IF i wore a mask onboard.....

seaman11

1 hour ago, 2+2 said:

OK, the mask does it's job and captures/filters out the virus droplets. So now let's throw it away in our cabins trash can and let the staff deal with it.  See, without proper procedures, we are spinning circles.

To answer your question. I hope passengers are not wearing mask. I would prefer that they stay home.

How is it different than a trash basket full of tissue used to blow your nose?  Or changing your sheets?  Sanitary products?  Glasses you drink from?  All of them have lots and lots of germs on them. 

Edited by Level six
  • Like 1

On 3/9/2020 at 8:00 PM, seaman11 said:

well i plan to go to the common areas in my gloves and mask.  but dinner i can order room service and absolutely no elevators confined with the general population of the ship. 

Yeah and I can see definitely how gloves would really help (dont know why more medical professionals are not talking about gloves) I went to the grocery store today, put gloves on when I went inside, (helps with germs plus it automatically reminds me not to touch my face) when I got outside disposed of them in the trash.  I would do the same on the ship, when leaving the room put gloves on, take them off and dispose right before you enter your room.  Mask?  Yeah certain ones (grade 95?) are supposed to help that is why medical professionals wear them.  Let people laugh all they want.

Edited by Newleno
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Newleno said:

it is all about learning so that you are protected, dude someone coughs, sneezes in an elevator, well guess what you are exposed,  thats the fact jack!

If you are near someone who coughs or sneezes, immediately hold your breath, and walk away. Upwind if possible, but just get as much distance as you can as soon as you can. If you are able, stick your nose down your shirt, hold the collar closed, and breathe as shallowly as you can until you can get away. We do it at work if we get caught out without a mask for some reason. On an elevator, hit the next button, and get the hell off. Don't get back on that elevator for a while. Don't care that you look stupid. There are no points for being the kool kid in the body bag.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, elwood_98034 said:

Dude, you are wrong on so many points. I AM a medical professional. 35 years on the job. I work in a big ER in Seattle. I am trying to give you a hint without getting banned. We are 100% gloves and masks for our entire shifts.

With respect, you gave it away when you said you couldn't tell the difference between allergies and a cold. Also, saying that if you aren't sick you aren't spreading it. There have been reported cases where people have been shedding virus but were asymptomatic. You think we all walk around at work wearing masks because it looks cool? Sorry, you're uneducated.

Dude - you are totally missing my point.  You are in a very high risk environment.  And I bet you change your mask and gloves constantly - if you don't, then you are risking contaminating your whole hospital.  I said wearing masks may or may not be effective and  they give a false sense of security.  I wear masks all the time (not for medical purposes at this time) and the tendency to touch my face is way up when I do.

Sure a person could be asymptomatic  - and they are touching everything just as much as the next guy.

Not that it is any of your business but as to not knowing the difference between a cold and an allergy - until I was diagnosed I assumed they were colds because I'd never had allergies before. Now I know they aren't colds but a reaction to those individuals who chose to bathe in perfume without regard to the rest of the world.

10 minutes ago, elwood_98034 said:

If you are near someone who coughs or sneezes, immediately hold your breath, and walk away. Upwind if possible, but just get as much distance as you can as soon as you can. If you are able, stick your nose down your shirt, hold the collar closed, and breathe as shallowly as you can until you can get away. We do it at work if we get caught out without a mask for some reason. On an elevator, hit the next button, and get the hell off. Don't get back on that elevator for a while. Don't care that you look stupid. There are no points for being the kool kid in the body bag.

Don't forget to close your eyes.  Here is a link to something written years ago by an epidemiologist that dispels as myths much of what you are saying. https://www.citylab.com/life/2015/03/pretty-much-all-of-your-weird-germ-avoidance-behaviors-are-pointless/386015/

1 minute ago, julig22 said:

Don't forget to close your eyes.  Here is a link to something written years ago by an epidemiologist that dispels as myths much of what you are saying. https://www.citylab.com/life/2015/03/pretty-much-all-of-your-weird-germ-avoidance-behaviors-are-pointless/386015/

no problem , wear swimming googles when out of the room . 

9 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Dude - you are totally missing my point.  You are in a very high risk environment.  And I bet you change your mask and gloves constantly - if you don't, then you are risking contaminating your whole hospital.  I said wearing masks may or may not be effective and  they give a false sense of security.  I wear masks all the time (not for medical purposes at this time) and the tendency to touch my face is way up when I do.

