Cruising or Cancelling?

NMTraveller

Cruising, Cancelling, or Undecided  

365 members have voted

1. 1. For those of you that are heathy, are you cruising, cancelling, or undecided?

• Cruising
    • Cancelling
    • Undecided
    • Cruising some and cancelling some

3 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Despite everything, I just can't bring myself to cancel our April 11 cruise.  Embarkation day is a month away and a lot can happen between now and then.  I'm thinking Celebrity will have to cancel us before we would cancel them.  Why sympathizing with those who are sick and even those who have succumbed to the virus, I still believe this has been over hyped causing panic and fear.  High risk groups aside, I wonder each day why there has never been such an outcry against cruising during flu season or for the contraction of Noro virus, both of which are easily picked up on a cruise ship, air plane, train, market, stadium, etc.  Not even  a peep relating to travel advisories for those illnesses.

Currently in my city, our news agencies are reporting when individuals are diagnosed with the virus...."married man in Fulton county diagnosed with the virus..."  "Lawyer in Conyers suspected to have Corona virus..."  Causing what?  Fear.  My DD lives in Fulton county along with hundreds of thousands of other people.  Should I advise her not to leave her home?  It's just too much and the catastrophic damage the fear mongering is doing has far reaching consequences beyond the virus itself.  All in my opinion, of course.

But what if the stats are being under reported?  Young people will probably not go for testing- and seniors will only if they are very sick.  This illness is much more serious then the flu- If you are under 50 and in excellent health- probably not a big risk- if you get sick- will not be more then the flu.  If however, you have underlying health concerns, pay attention to the credible reports on the news.

In addition, remember people from all over the world will be sailing on the ships- not just your neighborhood residents. Who knows who they have been with.  Of course it is your choice.

1 minute ago, Cruise a holic said:

But what if the stats are being under reported?  Young people will probably not go for testing- and seniors will only if they are very sick.  This illness is much more serious then the flu- If you are under 50 and in excellent health- probably not a big risk- if you get sick- will not be more then the flu.  If however, you have underlying health concerns, pay attention to the credible reports on the news.

In addition, remember people from all over the world will be sailing on the ships- not just your neighborhood residents. Who knows who they have been with.  Of course it is your choice.

All good points that I respect very much.  I am not discrediting the medical knowledge behind the corona virus any more than I am for flu.  It's a personal decision for each individual and they know what's best for their circumstances which is why I would never try to sway a person either way.  I discredit the fear mongering media who have people in a panic over stepping outside their front door.

• Like 3

I am still cruising leaving out of San Juan this Saturday 03/14.  My wife and I are 30, and 33 in excellent health. I am hoping that with all the cancellations, we will be able to get some upgrade deals. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, aleboeuf said:

I am still cruising leaving out of San Juan this Saturday 03/14.  My wife and I are 30, and 33 in excellent health. I am hoping that with all the cancellations, we will be able to get some upgrade deals. 

You will!  Go on the cruise site move  up!  Glad you are young and in good health!  We are twice your age and worried!  Also we have important family occasions the week after our cruise and cannot be quarantined and miss!  Hope the parties aren't cancelled! 

Enjoy your cruise!  Be safe

PS have a long island ice tea for my DH and a French Martini for me!

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

We did cancel; if we decided to go, would we really relax and enjoy ourselves; or, would we be concerned--did that person wash their hands, is that person who is coughing have the virus, did they disinfect that railing, are those utensils really clean, etc.  We go on a cruise to relax, enjoy the ship's décor, and have a good time; with all this 'stuff', we felt we really couldn't; maybe next year.

My wife and I had this conversation last night based on state dept warnings. We are currently set to sail on Sun on the Eclipse.

We tried to weigh all of the scenarios we may encounter and if we would be ok with worst case events there...

• We arrive in Santiago, Chile and the cruise gets cancelled all together - we are ok finding lodging and turning it into a land vacation in Chile
  • We are on the cruise and no port will let us in - we are cool with a long cruise to nowhere knowing the cruise will probably end early and be refunded based on Millennium cruises earlier this year.
  • We arrive in the final port to disembark and they won't let us off the ship - this one is a biggie as the current administration said with the Grand Princess he would rather leave them on the boat the keep the numbers of cases down in America....not spreading it, just keep the numbers where they are - being a US citizen and the cruise ending in a US port we are confident we would not be held hostage too long by our own country
  • Airline travel would be taken away from us in the time we are gone - we are prepared to rent a car and drive from San Diego to Chicago.

