Traveling with kids, cancelled due to current concerns?

We cancelled Symphony this AM for the 3/14 sailing. The clincher for us was that the out-of-country insurance would not cover cruise ships since the Canadian government warned against it on Monday. Could not risk having a non-coronavirus-related illness not being covered due to this technicality. Lost lost of money in various places: scooter rental, likely flights, hotel, etc.

I was actually looking forward to being on a cruise that I estimate will be 2/3 empty. Oh well. Life's a b**ch and we move on.

Booked for 3/22 on Anthem with our 19 month old. About 90% certain we are going to be cancelling. We’ve been going back and forth for the last couple of weeks but I wouldn’t feel right putting my son in a situation that would possibly heighten his risk of catching the virus. Yes the possibility to catch it exists everywhere, and yes there doesn’t seem to be data to support children catching severe cases, nevertheless I can’t do it. I’ve been looking forward to this for a long while and I LOVE cruising. This decision has consumed me for the last week or so. Unless something drastically changes between now and next Wednesday, we’re out. My number 1 job is to do what I think is best to protect my kid. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We are booked with our 3 kids, 14/12/9, on the 4/11 Symphony sailing, so exactly 30 days out. We are still in watchful waiting mode. This is a LONG awaited trip...we haven't been on a cruise or other big family vacation for several years due to budget constraints and we really don't want to cancel/postpone, but we also don't want to either put other people at risk as vectors for disease, or risk getting quarantined on the ship. (No free upgrades to Owners Suite available on our sailing, alas!) I am assuming that by late March, we will have a much better picture of what our options are, both in terms of how this pandemic is playing out nationally and worldwide, but our own specific situation too. So we're just keeping an eye on things. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ginadcnj said:

We are booked with our 3 kids, 14/12/9, on the 4/11 Symphony sailing, so exactly 30 days out. We are still in watchful waiting mode. This is a LONG awaited trip...we haven't been on a cruise or other big family vacation for several years due to budget constraints and we really don't want to cancel/postpone, but we also don't want to either put other people at risk as vectors for disease, or risk getting quarantined on the ship. (No free upgrades to Owners Suite available on our sailing, alas!) I am assuming that by late March, we will have a much better picture of what our options are, both in terms of how this pandemic is playing out nationally and worldwide, but our own specific situation too. So we're just keeping an eye on things. 

We're on the same sailing with you with our 15 and 13 y/o (she turns 13 during the cruise).  Really don't want to cancel and just waiting to see how things progress as are you.  As of now my stance is that as long as the ship is sailing then so am I.  However, I do want to check into whether there is any health insurance issues if we do go.  We bought the insurance through Royal but I'm sure that's not going to be good enough if something more serious happens. 

Another thing someone brought up is that if the kids go on a cruise the school won't let them back in.  Our district hasn't said anything about that...yet.

Will your children be allowed to return to school after the cruise?  Consider this.  The Archdiocese of Miami just issued this notice to all catholic schools within the diocese (i.e., in Miami-Dade and Broward Counties):

”Because of the unusual nature of the novel coronavirus outbreak, the US government is advising US travelers to defer cruise ship travel.  If you take a cruise in the next few weeks, you will be at Warning Level 3.  This will be a 14-day self-quarantine and may report to school only if symptom free after the 14-day period.”

Edited by elephant98

7 minutes ago, tropiclvrs said:

Another thing someone brought up is that if the kids go on a cruise the school won't let them back in.  Our district hasn't said anything about that...yet.

I'd like to know what public school system is making those rules.  They would have to be very careful on rules like that since this virus has now spread to the point where it can now be picked up anywhere.

• Like 2

Yes. We had Anthem booked for this Sunday (booked almost 2 years earlier) and I just cancelled last night.  Our kids are 14 and 10 and we didn't want to risk getting stuck in a quarantine.  Also concerned of any stigma when we returned of their friends' parents not wanting their kid hanging around our kids if they just went on a cruise.  Gutted that we had to cancel, but we feel it's the right thing to do for us.  We re-booked Anthem for December holiday and hoping things are back to normal by then (or a new norm).  