Sure a person could be asymptomatic  - and they are touching everything just as much as the next guy.

Not that it is any of your business but as to not knowing the difference between a cold and an allergy - until I was diagnosed I assumed they were colds because I'd never had allergies before. Now I know they aren't colds but a reaction to those individuals who chose to bathe in perfume without regard to the rest of the world.

'Allergy' to perfume is usually actually a multiple chemical sensitivity/intolerance. It isn't actually an allergy as such. They way to check if you are having symptoms of an 'allergic' reaction is to take a normal dose of Diphenhydramine, and see if the symptoms resolve. If they do it was probably an allergy, but without specific allergy testing it can be hard to tell.

3 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

no problem , wear swimming googles when out of the room . 

When talking to one of my doctors the other day about the whole surgical mask discussion, I suggested we all get those full-face masks they have for snorkeling - but that you'd have to put something over the snorkel to filter the air as well.

When talking to one of my doctors the other day about the whole surgical mask discussion, I suggested we all get those full-face masks they have for snorkeling - but that you'd have to put something over the snorkel to filter the air as well.

imagine walking into specialty dinning looking like a frogman. 

• Like 1

We have something just like it at work. It is called a PAPR. Workers with facial hair use them as an alternative to N95's, as the hair prevents getting a proper seal. There is another version called a CAPR, but I have never used one.

4 minutes ago, julig22 said:

When I went to my doctor on Monday he was wearing a mask. Was that because he was sick? No, he was worried he was going to catch something off me. But, masks don't work, right? So, why would he wear one?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, elwood_98034 said:

'Allergy' to perfume is usually actually a multiple chemical sensitivity/intolerance. It isn't actually an allergy as such. They way to check if you are having symptoms of an 'allergic' reaction is to take a normal dose of Diphenhydramine, and see if the symptoms resolve. If they do it was probably an allergy, but without specific allergy testing it can be hard to tell.

Are you for real - duh.  Excuse me for using the term allergy instead of intolerance for expediency and a little privacy. I am fully aware of the issues I have.

Are you for real - duh.  Excuse me for using the term allergy instead of intolerance for expediency and a little privacy. I am fully aware of the issues I have.

If you are going to have a technical argument, you need to be precise. Otherwise you weaken your argument and look foolish.

Tell me, why do Pathologists wear masks when they do autopsies? Because they are scared of making the patient sick?

6 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Anyway, I just had a shipment of safely goggles come in, and I need to see which ones fit before I go to work. Nice chatting to you. Sorry if I was mean. Stay safe.

1 hour ago, elwood_98034 said:

oh good lord. If you are really concerned this disease might put you in a body bag I’m not sure why you would even step outside your house. Nothing is 100%. I don’t know, maybe I have a different perspective because I have a job where I know walking in each day I may die. But a cold virus doesn’t concern me enough to change my behavior.

Edited by sanger727

1 minute ago, sanger727 said:

oh good lord. If you are really concerned this disease might put you in a body bag I’m not sure why you would even step outside your house. Nothing is 100%. I don’t know, maybe I have a different perspective because I have a job where I know walking in each day I may die. But a cold virus doesn’t concern me enough to change my behavior.

I work in a job where I could die any day as well. I work in an ER in Seattle. I'm actually heading there right now. Good luck. Stay away from door knobs.

19 minutes ago, elwood_98034 said:

I work in a job where I could die any day as well. I work in an ER in Seattle. I'm actually heading there right now. Good luck. Stay away from door knobs.

yeah. That’s not quite the same as my job but that’s ok. If you are really planning on holding your breath in an elevator so you don’t die in an elevator I still think u are lacking perspective.

3 hours ago, elwood_98034 said:

When I went to my doctor on Monday he was wearing a mask. Was that because he was sick? No, he was worried he was going to catch something off me. But, masks don't work, right? So, why would he wear one?

you didnt hear?  it works for heath care professionals but no one else can benefit from it. 😷

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Newleno said:

Yeah and I can see definitely how gloves would really help (dont know why more medical professionals are not talking about gloves) I went to the grocery store today, put gloves on when I went inside, (helps with germs plus it automatically reminds me not to touch my face) when I got outside disposed of them in the trash.  I would do the same on the ship, when leaving the room put gloves on, take them off and dispose right before you enter your room.  Mask?  Yeah certain ones (grade 95?) are supposed to help that is why medical professionals wear them.  Let people laugh all they want.

Please stay home.