We weighed pros and cons. We are going.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

All good points that I respect very much.  I am not discrediting the medical knowledge behind the corona virus any more than I am for flu.  It's a personal decision for each individual and they know what's best for their circumstances which is why I would never try to sway a person either way.  I discredit the fear mongering media who have people in a panic over stepping outside their front door.

Finally have to say after more than a few of these comments from one or two....it's the media's JOB to report whatever known facts are out there;  discrediting said media, when repeated often enough, makes some people complacent as in "yada yada too much info".  Listen to the scientists the media are referencing.  If people are fearful because they are hearing reports they don't want to believe and carry on as if nothing is out there to be fearful of, they may catch this 'bug' and pass it on.  We should just listen, evaluate, react to our own common sense, but don't denigrate those who DO pay attention to the advisories, read and listen to the media, and do our best to not be a part of the problem by refusing to believe the science behind the reports.  JMHO....   I expect to be flamed.

Edited by oceangoer2
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

We have no cruises booked until November, which is unusual for us.  We usually do 2 or 3 a year.  However if things have not quieted down with this virus by then we will cancel.  We are healthy, however the last thing we want is to be quarantined for 14 days because someone came down with the virus while sailing.  We never cruise Jan - March just because of the flu.  So many get on a ship with symptoms, then spread it to others.  People just don't care.   So everyone has to look at their own health & life situation and make a decision to cruise or not.  Let's all hope this calms down and doesn't get any worse than it is now.  

We love cruising, this is sad. However I think it's a wake up call for the cruise industry and our country.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

JMHO....   I expect to be flamed.

No flaming by me at all.  I don't disagree with you.  Media reporting scientific fact is great and expected.  Media encouraging people to hoard food and supplies, avoid social circumstances, etc. incites panic and this has been occurring in our area.  I'm not sure what the balance is yet, and I'm sure there is one, between irrational fear of traveling by cruise ship, and informed decision making that results in what's good for the individual. You make good points!

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, aleboeuf said:

We were hoping for this too. We are currently in an aft Sky Suite on Apex on 1st and 5th April our of Southampton.  We had bid up on a number of categories of suite - but having just had X's cancellation policy confirmed by our TA (no refund - payment just transferred to future cruise credit) we've just taken all our bids off. We don't want thousands of pounds tied up on a cruise we may not even wish to take! Celebrity have potentially cost themselves extra money with this policy.

17 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

No flaming by me at all.  I don't disagree with you.  Media reporting scientific fact is great and expected.  Media encouraging people to hoard food and supplies, avoid social circumstances, etc. incites panic and this has been occurring in our area.  I'm not sure what the balance is yet, and I'm sure there is one, between irrational fear of traveling by cruise ship, and informed decisions making that results in what's good for the individual. You make good points!

Thank you for that....I'm not exposed to the media in your area so can't comment on what you're hearing generally.  I do know that on national cable, leading WH government scientists have cautioned the 'elderly' (most of us cruisers...lol) to absolutely not go on a cruise ship and to think twice about air travel.  I think this means during the interim, but for how long??  This, to me, is a personal decision based on our own level of security, tolerance, and health.  Hoarding isn't something I've heard of via the media.  But same scientists have mentioned it's a good policy to have medicines and supplies on hand whatever the situation, and especially if this virus continues on an encompassing path through the world.  Panic is never going to solve problems, but caution and being fair and open minded to those who are in the best position to advise will help us all through decision making.

Edited by oceangoer2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

Finally have to say after more than a few of these comments from one or two....it's the media's JOB to report whatever known facts are out there;  discrediting said media, when repeated often enough, makes some people complacent as in "yada yada too much info".  Listen to the scientists the media are referencing.  If people are fearful because they are hearing reports they don't want to believe and carry on as if nothing is out there to be fearful of, they may catch this 'bug' and pass it on.  We should just listen, evaluate, react to our own common sense, but don't denigrate those who DO pay attention to the advisories, read and listen to the media, and do our best to not be a part of the problem by refusing to believe the science behind the reports.  JMHO....   I expect to be flamed.

I totally concur. Hopefully, everybody who has decided this is media hype will self-quarantine for 14 days when they return home. While they may have decided they are not personally at risk, they could be carriers who transmit the virus to others who ARE at risk. The media is not the enemy here.

Edited by cpgrneyes
  • Like 1

CRUISING!  We are in a low-risk category and love cruising.  Will take all precautions (wipe downs, extensive hand washing, etc) and we will enjoy our vacation.

