Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
davemorton

Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

Poor performance by P&O drives down the price of Carnival Shares, so the poster is right.

So why is Carnival taking a more relaxed approach to its own cruises and those of Princess and thus driving down its own share price. I think you have missed the point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, staygulf said:

Absolutely. We are in precisely that situation. Due to sail in 42 days fully paid up. But my wife is seriously compromised from only having one lung and a low immune system from chemotherapy. So she is seriously at risk. Is it your view that I should not cancel and seek a refund but instead let her go on a risky cruise. I know what I’m going to do. 

Similar situation here. 

We had to see the doctor for other reasons but asked his advice while there. 

He strongly advised Michelle not to travel as catching Coronavirus with lung conditions is very high risk. 

We can't put our girls at risk, can we... 

Up until then, we were all prepared to go. 

Andy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

I assume (and it can only be an assumption) that each CEO is responsible for their divisions revenue generation and in the case of P&O they feel they can act this way and protect their margin for that division.

 

I actually don’t understand why they are offering less flexibility than other divisions but presume it will have something to do with money. I will stand corrected if anyone has any better insights.

It could, of course, have something to do with protecting directors' bonuses, and riding off the back of the fact that P&O customers are largely British and tend to put up with whatever's thrown at them.

 

Many's the time directors put their own personal situation before the long-term interests of the company, and then bail out just before things go pear-shaped.  Think Tesco for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, staygulf said:

Absolutely. We are in precisely that situation. Due to sail in 42 days fully paid up. But my wife is seriously compromised from only having one lung and a low immune system from chemotherapy. So she is seriously at risk. Is it your view that I should not cancel and seek a refund but instead let her go on a risky cruise. I know what I’m going to do. 

My view if you need to see a doctor for medical reasons than that what there for, but if you just want to see the doctor to get a note to cancel a cruise I do not think not many doctors would be happy with you, but it is only you can make that choice so do what you believe is correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Similar situation here. 

We had to see the doctor for other reasons but asked his advice while there. 

He strongly advised Michelle not to travel as catching Coronavirus with lung conditions is very high risk. 

We can't put our girls at risk, can we... 

Up until then, we were all prepared to go. 

Andy 

Andy you did the right thing in my view you had a genuine reason to see the doctor and asked the question nobody could argue with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have just read online that air condition on the cruise ships could be to blame for the amount of people infected. The use of recycled air was to blame. apparently the filters cant filter out particles smaller than 5.000 nonometers.

Will P&O alter the cancellation policy now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Just out of interest those people who want to see there doctor to get a note for there cruise is that not taking a slot from someone who could be generally ill, i know at my doctors it normally a two week wait.

My husband would put a letter into the surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sheilacarr said:

I have just read online that air condition on the cruise ships could be to blame for the amount of people infected. The use of recycled air was to blame. apparently the filters cant filter out particles smaller than 5.000 nonometers.

Will P&O alter the cancellation policy now.

 

Correct, whereas aircraft filters can filter it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are all worried about our cruises... 

I have just read about a Chinese quarantine hotel collapsing with many trapped... 

Puts it all into perspective really... 

Andy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, staygulf said:

Absolutely. We are in precisely that situation. Due to sail in 42 days fully paid up. But my wife is seriously compromised from only having one lung and a low immune system from chemotherapy. So she is seriously at risk. Is it your view that I should not cancel and seek a refund but instead let her go on a risky cruise. I know what I’m going to do. 

Not trying to be contentious, but is she also self-isolating? Or at least avoiding crowds and supermarkets/shops? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, davemorton said:

Not trying to be contentious, but is she also self-isolating? Or at least avoiding crowds and supermarkets/shops? 

Yes as much as possible. We get food home delivered and there is not much need to go out for the time being. Even avoiding family including grandchildren if they are slightly ill which is a little sad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

You have read the rules wrong the company cannot ask for evidence of illness for the first seven days, after that your required to show evidence of illness a doctor’s note.

Exactly what I said. My point is that getting a doctor’s note doesn’t make you better. It’s not a medical reason for visiting the doctor. It’s purely financial ie you want to get paid or SSP. That’s the point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have just read some of the comments on here about people who are getting Doctor's notes. I am really shocked as it comes across that people are resentful of those who are contacting their GP and questioning them.

 

I think we all need to put ourselves in the shoes of those who have paid in full and are supposed to sail but have medical issues that mean that they are very vulnerable. If it was me I would most certainly want to contact my doctor. Yes health is important but so is about £6000 if you have spent over a year saving for a cruise.

 

Glad we don't have to make a decision .

 

Some people just need to cut others some slack ……...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, staygulf said:

So why is Carnival taking a more relaxed approach to its own cruises and those of Princess and thus driving down its own share price. I think you have missed the point. 

I don’t think I have. Cunard and P&O Cruises are divisions of Carnival plc and have elected to enter the UK tonnage tax regime. For a company to be eligible for the regime, it must be subject to UK corporation tax and, among other matters, operate qualifying ships that are strategically and commercially managed in the UK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Have just read some of the comments on here about people who are getting Doctor's notes. I am really shocked as it comes across that people are resentful of those who are contacting their GP and questioning them.

