Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

3 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I would say the chances are no less. We are going on the Iona Maiden cruise, so I could take the same view, but the ship will have been swarming with thousands of contractors of multiple nationalities and crew that have been on other ships during the refit or construction. As we know, it only takes one......

I don't disagree Selborne but I am trying to be optimistic. If we can't go then so be it. 

On 2/28/2020 at 1:57 PM, jeanlyon said:

Absolutely agree.  Just asked my insurer.  They do not cover pandemics or epidemics.  My TA or the tour operator (P&O) should refund me if I am turned away.

My husband worked in Marine Insurance. There is underlying insurance by shipping companies for this kind of thing, where customers may have to be turned away due to symptoms of a pandemic virus. The cruise company is liable for refund and has to claim. This is why P and O are not cancelling any cruises yet. I suspect they may have to move to the cancellation policy outlined by Princess ( also a Carnival company) if things get worse; ie allowing customers to cancel without penalty and applying the money to a future cruise credit. I am also sailing on April 12th to the Canaries (just got back from there by air last night and no one's worried) and will not cancel unless P and O do.

1 hour ago, Denarius said:

I am due to sail on Ventura in early April, and have gone on record on this board as still intending to go. I am however, having serious second thoughts. I am  regarded as being at higher risk being in my 70s and taking medication for high blood pressure. 

Surely you can get a letter from your GP to saying unfit to travel?

58 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

There may only be 40 / 50 posters on here but there's word of mouth. We all have families and friends who in turn talk to their families and friends.  I'd been reading CC P&O threads for quite a while before I joined this forum and I'm certain I'm not the only one. 

Avril 

Yes this is just one small group of people discussing the issue, many more will

be reading without contributing. There are also lots of other forums and a strength of feeling that British passengers are being treated badly compared to other pax in the Carnival group.

If people end up taking a large financial hit on this in preference to putting their health at risk how likely are they to book with P&O again? RCI group by comparison are going beyond what they need to and may lose money short term but they are building up goodwill  and passenger loyalty in the longer term.

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

There may only be 40 / 50 posters on here but there's word of mouth. We all have families and friends who in turn talk to their families and friends.  I'd been reading CC P&O threads for quite a while before I joined this forum and I'm certain I'm not the only one. 

Avril 

I read on another forum that less than 5% of visitors actively engage and I should imagine it is similar here.. 

I will let someone else do the maths, my head hurts... 🤕

Andy 

Just now, Tangoqueen said:
33 minutes ago, enjoysummers said:

Surely you can get a letter from your GP to saying unfit to travel?

taken from P&O website. Although It’s ridiculous that the company expects people to take up much needed appointments at GP’s to fulfil their requirements

We understand if this situation has led you to think about cancelling your upcoming cruise. 

If you are concerned about travelling within balance due date due to medical reasons, we are now able to look at transferring your booking, if you can provide a letter from a medical practitioner/Doctor on headed paper which confirms that you are unfit to travel on your cruise.

Simply call us on 03453 555 111 (local call charges apply) and we can discuss your options. If you booked with a travel agent, they will be able to help.

I would still be concerned about getting a letter from my GP stating I was unfit to travel as I could imagine the scenario, when this  episode has all blown over, when insurance companies will start asking "have you ever been declared unfit to travel"  - car insurance asks " similar" questions. 

Very difficult position to be in.

1 hour ago, mrsgoggins said:

We are also on that same cruise but will be cancelling next week due to health issues. On Tuesday (day after tomorrow as I write) we were also fitting in a quick trip to Venice and Lake Garda, flying into Venice with easyJet. We won’t be doing that either! Fortunately I booked penalty-free cancellable car hire and hotels.

If we were 20 years younger and totally fit I wouldn’t be cancelling.

Exactly. But sadly we are not. My concern is that as the situation develops it appears quite likely that those of us over 70 will be advised by the government to avoid crowds, which would rule out cruising. It would be foolish to ignore such advice, but taking it would result in a financial loss which increases the nearer you get to sailing. If P&O were to emulate Princess and state that under such circumstances the non refundable part of the fare would be credited in full to future bookings, I might be inclined to wait and see. But P&O show no inclination to do so, as befits a company which is still advertising short notce bookings on their website with a picture of Florence in Italy.

