Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

13 hours ago, emam said:

From the P&O website.

We understand if this situation has led you to think about cancelling your upcoming cruise. Simply call us on 03453 555 111 (local call charges apply) and we can discuss your options. If you booked with a travel agent, they will be able to help.

Call and they tell you current cancellation charges apply

51 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Even if P&O allowed us to cancel and book another cruise in a year, we can't as we one more in October this year and 2 more the following year.  Stuck whichever way you look at it.

I wonder if anyone has asked P&O if they can use the cancellation funds annd apply it to an existing future booking?

1 hour ago, Bennybluehat said:

We are due to cruise in 2 months time and generally we are healthy & are middle aged. Unless our cruise company cancels the cruise or we were to contract coronvirus prior to this we have no intention of cancelling. There seems to be quite a few people who are cancelling their up and coming cruises so I’m wondering what people’s reasons were for this. I can understand it if you have underlying medical issues or of a certain age but are others who are like us cancelling aswell & for what reasons?

Over here in the Colonies it's because our news media is sensationalizing the coronavirus and whipping up fear, mostly because it's an election year but also because that's what they do.  They are not even reporting on infections and deaths from the seasonal flu, just anything that they can attach coronavirus to.

We have an extended trip coming up involving planes, trains, buses, and a cruise ship.  We have no plans to cancel, but to take normal precautions like we always do - wash our hands, wash our hands, and wash our hands.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

Call and they tell you current cancellation charges apply

I just asked via Facebook and got the same...

At the point as we have not changed or cancelled any of our cruises, it would be normal terms and conditions for a cancellation. We are monitoring this very closely and working with relevant authorities regarding advice for our ports of call.

10 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I wonder if anyone has asked P&O if they can use the cancellation funds annd apply it to an existing future booking?

I will take a wild guess and say the answer is....No....not a chance... but I have my fingers and toes crossed that someone proves me wrong.

Well I'm in the slightly odd situation of having a P&O cruise booked for July (Aurora Fjords) with final payment due in about 2 weeks. We also have a Viking Alaska cruise booked for August.

Currently I can cancel the Viking cruise with a full refund voucher for any Viking Ocean or river cruise in the next 24 months.

What do I have with P&O - obviously a  chance to transfer our Aurora cruise to 2021 but we already have a cruise booked in May and 2 weddings later that year so the options are very limited. Will sit tight for now and contact our TA as the payment date approaches to see what developments crop up in the interim.

Not minded to cancel or transfer currently as we are both pretty fit mid 70's cruisers. However I do wish P&O would drag itself into the 21st century as far as customer relations goes. Plenty of other cruise lines adjusting their cancellation policies including Holland America (part of Carnival)

Hi Bennybluehat we are due to go in 2 weeks 😮 and have been looking forward to it all winter still going if no enforced changes I am wondering if we will be the only ones on the ship though reading the other CC forums, should be plenty of beds around pool and seats in  the theatre though.

• Haha 1

We are in the "definitely going" brigade,  departing Easter Sunday on Arcadia. No more chance of getting the virus on board than in Tesco.

As for quarantine - not bothered. Will worry about it, "if and when". 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

We are in the "definitely going" brigade,  departing Easter Sunday on Arcadia. No more chance of getting the virus on board than in Tesco.

I am on this one as well. Will have to find alternative transport to Southampton as I was booked with Flybe.😢

When we book it's either select/saver and balcony/outside. Whichever is the better deal at the time. This year's is saver/outside, so we don't have any option but go unless the decision is taken for us. If we cancel at anytime we will lose 100% of the cost. Having said that, even if we had done select we would still go. We did 3 weeks in Malaysia during the bird flu epidemic in the late 90s so we're willing to risk covid19. 

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I am on this one too - will have to find alternative transport to Southampton as I was booked with Flybe.😢

Hi all .Have come to the sad decision that my best choice is to cancel my June 20th cruise on Iona and lose my £100 deposit .Then I can book with another cruise line using my £2000 balance.Not sure but I think that's me done with P&O.Very sad as we have always cruised P&O for the last ten years (up to 2/3 per year).

ILovemygarden,  We fly down to Southampton as well using either Edinburgh or Glasgow Airports and I've just seen something on the internet that Logan Air is going to take over the UK flights, but perhaps not in time for your flight at Easter.  You could get in touch with them perhaps you'll get good news.

22 minutes ago, Ilovemygarden said:

I am on this one too - will have to find alternative transport to Southampton as I was booked with Flybe.😢

We'll be the ones in the Crows Nest after embarkation with a bottle of Prosecco, wearing Marigolds!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Daveuj said:

Hi all .Have come to the sad decision that my best choice is to cancel my June 20th cruise on Iona and lose my £100 deposit .Then I can book with another cruise line using my £2000 balance.Not sure but I think that's me done with P&O.Very sad as we have always cruised P&O for the last ten years (up to 2/3 per year).

There is no easy choices but you have made a choice that is right for you and your family.

I'm sure you will have many more happy and care free cruises in the future who ever you decide to cruise with .

8 minutes ago, July morning said:

ILovemygarden,  We fly down to Southampton as well using either Edinburgh or Glasgow Airports and I've just seen something on the internet that Logan Air is going to take over the UK flights, but perhaps not in time for your flight at Easter.  You could get in touch with them perhaps you'll get good news.

Check the thread Flybe gone belly up. The start date's are on there. Post #12

Edited by Adawn47

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Likewise here.  Funnily enough earlier today OH suggested taking our travel Scrabble set and a couple of my Haynes jigsaws just in case our cruise becomes "prolonged".

We are going to the Canaries on 20th April. No thoughts of cancelling , As a previous poster mentioned by that time you'll be just as likely to contract Corona Virus in Tesco's as you would on a cruise.

Edited by Bobblehat71

4 minutes ago, Bobblehat71 said:

We are going to the Canaries on 20th April. No thoughts of cancelling , As a previous poster mentioned by that time you'll be just as likely to contract Corona Virus in Tesco's as you would on a cruise.

I don't think it's the 'where you contract it' that bothers people, it's where you are when the symptoms show, and the logistics of returning home.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jake 26 said:

I don't think it's the 'where you contract it' that bothers people, it's where you are when the symptoms show, and the logistics of returning home.

Fair point ,

To be honest ,as we've now paid in full , we really haven't got much of a choice unless the cruise is cancelled by P&O or there's a travel ban of some sort. Still looking forward to it though and just keeping our fingers crossed that t all goes ok 🤞

Edited by Bobblehat71