Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

50 minutes ago, pinkpanther52 said:

Well there is now a free spot on the Iona on the 6th June - single balcony cabin as I have just cancelled!!

With the caveat that this was BEFORE Final Payment I think P & O were very generous. They took my concerns very seriously and were understanding once I explained I did not want to be stuck in Southampton unsure how to get back North and I felt their policy of not refunding if I was denied boarding was very unfair.

They have cancelled my cruise and I can use the deposit to rebook any time up to a year from today for any cruise from two years from today.

Not bad in my opinion.

of course I do really feel for people that are past final payment but I don’t think it was too shabby treatment 

Hi All Looking at the above post can I cancel Iona balcony June20th then rebook same cabin if available. (if things improve later)This will put off my payment till later.May get better price ?

20 minutes ago, Daveuj said:

Hi All Looking at the above post can I cancel Iona balcony June20th then rebook same cabin if available. (if things improve later)This will put off my payment till later.May get better price ?

Yes that is my understanding.

I guess the risk is the price may be higher or the cabin not available!!

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Not sure any cruise line would take out insurance in case an epidemic led to a lot of cancellations, but as Harry keeps telling, I could be wrong.

As a former executive director of a life and general insurance company, I can tell you that you would be surprised what people and companies can and do insure against. But it is often a condition of the insurance that the insured does not disclose that the insurance is in place if this could possibly encourage other parties to take action which would result in a claim, enboldened by the assumption that "their insurance company will pay"

MSC have now joined Viking and others in letting passengers who have paid their balance and are due to travel in March & April to transfer to another cruise within a year... 

I guess March & April next year will be booked up soon... 

Andy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pinkpanther52 said:

Yes that is my understanding.

I guess the risk is the price may be higher or the cabin not available!!

Yes just had a look and the price in cabin close to mine same grade £760 more for 2 so not practical .But can book same cabin in 2021 same week same price I paid.(still not sure what to do)

43 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

MSC have now joined Viking and others in letting passengers who have paid their balance and are due to travel in March & April to transfer to another cruise within a year... 

Andy 

Fingers crossed P&O will join in, though I’m not holding my breath .......

Cruises booked and paid for for March April and the end of May, DH very stressed !! 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

Hi Andy

Would be ever so grateful if you could send me the link detailing this.

Much appreciated

17 minutes ago, alpha whiskey said:

Hi Andy

Would be ever so grateful if you could send me the link detailing this.

Much appreciated

Hi, 

Sorry, can't attach the link but Michelle saw it on fb on the MSC cruise fan page apparently. 

It's still there. 

Andy

22 minutes ago, Canberra forever ! said:

Fingers crossed P&O will join in, though I’m not holding my breath .......

Cruises booked and paid for for March April and the end of May, DH very stressed !! 

We are going in April, but probably would change it if we had the opportunity. 

Andy 

Due to go on Britannia 19 April, have been following forum with interest. Thoughts on whether we go or not have varied day by day, current view was that if it sails we would go. Had upgraded to a suite for hubby birthday, so 2k to lose. Now just read Flybe are due to go belly up so our flights (booked separately) look to be cancelled, at least that will be nearly £500 recovered as paid by credit card. We could drive to Southampton I suppose but selfishly hope that they cancel the cruise.

From the P&O website.

We understand if this situation has led you to think about cancelling your upcoming cruise. Simply call us on 03453 555 111 (local call charges apply) and we can discuss your options. If you booked with a travel agent, they will be able to help.

8 hours ago, Lpppsp said:

Due to go on Britannia 19 April, have been following forum with interest. Thoughts on whether we go or not have varied day by day, current view was that if it sails we would go. Had upgraded to a suite for hubby birthday, so 2k to lose. Now just read Flybe are due to go belly up so our flights (booked separately) look to be cancelled, at least that will be nearly £500 recovered as paid by credit card. We could drive to Southampton I suppose but selfishly hope that they cancel the cruise.

Oh dear.  I think things are going to get a lot worse before they get better.

