Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Kilroyshere

NCL: STOP THE MASS MAIL CATALOGUE MADNESS

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

I will be Platinum with NCL after my sailing next week, so I have been cruising with NCL for a while. I almost NEVER get paper mailings from them. Maybe one post card a month at most? Never a catalog or anything with multiple pages...

Same here - no mailings from them, but I do get e-mails!  And definitely not Platinum!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol, not complaining, just feel bad that they are wasting all that paper on me!  The more paper they use, the higher our costs are.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I am platinum with NCL and I don't get the mailers either; however, my mother-in-law who has been deceased for a few years, gets at least a couple per week!

Ditto!
My MIL never even lived in the same state as we lived and we get Viking material 3-4 times a week. A week!
We get nothing from NCL save the rare advert from the casino. We are not big gamblers


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Kilroyshere said:

NCLH, NCL, Regent, Oceania...

 

Distinctions without difference as far as me their cruising consumer is concerned and the cheap multi-weekly, annoying, wasteful, mass mailings that CHEAPENS ALL THEIR BRANDS.

 

And last time I was on an NCL ship, the on-board reservation rep was indeed offering literature for Oceania and Regent, so your corporate Holding company distinction is moot in so far as the top of this holding company is responsible for the same mass marketing that all 3 NCLH cruise subsidiaries are guilty of.

 

 

 

Maybe...just maybe...if you differentiated between the distinctions then you wouldn't have to come here bemoaning your situation. I won't speak for anyone else, but I can assure you that I don't have this problem with unwanted mailings. Why do you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I will be Platinum with NCL after my sailing next week, so I have been cruising with NCL for a while. I almost NEVER get paper mailings from them. Maybe one post card a month at most? Never a catalog or anything with multiple pages...

We don't either, we get advertising from our Travel agency but not NCL. I think ( but don't quote me) i think you can sign up not to get any mailings through your NCL.com account.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, spanishguy1970 said:

We don't either, we get advertising from our Travel agency but not NCL. I think ( but don't quote me) i think you can sign up not to get any mailings through your NCL.com account.

 

I called NCL...not NCLH to those who point out the distinction with no difference for their corporate tax and liability corporate structures.

 

The NCL rep said that all 3 cruise lines (NCL, Regent & Oceania) have the same marketing department. He acknowledged he's heard many others request the same opt out as you cannot opt out from mailings on NCL's Latitudes account preferences.

 

I asked a cc email he was sending to corporate marketing to cease the mailings, be sent me. He was unable to do that.

 

We will see if this stops the wasteful mass marketing catalogue barrages we're getting weekly from NCLH (NCL & Oceania).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

 

Maybe...just maybe...if you differentiated between the distinctions then you wouldn't have to come here bemoaning your situation. I won't speak for anyone else, but I can assure you that I don't have this problem with unwanted mailings. Why do you?

 

I called NCL...not NCLH to those who point out the distinction with no difference for their corporate tax and liability corporate structures.

 

The NCL rep said that all 3 cruise lines (NCL, Regent & Oceania) have the same marketing department.

 

He acknowledged he's heard many others request the same opt out as you cannot opt out on NCL's Latitudes account preferences.

 

He took my request and is sending it to their marketing department...the same one who mass markets for NCL, Regent and Oceania.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm Platinum and NEVER get mailings from NCL. What we do get are mailings from a TA, that look like they came from various cruise lines, but when you look they are clearly TA branded documents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kilroyshere said:

NCLH and their subsidiary cruise line mass mailings are almost as annoying as RoboCalls. 

Robocalls, no, those they do ON the ship trying to sell  you CN certificates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DW and I are both Plat Plus.  She gets 2-3 a week.  In the past, she typically gets any mailings from them despite I'm the lead person on the booking and who does all the reservations.  I did get one mailing last week though so they must be using a couple databases.  Our mailings arrived the same day but were different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, dexddd said:

Robocalls, no, those they do ON the ship trying to sell  you CN certificates.

.

On the ship is the worst. Flyers for CruiseNext every night inserted in the Freestyle Paper. Plus messages on the phone. On my recent cruise, they even left me a message on the cabin TV account. I wonder if a pax buys CN the first day of sailing if that would stop the harassment?

 

I am PP and get the junk mail for all 3 NCLH lines plus Viking every now and then. Just flip them right into the recycle bin my garage. These companies budget too much money for marketing. Wouldn't it be better to spend most of that on better wages for the lowly crew members?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, davencl said:

That is very strange.  I suppose they know you're a regular customer so don't need to send these to you.   Both myself and my wife get 2-3 mailings a week.

It has to do with your latitudes profile that requests snail mail communications. 
 

We are Platinum Plus members and hardly ever get anything in snail mail. 
 

Communicating (email or snail mail) is a very effective marketing mechanism to keep your product in front of your customers measured by hits on specific web pages referenced.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

It has to do with your latitudes profile that requests snail mail communications. 
 

We are Platinum Plus members and hardly ever get anything in snail mail. 
 

Communicating (email or snail mail) is a very effective marketing mechanism to keep your product in front of your customers measured by hits on specific web pages referenced.  

Wrong.