1 hour ago, Cathygh said:

We are on Azura on April 19th. I have no intention of cancelling atm and I am trying to be optimistic in that as she will be just out of refit the chances of Coronavirus being on the ship should be low. Fingers crossed

Cathy

1 hour ago, staygulf said:

Are you not worried about all the other ramifications?

On the same cruise.  Have considered all the other ramifications and we are currently raring to go.

We're b2b with the following cruise as well.  A little concerned that the Italian ports on that one will probably be dropped.  A few day ago I thought Malta would make a good replacement.  Hey ho, that probably won't happen now.  Probably be a mystery cruise!

Mind you we will be taking extra meds 😲

5 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Just because you are unfit to travel now, doesn't mean you are unfit to travel later?

All depends on the reason for being unfit to travel, and being fit in normal circumstances but not fit whilst Coronavirus is rampant

• Like 1

Well my friend will be getting a letter from her doctor as she has been suffering with viral bronchitis for about 7 weeks and still has fluid on her lungs, so eventually that will get better, but there is no way she can go on a cruise.

My husband is 81 with atrial fib.  He's pretty fit, so I would imagine the only reason would be his age

50 minutes ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

I would still be concerned about getting a letter from my GP stating I was unfit to travel as I could imagine the scenario, when this  episode has all blown over, when insurance companies will start asking "have you ever been declared unfit to travel"  - car insurance asks " similar" questions. 

Very difficult position to be in.

That is a very valid point which insurance companies will be quick to check if you need to make a claim.

26 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Well my friend will be getting a letter from her doctor as she has been suffering with viral bronchitis for about 7 weeks and still has fluid on her lungs, so eventually that will get better, but there is no way she can go on a cruise.

My husband is 81 with atrial fib.  He's pretty fit, so I would imagine the only reason would be his age

Your friend risks Pneumonia and would be well advised to get a doctor's letter.

We took my mam on several cruises in her 80s and she had Angina and high blood pressure.

Edited by Polly1922

4 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Oh boy, just reading about Grand Princess.  Running out of food, can't even get a sandwich.  Got brought spaghetti with a bit of sauce which wasn't even cooked.  running out of drugs.

We had friends on Grand Princess in November and there was a very large number of Chinese passenger's on board with a lot actually living in the US.

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

I read on another forum that less than 5% of visitors actively engage and I should imagine it is similar here.. 

I will let someone else do the maths, my head hurts... 🤕

Andy 

I would agree with you.

I have periodically looked on here for advice but only started posting recently when I posted 3 threads on the RCI site.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

I am happy to look out for me and mine.

However joining another 2500-3000-plus, with some of the people, having maybe disputable, but dubious sanitary and hygienic practices, as  has been reported numerous times on this and other places, could increase the risks to me and mine by 2500-3000 times. Why would I need to play Russian roulette?

Lot of people in the cemetery already, not happy to join them yet.

Maybe we should all carry disposable latex gloves for when we go to the buffet and touching the tongs.

58 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

We are due off on april 26th, but I can just as easily see it being cancelled.

I hope you get away on your cruise Jean,I wouldn't cancel either unless it is P&O cancelling the cruise.

I have been reading a live Allure of the seas thread on RCI boards which is currently doing a TA and there was 1500 passengers who cancelled.

Polly.

I am due to go in August and asked what would happen if I cancelled before the balance due date and was told:

Hi Donna, thanks for your message. Yes, if you cancel your cruise before the balance due date then this can be done at loss of deposit only. However you can transfer your cruise booking, and move the deposit over to another new cruise, which is better than losing it! Unfortunately this cannot be added to any current booking. Please telephone the Customer Contact Centre on 0345 355 5111 (local call charges apply) for further assistance.

8 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Not a bad idea actually.  You took your 80 year old Mum, but would you take her in the middle of this crisis?

Yes she was made of tough stuff.

She was 96 when she passed away.

Edited by Polly1922
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Polly, it's the thought of being offloaded somewhere and quarantined.  I have a job that I love, so that's not funny.  It;s not the virus itself.

Yes the thought of being quarantined like what happened on Diamond Princess would be our nightmare too.