 

I think we all need to put ourselves in the shoes of those who have paid in full and are supposed to sail but have medical issues that mean that they are very vulnerable. If it was me I would most certainly want to contact my doctor. Yes health is important but so is about £6000 if you have spent over a year saving for a cruise.

 

Glad we don't have to make a decision .

 

Some people just need to cut others some slack ……...

Your right I’m sorry just thinking about the staff who get abused for there being no appointments, I know money is far more important 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

I don’t think I have. Cunard and P&O Cruises are divisions of Carnival plc and have elected to enter the UK tonnage tax regime. For a company to be eligible for the regime, it must be subject to UK corporation tax and, among other matters, operate qualifying ships that are strategically and commercially managed in the UK.

What’s that got to do with anything? As you have said and I have pointed out on numerous occasions in this thread PANDO is merely a trading division of Carnival. If Carnival has affected its own share price,as you say, by its generous refund policy, why would it not do so with PANDO for fear of affecting its share price?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So here's a thought. P&O follow suit and allow customers to cancel up to 48 hours before they sail and they are given a future cruise credit to be used by end 2021. Head office now have a bunch of people who have paid upfront for a cruise they are yet to take. Those cruises available until end 2021 have already been on sale for some time and potentially have limited availability. 

 

Would you, as Chairman of P&O 

 

a) offer new bookings at the same pricing level as already advertised 

or

b) uplift prices for new 2020/21 bookings by let’s say an arbitrary 40%, after all fluid pricing is a well known tool....

 

Hmmm

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite simple, we have 2 cruises booked for 2021 for which we have paid £50 each deposit.  We cancel and then rebook with the FCC.  I am leaving everything with my lovely TA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Quite right Jean and our Doctor was very supportive. 

He advised Michelle not to travel as because of her lung condition she would be very high risk, both of catching it and the effects. 

Andy 

 

In that case you must keep her as safe as possible.

Then when it's all blown over you may be able to get two for the price. 😉😃

You'll have to be quick though as everyone else will be thinking the same thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, staygulf said:

What’s that got to do with anything? As you have said and I have pointed out on numerous occasions in this thread PANDO is merely a trading division of Carnival. If Carnival has affected its own share price,as you say, by its generous refund policy, why would it not do so with PANDO for fear of affecting its share price?

 

Strategically and commercially managed in the UK. Therefore if the UK management team disagree with Princess cancellation policy, they don’t have to follow it. P&O has always taken a firm stance on customer issues and I don’t see it changing anytime soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

I’ve read several apparently reliable sources saying that 9 weeks will see 95% of infections.  I don’t know if the clock is ticking on those 9 weeks yet, or if that would be, say, next week or the week after.

 

If it does pan out like that, it appears that we will have a relatively short, very sharp shock, after which time things may get back to near-normal quite quickly?

 

In cruise terms, if that is the case, far better for cruise companies to keep their friends, to allow rescheduling, possibly to mothball ships for two or three months and to come out, all guns blazing, to a brave new virus-free cruising world mid-year?

 

Here’s an article with the 95% stat

https://www.ft.com/content/e18e6d70-5fc0-11ea-b0ab-339c2307bcd4

 

 

That 9 week theory has got me interested. China has been reporting that the number of infections is slowing down and one area has had no more new cases in the last 2 weeks. Working back from early December when the first Chinese cases were reported to the beginning of March, that's about  9 to10 weeks if my maths is correct. Coincidental?  I hope not.

Avril 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ann141 said:

I think i read somewhere that Carnival is allowing each 'Brand' to make its own decision regarding the policies in place for the Coronavirus.I can understand why Princess are offering more as it is their cruise ships that have been affected.Hopefully P and O will offer similar but they are probably waiting for as long as they feel they need to- not helping those of us cruising next week!

Not only Princess, Carnival cruise line, Holland America and Celebrity are offering better Coronavirus cancellation policies and I am sure there are more.

Edited by majortom10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were going to China next month but now cancelled and refund paid. We would book a P&O cruise if they had the same policy as Princess. There is no reason why the next issues should not be P&O or Celebrity etc. We really need a break but as a moderately aged asthmatic I need some confidence to go or cancel at short notice

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sheilacarr said:

I have just read online that air condition on the cruise ships could be to blame for the amount of people infected. The use of recycled air was to blame. apparently the filters cant filter out particles smaller than 5.000 nonometers.

Will P&O alter the cancellation policy now.

When the Diamond Princess fiasco occurred I mentioned that I thought the air conditioning could be the cause, but there were many other theories  to the contrary. Hmm 😉

Avril 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bazrat said:

Your right I’m sorry just thinking about the staff who get abused for there being no appointments, I know money is far more important 

Surely you don't need a face to face appointment, you can request a telephone one. Your GP should know your health history and be able to make a judgement over the phone as to whether it would be safe for you to go on a cruise in the current climate, and in far less than 10 minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance w/ Steve Dasseos of the TripInsuranceStore.com June 2020
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...