 

I was unable to change mail market preferences on my Latitudes account and calling NCL confirmed that is so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, IrieBajan54 said:

.

On the ship is the worst. Flyers for CruiseNext every night inserted in the Freestyle Paper. Plus messages on the phone. On my recent cruise, they even left me a message on the cabin TV account. I wonder if a pax buys CN the first day of sailing if that would stop the harassment?

 

I am PP and get the junk mail for all 3 NCLH lines plus Viking every now and then. Just flip them right into the recycle bin my garage. These companies budget too much money for marketing. Wouldn't it be better to spend most of that on better wages for the lowly crew members?

 

You point out how NCLH's 3 cruise lines (NCL, Regent, Oceania) have gone too far in my opinion pushing their product in what is akin to RoboCalling and guerilla mass marketing I'd expect from K-Mart more than these cruise lines. 

 

I recall when Regent was not a NCLH property and they did this kind of tawdry marketing back then. I suspect when the Regent team took the head at NCHL, they brought this mass catalogue marketing to NCL and Oceania.

 

Now, possible government  bailouts or government incentives are being discussed in Washington DC due to the China virus impact on the industry.

 

As far as I'm concerned, I don't want one cent of my tax dollars going to this company while they blow away all that money on mass mailings of catalogues every week to the same people. Stop the mailings NCLH and use those monies saved to keep your cruise line financially afloat first.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GA Dave said:

My wife and I each get the same catalog, usually one day apart, at least 2-3 times per month.  Why do they mail the same exact thing to the same address???

 

Because they don't do maintenance on there mail lists.

I am a retired printing and mailing professional. 

I would of loved to have had their printing business!

BTW we are platinum for a long time and as previously poster said  the barrage

just started for us a couple of months ago.

Keeps people employed in a skilled job though.

Paper is made from farmed wood and recycled paper.

Better for the environment than tons of broken electronic devices tossed in a landfill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NJGeorge said:

 

Because they don't do maintenance on there mail lists.

I am a retired printing and mailing professional. 

I would of loved to have had their printing business!

BTW we are platinum for a long time and as previously poster said  the barrage

just started for us a couple of months ago.

Keeps people employed in a skilled job though.

Paper is made from farmed wood and recycled paper.

Better for the environment than tons of broken electronic devices tossed in a landfill.

And just where do you think these catalogues are printed...hmmm?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kilroyshere said:

And just where do you think these catalogues are printed...hmmm?

Dosen't matter where; somebody is doing an honest days work. And my mailman lives 3 houses down from me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NJGeorge said:

Dosen't matter where; somebody is doing an honest days work. And my mailman lives 3 houses down from me.

USPS lost $7 billion in 2019 and $4 billion in 2018. USPS business is going to be 'junk' mail. It's a terrible waste of energy, resources and produces more garbage. Now that Amazon has created their own 1st and last mile delivery. USPS is a dinosaur whose time has come and gone.

 

As for that 'honest days work' printing these, if those workers are say, in China, do you still believe that and, do you want NCL, Regent and Oceania supporting that kind of labor ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kilroyshere said:

USPS lost $7 billion in 2019 and $4 billion in 2018. USPS business is going to be 'junk' mail. It's a terrible waste of energy, resources and produces more garbage. Now that Amazon has created their own 1st and last mile delivery. USPS is a dinosaur whose time has come and gone.

 

As for that 'honest days work' printing these, if those workers are say, in China, do you still believe that and, do you want NCL, Regent and Oceania supporting that kind of labor ?

 

My mailman dosen't care where the mail comes from as long as he can support his family.

Amazon boxes  = more garbage than the USPS ever did.

 

Why not, they do it on their ships. How many US citizens do you see working on cruise ships?

 

Anyway I get two or three NCL brochures a week. 

Moving on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NJGeorge said:

 

My mailman dosen't care where the mail comes from as long as he can support his family.

Amazon boxes  = more garbage than the USPS ever did.

 

Why not, they do it on their ships. How many US citizens do you see working on cruise ships?

 

Anyway I get two or three NCL brochures a week. 

Moving on.

I care about how environmentally foolish this marketing is.

 

I care that they use the USPS to deliver junk...a USPS that costs us taxpayers 10's of billions a year in subsidy loans the USPS cannot ever pay back nor meet their unfunded pension liabilities that we taxpayers will get stuck with...

 

...so you can get your portfolio of catalogues sent to your door every day.

 

It all reflects quite poorly on NCLH and those who support this kind of guerilla marketing that's akin to RoboCalling.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get a few small brochures from Oceania every week but never anything from NCL.

 

I should like to get them if they had pictures from the ships, deckplans and prices for different cabins on specific cruises but they doesn't so I just throw them away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NCl sends me at least 2-3 fliers a week. Such a waste of money and paper. NO NCL, I am not booking a cruise anytime in the future until I know how this virus is going to develope. I am platinum anyway and watch the website almost daily. NCL is giving no more info than I already know. I can not imagine how much these fliers cost. Keep wasting your money NCL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So as an aside from this conversation, does anybody have any concrete knowledge of who to contact to get off of the snail mail list?

Edited by LinnieRed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...