Cruising or Cancelling?

NMTraveller

Cruising, Cancelling, or Undecided  

365 members have voted

1. 1. For those of you that are heathy, are you cruising, cancelling, or undecided?

• Cruising
    • Cancelling
    • Undecided
    • Cruising some and cancelling some

Still going....

We're 60's and 70 but really want to go on this cruise.

We live in Florida, so no plane ride.

Taking more Vitamin C, getting more sleep.  Trying to stay as healthy as possible for our cruise in 2-1/2 weeks.

Aren't people over 60 supposed to have locked themselves in their homes?  You should have seen the traffic on our roads today (it's still Snowbird Season!).

Edited by mafig
  • Like 2

So sad that people are having to cancel their cruises. Up to now we are still going our B2B in June round trip Venice, cruises we have done before but loved so much we booked again and again! Really hope things get better soon. Will only miss these trips if we have no choice. Dianne

• Like 1

Despite everything, I just can't bring myself to cancel our April 11 cruise.  Embarkation day is a month away and a lot can happen between now and then.  I'm thinking Celebrity will have to cancel us before we would cancel them.  Why sympathizing with those who are sick and even those who have succumbed to the virus, I still believe this has been over hyped causing panic and fear.  High risk groups aside, I wonder each day why there has never been such an outcry against cruising during flu season or for the contraction of Noro virus, both of which are easily picked up on a cruise ship, air plane, train, market, stadium, etc.  Not even  a peep relating to travel advisories for those illnesses.

Currently in my city, our news agencies are reporting when individuals are diagnosed with the virus...."married man in Fulton county diagnosed with the virus..."  "Lawyer in Conyers suspected to have Corona virus..."  Causing what?  Fear.  My DD lives in Fulton county along with hundreds of thousands of other people.  Should I advise her not to leave her home?  It's just too much and the catastrophic damage the fear mongering is doing has far reaching consequences beyond the virus itself.  All in my opinion, of course.

Good for you. I’m on the same cruise ( I think) and don’t want to cancel!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, sn2792 said:

We are mid 60’s with no health issues, but decided to cancel our March 23 cruise on Reflection. It seems like more and more ports are denying entry. Didn’t want to risk a possible quarantine. We have 3 more cruises booked on Celebrity in the fall and early next year. Hopefully, this gets under control by then.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are on the same cruise and are 90% sure we will cancel for many reasons. We are both 61. Do not want the stress of quarantine, nor do we want to stress our DD and other family worrying about us. Also, now that the US is saying they may not repatriate people who went on cruises I do not want to be stuck somewhere. 

Facing the dilemma of paying for our mid June AK cruise that is due in a few days. I know we can cancel but then we will have a lot of FCC as we are paying for two cabins and traveling with two people who are older.

Edited by JSR

5 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

No flaming by me at all.  I don't disagree with you.  Media reporting scientific fact is great and expected.  Media encouraging people to hoard food and supplies, avoid social circumstances, etc. incites panic and this has been occurring in our area.  I'm not sure what the balance is yet, and I'm sure there is one, between irrational fear of traveling by cruise ship, and informed decision making that results in what's good for the individual. You make good points!

NY times had an interesting article today about two cities reaction to the 1918 flu epidemic, (yes I know it was a long time ago), the city of Philadelphia did not cancel their parade nor take reasonable precautions. On the other hand St. Louis did cancel events, instituted what we now call 'social distancing'. St. Louis was able to contain the outbreak and Philadelphia was not. History has a nasty way of repeating itself. Reasonable precautions by all will help everyone. We need to think of both ourselves and the community at large. 

An example: I have been on 5 airplanes in 4 States and 4 airports (several of those 4 twice) in the last 10 days. I feel fine. I am supposed to have dinner with a friend on Thursday who is in his late 70s with many underlying health issues. I am going to cancel because it is not fair of me to take the chance that I picked up something I am unaware of and inadvertently put him at risk. 

We most at this time think of not just ourselves but of others. 

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, JSR said:

An example: I have been on 5 airplanes in 4 States and 4 airports (several of those 4 twice) in the last 10 days. I feel fine. I am supposed to have dinner with a friend on Thursday who is in his late 70s with many underlying health issues. I am going to cancel because it is not fair of me to take the chance that I picked up something I am unaware of and inadvertently put him at risk. 

We most at this time think of not just ourselves but of others. 

I appreciate this perspective and the food for thought.  Thank you.

• Like 2

Got a 7 day cruise out of San Juan planned for April 18. Flights will take us to Atlanta and then San Juan. I'm travelling with my parents who are in their 60s with no health issues. I have no health issues either. We're currently in a hold pattern. Is it worth not only the risk of coronavirus but also countries denying docking at ports and possible quarantine on the ship? I can work remotely so the quarantine factor really doesn't bother me. Just will have to have my office ship me the laptop and cell phone!

