Alaska Season in Jeopardy

67Miner

It's true.  I listened to the press conference today.  I'm a Vancouver, BC resident and have a cruise booked to the Caribbean in April.  I know that there is a lot of uncertainty out there but the fear factor being created and to consider closing down the cruise industry in Vancouver this year has created a lot of angst and many people do not support it.  The federal government is telling ALL Canadians to not cruise, which is ridiculous.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Kathy53 said:

It's true.  I listened to the press conference today.  I'm a Vancouver, BC resident and have a cruise booked to the Caribbean in April.  I know that there is a lot of uncertainty out there but the fear factor being created and to consider closing down the cruise industry in Vancouver this year has created a lot of angst and many people do not support it.  The federal government is telling ALL Canadians to not cruise, which is ridiculous.

Agreed. Yes, we have to exercise caution and be vigilant but are they setting out to bring the cruising industry to its knees?  Possibly bankrupt it? Where is common sense these days?

• Like 1

We are hoping that we'll be able to take our Alaska cruise at the end of August.

We booked this cruise to celebrate my retirement this summer after 35 years working for the Florida Department of Health....kinda ironic, huh?

Edited by eyecantwait
  • Like 1

On 3/9/2020 at 6:02 PM, Caribbean Chris said:

The Lt. Governor of Hawaii also has called on the US Government to bar all Cruise ships from stopping in the islands.

OH NO!!!  That's REALLY bad news for us, if that happens......

We just cancelled our Alaska cruise from Vancouver.  It was for my mom's 70th birthday.   If it was just us, we may still go, but not with my mom.   We were really looking forward to see Vancouver too not just Alaska.  We will go next year.

41 minutes ago, lexmiller said:

OH NO!!!  That's REALLY bad news for us, if that happens......

Stay tuned. Apparently the Coast Guard has jurisdiction over ships entering U.S. ports, and works together with the CDC and Customs & Border Protection Depts.  So far, there has been no response apparently to the Lt. Gov of Hawaii's request.

If you have a Alaska cruise out of Seattle in April and May it may not happen, the Washington Governor Just banned any group of people over 250 getting together so the Mariner's opener won't be in Seattle or any other events at least through March but probably much longer. This even includes weddings of over 250 people. The cruise season out of Seattle could be a disaster.

13 minutes ago, Taylor D said:

If you have a Alaska cruise out of Seattle in April and May it may not happen, the Washington Governor Just banned any group of people over 250 getting together so the Mariner's opener won't be in Seattle or any other events at least through March but probably much longer. This even includes weddings of over 250 people. The cruise season out of Seattle could be a disaster.

Celebrity and RCCL just cancelled their first cruises. The Diamond Princess not a surprise. Port of Seattle made the request to cancel due to Seattle dealing with COVID outbreak.

51 minutes ago, Taylor D said:

What about leaving Vancouver and returning to Seattle?

1 hour ago, stah1mr said:

What about leaving Vancouver and returning to Seattle?

How would that help?  If COVID is not sorted in Seattle the Port of Seattle will close the pier facilities. Extending the closure as they see fit.

BC is discussing doing the same thing with Victoria and Vancouver.

Things not looking good but no predictions from me. Still have one April cruise. Just not sure where it will go and if it will stop along the way.