investment makes us extremely grateful.  Bottom line is - THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO DO IT!

 

Pat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, joephilly said:

I believe the notion of extension of a policy that is inherently designed to make you second guess  canceling is bad practice. Sure on the surface you extend the policy to 48hrs, but this has so many different variables. For example, I have a cruise that I booked almost a year ago this up coming weekend.  I can now get a future cruise credit or a no fee change to rebook in the future.  However, most of the cruises are significantly more currently then what I payed for my cruise.  This discourages me from canceling as I would have to pay a couple houndred dollars extra to reedem my future cruise credit. Which to some of you doesn't seem to be a problem, but for someone who saved up to go on this cruise(my first) it will be the difference between being able to go or not.  There is also the issue that the base fare for pp1 and pp2 will be different and thus making it even harder to find a cruise that fits. I believe that if Royal really wanted to qualm fears and give consumers an option they would offer a full refund, but that is not their purpose they are more worried about their bottom line. 

I totally agree with you.  I booked my April 2020 cruise in Oct 2018 at a really good price.  Even compared to what the cruise is going for now, what I paid is cheaper.  The 2021 cruises for our spring break time don't have the 2 stops at Cococay and are more expensive.  Plus the cabin that I have (#1864 large panoramic oceanview) isn't available.  One of the people in my traveling party just called to say her employer would require a 14 day self quarantine if she goes on a cruise so it looks like we may end up having to cancel.  Extending the FCC to end of 2022 would be nice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2020 at 4:40 PM, Btank said:

 

Kind of why I'm waiting until the last possible minute for my 29th March cruise on Liberty.  For me, there's a finite number of solution sets:

  • Situation improves and cruise goes as scheduled: 👍 (already upgraded cabins!)
  • Situation doesn't improve but RCI precautions / screenings demonstrated to be effective: 👍 (thinking this is the most likely scenario)
  • Situation doesn't improve and cruise is cancelled: 👎 (gimme back my money)
  • Situation doesn't improve and ports are affected: 👎 (not into being redirected to Key West and CoCo Cay)
  • Situation doesn't improve and warnings are upgraded: 👎 (gimme that future cruise credit)
  • Situation doesn't improve and RCI precautions / screening prove ineffective: 👎 (ditto)
  • Situation degrades in general: 👎 (ditto)
  • Illness: 👎 (maybe a refund if we fail RCI screening?)

 

     --bruce T. (I need this cruise)

This!👍🏽

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2020 at 4:40 PM, Btank said:

 

Kind of why I'm waiting until the last possible minute for my 29th March cruise on Liberty.  For me, there's a finite number of solution sets:

  • Situation improves and cruise goes as scheduled: 👍 (already upgraded cabins!)
  • Situation doesn't improve but RCI precautions / screenings demonstrated to be effective: 👍 (thinking this is the most likely scenario)
  • Situation doesn't improve and cruise is cancelled: 👎 (gimme back my money)
  • Situation doesn't improve and ports are affected: 👎 (not into being redirected to Key West and CoCo Cay)
  • Situation doesn't improve and warnings are upgraded: 👎 (gimme that future cruise credit)
  • Situation doesn't improve and RCI precautions / screening prove ineffective: 👎 (ditto)
  • Situation degrades in general: 👎 (ditto)
  • Illness: 👎 (maybe a refund if we fail RCI screening?)

 

     --bruce T. (I need this cruise)

Royal is denying boarding us as grandson just got back from Singapore so I really thought it should be refund not future cruise credit but I was advised not so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...