We canceled our May 2nd Summit cruise out of San Juan yesterday. Two Moms with daughters... both moms in their late 80s. Once the CDC and State Dept came out with their "do not cruise" announcement (esp for older folk) we bailed. Another factor was the implied "you're on your own" if you go on a cruise and get stuck in a foreign country. Disappointing for all of us but it was the right decision for our circumstances.

• Like 2

We are sadly cancelling or April cruise because of the corona virus. We are 73 and 68 prime targets.  Love to cruise but no desire to be shut up in a cruise cabin or on shore a long way from home.  We wish the best for every one who goes and have a rum punch for me.

• Like 2

We are canceling our March 23rd cruise as suggested by the Medical Officer of Health in Canada. It was an easy decision even prior to her advice.
The entire time we would be worried about it, especially the fear of being quarantined in a place we never heard of.
I’d rather be home , even in -35 degrees.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 2

We are cancelling, scheduled for March 15 sailing on Silhouette...posted in Canadians advised to avoid cruising. (Btw - current count online shows over 500 vacant cabins)

Still surprised to see the odd post from a Canadian traveller who indicates they are planning to travel. 

Best of luck to all who sail...

We canceled our March 14th cruise on the Summit. I'm sad about it but even though we are low risk plus DH and I already work from home and there would be little difference if we were quarantined, my DS who was also going with us in our first suite is on the Autism Spectrum. His anxiety is sky high right now between mid-term exams and coronovirus. Last year we almost were denied boarding because his anxiety caused GI issues and he told them his stomach ached as we checked in. 

We jumped at the chance to cancel and get FCC especially since Delta was kind enough to refund the miles used for our flights.

I hope that we will find another suite deal that fits our schedules later this year or next. 

Molly

I originally voted Undecided.  However it looks like we are going to Cancel One and Cruise on another.  The shorter cruises I am not as concerned about as the longer cruises.  A three week trip to Europe may be a little much under the circumstances (missed ports).  Last year we had some missed ports and I am not a fan.

Undecided.   DH and I are in our early 50’s and in reasonable health, however, our parents are not in good health so we do have those considerations.  This would be our 15th cruise which was booked for our 25th wedding anniversary.  We booked on-board two years ago only to be changed by Celebrity a few times.  We were originally booked to the Caribbean and we were informed last year that the ship was going to be scheduled for dry dock, picked another cruise with an OBC offer from Celebrity, turns out it is the Hawaii cruise April that is now shortened by two days. Dealing with a large OBC because of the shortened cruise.  We depart for Vancouver on April 10th, however, the cruise now doesn’t sail until April 12th.  Prior to this whole mess, we extended our time in Hawaii by five days as we have never been.  Now I wonder if the hotel in Hawaii will even honour our reservation if we came off a cruise ship?  Apparently, Hawaii is asking for a temporary suspension of cruise ships...not sure if this will happen.  On top of it, my company has decided that if you travel personally and you go against Canada’s warning to not travel on a cruise ship, I will likely be quarantined upon return to Canada for 14 days without pay.  

DH and I have done a risk assessment, we evaluate everyday, but have decided to make a final decision on whether to sail or cancel on April 6th.  COVID-19 is so fluid, it is hard to keep up.  I can cancel flights and obtain refunds minus change fees by this date, hotels will be fully refundable, cancelled cruise will either be an FCC or a girl can dream for a full refund.  If we cancel, we likely will never get the aft corner suite, perks and OBC at the price we paid for.  

Appears this cruise was never meant to sail for us from the beginning, I just keep telling DH we can go on another cruise AFTER 25 more years of marriage!

We are to be on the Edge this Sunday. Two days ago we were going then Monday night we changed our mind about going when we heard about pier works getting the virus.  However, we have been unable to get our TA. First they had a phone issue Tuesday, then yesterday we tried calling all day and line was busy. We sent several email to different customer service persons and agents but no answer yet. I hope we get one today. I sent another email early this morning. I will call CC today after noon if no answer to emails. Either way we are not going now. We are both in 70s with lung and heart issues. 

We have three more cruises coming, April 21, July 2 and Aug 1. We will wait and see on those. 

Glad to see events now being cancelled where large crowds are in attendance. 

• Like 1

We just received an email back from the TA that she cancelled cruise. No mention of what cost to us, or what credit or FCC we are getting. Their phone system has not worked for 2 days and they are swamped with emails. Most people want an explanation what cost is to them when they cancel so that they can make a decision what's best for them. Our next cruise we did not use a TA and will be interesting the difference. We used X for the booking.