Occupancy Rate for Celebrity to Cancel?

Jthans24

Has anyone ever heard how low the occupancy rate would have to go before Celebrity would cancel a cruise?

We are on the Sillhoutte this Sunday, 3/15, and Two days ago there was 125 open cabins and last night 346. I imagine when I look tonight the numbers will Be even bigger. With 1400 or so cabins they were only at 75% and the number of cancellations going up rapidly.

IMO there’s no way Celebrity will cancel this sailing (which we are on too). They’re already fully stocked and the crew is getting paid regardless!  Looks to me like we will be sailing at around 50% capacity when the dust settles tomorrow so I feel bad for the crew who will be making less money in gratuities. 

Certainly this is an interesting question for April/May cruises, but with the fluidity of the Covid-19 situation and the 48 hour cancellation deadline I don’t know how Celebrity will be able to accurately guess capacity until too close to sailing. 

Edited by chrispee

Tipped crew do have a guaranteed minimum amount that they will get even if the ship would sail empty -- I learned this when Millennium broke in Alaska and had to sail empty to dry dock, then back to Alaska.  The crew received some money to make up for lost tips.  They weren't completely idle during that time, and were busy doing deep cleaning, inventory organizing, and various other duties, although many did have time to relax some on deck.  I remember when they transited the Panama Canal, the land-based cameras saw many people poolside, waving and enjoying the day.

18 minutes ago, Jthans24 said:

Has anyone ever heard how low the occupancy rate would have to go before Celebrity would cancel a cruise?

We are on the Sillhoutte this Sunday, 3/15, and Two days ago there was 125 open cabins and last night 346. I imagine when I look tonight the numbers will Be even bigger. With 1400 or so cabins they were only at 75% and the number of cancellations going up rapidly.

Since cancelling would require paying TAs, cruise staff, some guarantees on dockage, refunds for those still booked etc. Who knows?

There are Mediterranean cruises with 75% open cabins!

We're on the March 14 Summit sailing and it looks like we are at about 65% full right now.  Someone on our role call just said less people onboard means less to catch something from, and easier to get a lounger and a drink!

• Like 5

Our veranda on the March 15th Silhouette became available today. We cancelled because my wife has a compromised immune system(lupus). Boy were we looking forward to 12 nights in the Caribbean. Maybe later this year or next.

3 minutes ago, katrina915 said:

I would imagine that they are doing this by doing a mock booking.

I wouldn't be surprised if they sail with many empty cabins to try and stabilize the situation. 

It doesn’t give you a count though, does it? So they’d have to select each cabin type and deck and count them? There must be an easier way to see.

17 minutes ago, Hllb said:

It doesn’t give you a count though, does it? So they’d have to select each cabin type and deck and count them? There must be an easier way to see.

There are TA websites show show full availability but we can't list them here.

They sail.... Once upon a time.....back April 2001.... Summit came out of the maintenance dock early... as in only about a week to sell a brand new 7 night sailing. They sold as much as they could.. and we sailed.

3 hours ago, Hllb said:

I am not a TA and counted the open rooms in each category.  Here are the open rooms on the Eclipse April 12, 2020 sailing.

Celebrity Suite                 1

Sky Suite                           5

H – Sky Suite                    2

Aqua                                  12

Concierge                         87

Family Veranda               1

Sunset Veranda               13

Veranda                            245

H -Veranda                      2

Ocean View                      19

H – Ocean View               2

Inside                                17

H – Inside                         4

TOTAL                                410       

6 hours ago, az_tchr said:

Since cancelling would require paying TAs, cruise staff, some guarantees on dockage, refunds for those still booked etc. Who knows?

There are Mediterranean cruises with 75% open cabins!

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

Edge. July 27 Med Cruise Rome - Rome

Total Over 465 cabins.   What percentage is this of all cabins?

Cruising the Med in the next 6-10 weeks must be in jeopardy,   There is a hope is that the potential infection spread will have peaked by then but there is no certainty.  I do wonder if Celebrity and other cruise lines are considering cutting capacity.

4 minutes ago, dutchclogs said:

Cruising the Med in the next 6-10 weeks must be in jeopardy,   There is a hope is that the potential infection spread will have peaked by then but there is no certainty.  I do wonder if Celebrity and other cruise lines are considering cutting capacity.

On the Edge it represents 1/3 empty cabins. I'm thinking that people are hanging out a bit until the TAs go, or not, as that's before final payment. When the crunch comes to final payment, if things haven't improved then I'd expect that vacancy rate to increase significantly. 

21 minutes ago, dutchclogs said:

I'm sure you're right Puska.  In the past I've had a short European flight being cancelled due to under capacity. Never heard of a cruise being cancelled for this reason though. Perhaps others know of examples?

Unprecedented in the history of cruising to have such world wide impacts. Excluding of course, WW2. 

Some of the apparently empty capacity could be guarantee cabins which have been sold but not been allocated yet?

That said the perfect storm of individual cancellations, port closures, historical site closures, flight cancellations and government warning re cruise travel make this a difficult time for cruise companies. As a result they may have to cut capacity and consolidate in the short term to survive in the longer term.

I would be comfortable sailing round trip out of the Uk as I know I would be allowed back home but not from a foreign embarkation in case I got stuck there. I’m sure others feel the same and may be happy to leave from a homeland port but not one with a long flight which could be cancelled (or boarding denied in the case of illness).

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I would be comfortable sailing round trip out of the Uk as I know I would be allowed back home but not from a foreign embarkation in case I got stuck there. I’m sure others feel the same and may be happy to leave from a homeland port but not one with a long flight which could be cancelled (or boarding denied in the case of illness).

Excellent point on sailing R/T from your own Country.  

11 hours ago, Sam.Seattle said:

I am not a TA and counted the open rooms in each category.  Here are the open rooms on the Eclipse April 12, 2020 sailing.

Celebrity Suite                 1

Sky Suite                           5

H – Sky Suite                    2

Aqua                                  12

Concierge                         87

Family Veranda               1

Sunset Veranda               13

Veranda                            245

H -Veranda                      2

Ocean View                      19

H – Ocean View               2

Inside                                17

H – Inside                         4

TOTAL                                410       

This is really interesting - I have a few cruises planned over the next year or so starting next month. Any pointers on how to find this info - without breaking the rules on here of course!? Thanks

7 hours ago, Pushka said:

Unprecedented in the history of cruising to have such world wide impacts. Excluding of course, WW2. 

There was major panic for travel after the 9-11 attacks.  I wonder what the occupancy rate was back then in the following months?  It was a very different time and cruise industry in 2001 but I wonder if sailings got cancelled due to low occupancy?  Does anybody recall?