Tablelamp - I think the credit card gives you some protection and you should get a refund?  It also sounds like a phone call to P&O, as per post #712 above.

Feeling so sorry for all you people with difficult decisions to take right now

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

We are going in April, but probably would change it if we had the opportunity. 

Andy 

Hi Andy....I did mention that I was cancelling the cruise that I am on....same one as you. Still hanging on in there as we decided not to go but at the moment hanging  on in there in the hope that P&O will do the right thing....eventually. I know after dealing with P&O before on various " issues" that they will not be very forth -coming and drag and drag their feet  but one lives in hope.

What we stand to lose is relatively small. If they would let us transfer to the same cruise next April we would do that.....looked at the prices and they are considerably more than what we have paid this year....a few hundred pound more  so would hope that they would allow the same price paid for this year...mmmm.....I am the forever optimist.

On another point.... thought you were getting a black jelly baby suit....I decided on a blue one....now if you were coming along the corridor the other way I would think I was walking into a mirror! 😵

1 hour ago, Tablelamp said:

Paid by credit card but the credit card bill has already been paid. I suppose that money is now lost. Never rains but it pours!

Tablelamp  ,You need to phone the number on the back of your credit card  and ask for a section 75 refund form .

Any payment above £100 the card company are liable to pay the money back to you.

I know it sounds weird but with a credit card ,the card company bought the FlyBe flight for you and as you will not be getting it ,you need to be refunded .

Edited by kalos
  • Like 1

Ok have until 15th March to make my decision,pay £2000.00 balance,move cruise to next year or cancel and lose £100.00.Just not sure.This is a cruise on Iona with a aft balcony looking out over the stern to get a great view of both sides of the fjords in June.

🤔🤔🤔 Cruising on April 20th Is booked and paid for.(68 and type 2 diabetic)

3 minutes ago, Daveuj said:

Ok have until 15th March to make my decision,pay £2000.00 balance,move cruise to next year or cancel and lose £100.00.Just not sure.This is a cruise on Iona with a aft balcony looking out over the stern to get a great view of both sides of the fjords in June.

🤔🤔🤔 Cruising on April 20th Is booked and paid for.(68 and type 2 diabetic)

Assuming you’re on Ventura to Canaries?  We’re on that one. DW is compromised by a low immunity system and only having one lung. I’m guessing we’ll cancel but are going to wait until last minute to see whether PANDO cancel. We were in exactly the same situation a few weeks ago with an Asian Princess cruise which was cancelled and we rushed into booking another once 2 days before the Tenerife outbreak. 

39 minutes ago, staygulf said:

Assuming you’re on Ventura to Canaries?  We’re on that one. DW is compromised by a low immunity system and only having one lung. I’m guessing we’ll cancel but are going to wait until last minute to see whether PANDO cancel. We were in exactly the same situation a few weeks ago with an Asian Princess cruise which was cancelled and we rushed into booking another once 2 days before the Tenerife outbreak. 

Hi on Azure to the med (Portugul & Spain)14 nights but TA requires full payment in 8 days so just over a week and counting .

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Tablelamp  ,You need to phone the number on the back of your credit card  and ask for a section 75 refund form .

Any payment above £100 the card company are liable to pay the money back to you.

I know it sounds weird but with a credit card ,the card company bought the FlyBe flight for you and as you will not be getting it ,you need to be refunded .

a little bit of good news, flight is operated but Blue Islands and they are still OK

• Like 1

We are due to cruise in 2 months time and generally we are healthy & are middle aged. Unless our cruise company cancels the cruise or we were to contract coronvirus prior to this we have no intention of cancelling. There seems to be quite a few people who are cancelling their up and coming cruises so I’m wondering what people’s reasons were for this. I can understand it if you have underlying medical issues or of a certain age but are others who are like us cancelling aswell & for what reasons?

If you have only paid a deposit, then some people are cancelling and losing their deposit.  If, like us, you have fully paid, then we are just waiting.  If we cancel because we just don't like the thought of it we lose a lot of money, so we are planning on going unless all travel is stopped, in which case we would be refunded.