Each individual has to make their own decision, but for us we are going!

Sheila

• Like 1

Undecided. We are scheduled for New England/Canada in September. While that is a ways off, mom is 72 and has stage 4 breast cancer. Medication definitely puts her in the immune compromised category. Mostly concerned for her. Waiting and seeing.....sigh. 😞

1 minute ago, anna5545 said:

Undecided. We are scheduled for New England/Canada in September. While that is a ways off, mom is 72 and has stage 4 breast cancer. Medication definitely puts her in the immune compromised category. Mostly concerned for her. Waiting and seeing.....sigh. 😞

Praying that this will be blown over by then and that you will be able to enjoy a cruise with your mom.  I just returned from a cruise on Saturday with my mom who is 73 y/o.  Fortunately, the only risk factor is her age but no doubt I experience some anxiety about her traveling.  She, on the other hand, had none what-so-ever.  Wishing your mother a full recovery and an opportunity to cruise this fall!

I voted Cruising Some, Cancelling Some. Cancelling the Silverseas cruise out of Rome to Barcelona - well, waiting to see if It’s cancelled and get Full Refund, or ‘normal’ cancel and get FCC. But not going to do a Med cruise right now. Won’t cancel the Celebrity TA out of Barcelona, but of course, who knows what itineraries will be done this Fall. And leaving my TransPacific in March 2021 as is. Good luck to all. We have a lot of options now with the Cruise Lines doing the no-penalty cancelations, and lots of options that are low risk......yup, low risk not ‘no risk’, but then nothing is no risk, is it. 

Just have to see how this thing plays out; being retired and living off my stocks/bonds, I’m more interested in the impact on Wall Street. Glad I’m not on some WS forum!! I haven’t read all the posts, but it seems most of us aren’t attacking, or putting down others we may disagree with or see ‘it’ a bit different. Early on, I was the ‘cruise away’ type, but here I am ‘cancelling away’! 

Reality is tough to take, and I’ll stick with reading the Media reports, at least those that aren’t playing some game of ‘its all a hoax/political attacks’ stuff. It ain’t. 

Den

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Pickels said:

We did cancel; if we decided to go, would we really relax and enjoy ourselves; or, would we be concerned--did that person wash their hands, is that person who is coughing have the virus, did they disinfect that railing, are those utensils really clean, etc.  

I completely understand your point and decision. Ironically, it’s the bad hygiene of others that concerns me EVERY time I board a cruise ship, even when there’s not a global virus going around. I can’t count the number of times there’s been “cruise crud” (coughing, respiratory issues) on one of our sailings. We’ve caught it a few times, other times not. And another irony is that during this current epidemic, good hygiene is on everyone’s mind, ships and airplanes undergoing continuous extensive cleaning, etc. Possibly one of the safest times to be on a cruise from a health and sanitation standpoint!

I’m just glad Celebrity, and other lines, have stepped up to the plate with relaxed cancellation policies. And until the threat of post-cruise quarantine gets resolved, many are going to understandably cancel. We have friends aboard Grand Princess waiting to disembark in Oakland and continue on the next leg of their “extended vacation” at Travis AFB!

• Like 1

We are going on the Equinox March 14 cruise.     Packing has begun and we fly on Friday.    To be honest I'm more concerned about flying than the cruise itself.   I did buy a less than 4 ounce little spray bottle of disinfectant to clean my tray and arm rests.

• Like 2

In the process of cancelling our March 15th 12 night Silhouette cruise. I'm 66 in good health, however 63 yo wife has lupus so we couldn't risk it with her. We had just been upgraded yesterday from an inside to a veranda so will miss the improved scenery. Have a B2B in Aug/Sept on RC Liberty. Hopefully all will be quiet by then.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

We are going on the Equinox March 14 cruise.     Packing has begun and we fly on Friday.    To be honest I'm more concerned about flying than the cruise itself.   I did buy a less than 4 ounce little spray bottle of disinfectant to clean my tray and arm rests.

Jim, not just those!  Be sure to also clean the window shade, the light thingies and air vents above your head, the video screen and controller, the seat buckles, and the front and inside seat pockets....you probably would do that anyway and just didn’t list it all...but just in case!

we have done this for years, ever since getting sick due to air travel, and vowing not to let it happen again.  People used to look at us like we were crazy....hope you have a great trip!  Will be interested to see what X is now doing re prescreening.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Confirmed in Broward County now. Port Everglades cruise workers being checked.  You might want to have back up plans.