We are also Canadian so additional concerns there in getting back, etc.

Edited by LuCruise

1 minute ago, snausman said:

No not at all, we leave next Friday.  There will be 5 of us, 65, 53, 40, 40, 10.  

Sorry but see no reason at this point to cancel.  In fact we just upgrade our balcony to a 2 bedroom suite. 

Laura

Did you get a deal on that? I've been looking online and doing mock bookings and it doesn't seem like there are many options that don't cost a ton more money. 

we got an email from our kids school today that basically said if anyone took a cruise over Spring Break they would require a mandatory self quarantine of two weeks no matter where they travelled or with who.

42 minutes ago, clayay said:

we got an email from our kids school today that basically said if anyone took a cruise over Spring Break they would require a mandatory self quarantine of two weeks no matter where they travelled or with who.

OMG, that just seems crazy and unjustified at this point.  

Editing my comment because I did find something in our school district guidelines that says no visitors, students and staff who have a travel history over the course of the last 14 days to an area identified by the CDC as a level 3 Travel Health Notice. 

So, are cruises to the Caribbean at this time on the CDC level 3 Travel Health Notice ?

Edited by tropiclvrs

7 hours ago, KelSny1011 said:

That is not true.  They are only offering FCC and possible refunds depending on what penalty phase you're in.  Regarding FCC; each passenger gets back their own cruise fare price.  Also, they are only valid through a certain period of time.  So if I was to cancel my family cruise scheduled for next month, and rebook for April 2021.  I would be out of pocked $741.84 purely due to price increase, I also lose being onboard of a newly remodeled ship, I also will not be booking on the same promo that I booked originally, therefore, I could be out more since when I booked it was buy one get one 50%.  What that means is that my husband was the #1 passenger,meaning he will have more credit and probably have credit left over where I will actually have to pay more for me since my cruise credit will be lower.  As long as everyone is aware of how the FCC works then it might work out perfectly.  However, there are many of us who this doesn't work out well for and why we are willing to wait it out or risk just boarding and see what happens.  

At this point, if you don't cancel after all of tonight's news, which should be pretty darn sobering, I don't know what to tell you.

I know I'd never forgive myself if I got my kids sick b/c of money...

12 minutes ago, CruisingNole said:

If you choose to travel with your children, you are a terrible parent.

Schools are closing for crying out loud. ***** is wrong with some of you people?

Everyone makes their own decision about what to do.

Some of us have sought out facts so we can make a better informed decision to understand the risks we deal with in our daily lives. 

The risk to a healthy person under 50 is lower and the numbers below don't even take into account the chance of contracting it first....just the chance of something bad happening after you contract.  Myself and my family have a significantly higher % chance of getting hit by a car and dying tomorrow on the way to school than any medical issues associated with this virus.

Specific to corona as of 3/11/2020 world wide

Age / Chance of death for all cases (not taking into account any pre-existing condition in the poor souls who died)

80+ years old

14.8%
70-79 years old

8.0%
60-69 years old

3.6%
50-59 years old

1.3%
40-49 years old

0.4%
30-39 years old

0.2%
20-29 years old

0.2%
10-19 years old

0.2%
0-9 years old

no fatalities

• Like 4

The CLIA (Cruise company Association) has requested the White House bar 70 yr olds and older unless their doctors certify their health.

Since my husband and I are at that time in life even though we are in good health— we will cancel tomorrow.  We were leaning towards cancelling but that is the tipping point.  We don’t want to try to get certified nor do we want to subject our 2 grandchildren to a possible quarantine.  Children are in a lower risk group but not a no- risk group.

If the Association of which RCCL is a member & the CDC and the State Dept all say cruising is risky, then why go?  I would be too worried and that wouldn’t be a vacation.

