Feb 12, 2021 Explorer OTS question - theme cruise? or large group onboard?

DLKC

We booked this cruise in November and every once in awhile I take a look to check rates, available cabins, etc.  The other day I noticed that all balconies on this cruise are sold out, and most ocean view cabins are sold. Most inside cabins also seem to be booked.  And looks like half or more of the suites are booked.  This seems very odd to me, this far out.

I am on the RCCL Meet & Mingle thread for the cruise, and there are several individuals/small groups booked.

So I'm wondering what the reason could be that the ship is so booked up this far out. Is it --

-- a RCCL theme cruise?

-- a very large group that has many cabins either sold or held until a certain date?

-- is it just a wonderful itinerary and good time of year to cruise?

I called RCCL Crown & Anchor number the other day and had their recording about the new cancellation policy re coronavirus, and to expect longer than usual wait times to speak with someone, and they ask that if the call is about a cruise more than two weeks out, to call back later.  So I'll call back later.  I'm sure they are swamped dealing with questions of "right now."

If any of you know why the Feb 12 cruise is so booked, I'd love to hear!  Thanks.

There are plenty of balconies for 3 people available on this sailing.   Some TAs may also have some balconies for 2 still available as well.   (i did a google search for the ship and sail date and did not find any sites advertising it as a theme cruise).

36 minutes ago, stevea36 said:

There are plenty of balconies for 3 people available on this sailing.   Some TAs may also have some balconies for 2 still available as well.   (i did a google search for the ship and sail date and did not find any sites advertising it as a theme cruise).

Well, that is quite interesting -- I had not thought to check for 3 people (instead of 2), and yes, there are balcony cabins open! I never knew they did that sort of thing -- they aren't suites.  But at least the ship is not completely sold out and nothing really strange then.

Thanks.

I know this is not your question, but just info about Explorer.

We were on Explorer this Feb. One of the cruise staff told us a company chartered the entire ship for 2 weeks near the end of Feb. 

One week was a Star Trek cruise for a week followed by an 80’s cruise also for a week.  The cruise staff is mostly limited to crowd control, as the group chartering runs and organizes the events.  She said the chartered weeks are sort of easy weeks for the cruise staff 

The cruise staff told told us they believed the same group also chartered 2 weeks in late Feb 2021, for the same theme cruises. 

On 3/10/2020 at 12:43 PM, cb at sea said:

This is a popular time for cruises.....and I'm sure MANY TA's have blocks being held up for their bookings.

Agree, my kids.Grands have this time yr off every yr for Mid-Winter Break. I use Cruise every Feb getting Presidents Day off Fed Holiday