I wish everyone good health.  And happy sailing in the future.

12 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

Some of us have sought out facts so we can make a better informed decision to understand the risks we deal with in our daily lives. 

The risk to a healthy person under 50 is lower and the numbers below don't even take into account the chance of contracting it first....just the chance of something bad happening after you contract.  Myself and my family have a significantly higher % chance of getting hit by a car and dying tomorrow on the way to school than any medical issues associated with this virus.

Age / Chance of death for all cases (not taking into account any pre-existing condition in the poor souls who died)

80+ years old

14.8%
70-79 years old

8.0%
60-69 years old

3.6%
50-59 years old

1.3%
40-49 years old

0.4%
30-39 years old

0.2%
20-29 years old

0.2%
10-19 years old

0.2%
0-9 years old

no fatalities

Somewhat flawed logic aside, what of that indicates it is an ideal time to take a cruise vacation against all warnings? 

19 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

80+ years old

14.8%
70-79 years old

8.0%
60-69 years old

3.6%
50-59 years old

1.3%
40-49 years old

0.4%
30-39 years old

0.2%
20-29 years old

0.2%
10-19 years old

0.2%
0-9 years old

no fatalities

These are old numbers from 2 weeks ago (2/29) - they have not been updated as things have been flying so fast.  And they are based almost solely on China's reported numbers.  https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

Instead, what has been coming out now is that if one family member gets sick, every one in the same house seems to get sick, no matter the age.  How sick is still TBD b/c corona takes a minimum of 2-4 weeks to get through if you get the virus.

Edited by TwoMisfits

1 minute ago, LMaxwell said:

Somewhat flawed logic aside, what of that indicates it is an ideal time to take a cruise vacation against all warnings? 

The logic is sound but thanks 😉

If something changes in the fatality rate and infectious rate of this virus between now and when we leave we will evaluate that.  As with everyone here we all gauge what risks are acceptable.  We see no significant change in our personal risk profile for this cruise than we had 4 months ago when it was booked.  If anything....an argument could be made our risk profile is actually going down because of enhance screening and public hysteria shrinking the total number of people on the boat 😉

I would provide a link to the site that does nothing more that report straight facts about the virus...infections, rate of infections, deaths, non-deaths....but for reasons I am sure many people are aware off...links to other sites are verboten 😉

1 minute ago, dodgestang said:

The logic is sound but thanks 😉

If something changes in the fatality rate and infectious rate of this virus between now and when we leave we will evaluate that.  As with everyone here we all gauge what risks are acceptable.  We see no significant change in our personal risk profile for this cruise than we had 4 months ago when it was booked.  If anything....an argument could be made our risk profile is actually going down because of enhance screening and public hysteria shrinking the total number of people on the boat 😉

I would provide a link to the site that does nothing more that report straight facts about the virus...infections, rate of infections, deaths, non-deaths....but for reasons I am sure many people are aware off...links to other sites are verboten 😉

Enjoy your 90% empty cruise and Leper status when you return.  Hope you can afford the quarantine costs

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

These are old numbers from 2 weeks ago (2/29) -

The main page is updated daily...but I do see now that little footnite that the deeper analysis age might be stale....I keep an eye on it daily....but as of reporting from other sources there have been no report children's death....obviously I am keeping an eye on it.  But am still in the "we are going on 4/16" camp 😉

1 minute ago, LMaxwell said:

Enjoy your 90% empty cruise and Leper status when you return.  Hope you can afford the quarantine costs

I work from a home office....so it has no impact to me.

as for fill....if it drops to 90 percent empty...RCCL would probably just cancel anyway so everyone's concerns would be moot.

Edited by dodgestang

Just now, dodgestang said:

I work from a home office....so it has no impact to me.

You can stay home for 14-30 days without leaving?  Impressive.  Kids won't have a problem with school?  Although I guess many schools will just be closed altogether.