Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

17 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Neither can I, but it's on the ticker on BBC News on breaking news.

He has just been on Sky news live but said nothing new  and now left his side kicks to take questions .

We switched channels now 😒

The ban on travel to the US from many European countries is to be extended to the UK and Ireland following the rise in coronavirus cases there, President Trump appeared to confirm.

He said the measure was "going to be announced".

Earlier US media reported that the move was imminent.

Mixed messages !!

Edited by kalos

Dilemma time - we are booked on our first cruise ever on Iona in July. We've paid the deposit only at the moment, but payment in full is due 12 Feb. We didn't take out travel insurance at the time of booking as usually do this nearer the time of travel, now reading that travel insurance taken out now will NOT cover any issues caused by the "C" word. 

We are a young, heathy family with no underlying health issues and would, at the moment, be happy to go on the cruise if it departs as advertised (especially with the extra £400 OBC provided 😉

To pay or not to pay, that is the question 

If you book a cruise or other holiday you should always take out travel insurance at the time.  If you have no insurance, I would wait.  I don't think you mean 12th Feb?

Actually, how are you going to cruise without insurance?

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 1

Looks like my Disney in May is slowly disappearing out of site. I want to jump ship and change it to sort/Oct but hubby says no wait and see. 

more concerning is that my husbands employers have things to do with planes and We don’t know if this will affect the business. Worrying when we have a new rather expensive house 

cruise I am not worried in the slightest about now. My 5% hope has gone. I am just hoping the money will come back and they won’t just go into admin or something. 

I feel like I could cry. 

I feel awful thinking about money and holidays what we are missing on when obviously the world is going down the toilet but I suppose you only look at what effects you directly first. 

even more depressing. I am sat in a kids play centre with screaming kids(not mine thankfully) for the next two hours

38 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

On a serious note, Italy's cases have just come in.  3400 new cases today and 175 dead.  That is really awful.

And we're on exactly the same trajectory if you compare our figures with Italy's. Talk to any doctor, and they'll tell you that we're already swamped, even now, and that because all the ICU beds are full people aren't able to get treatment - and not just for the effects of Covid-19.

Our death rate is now climbing fast as a result, and the government's failure to act effectively isn't helping. Too little, far too late.

39 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

If you book a cruise or other holiday you should always take out travel insurance at the time.  If you have no insurance, I would wait.  I don't think you mean 12th Feb?

Actually, how are you going to cruise without insurance?

12 April sorry... We'll still be able to get insurance, it just won't cover anything Coronavirus related. Lesson learnt though

4 hours ago, molecrochip said:

I would expect that they will be given a full refund plus the FCC even if they stay on board. In this case a refund is likely legal minimum however, the enhanced FCC is the goodwill gesture which some will prefer. If they do stay on board, it's not the cruise they booked. It's unlikely that there were be any rotation of guest entertainers etc. due to travel restrictions. P&O will be glad just to receive bar money on the trip.

I think I also read that the pax on board were offered the choice to be flown home at P&O's expense.  Personally I would have stayed on board as I suspect that as an individual person you are more likely to catch CV on a plane than on a ship.

2 hours ago, Captain_Morgan said:

I think its also important to consider which ports/countries are still open as opposed to waiting for P&O to make cancellations official.

Off the top of my head, affected ports/countries in the P&O network are:

- Spain (closed)

- Portugal (closed to non Portuguese nationals)

- Italy (closed)

- Malta (open but all arrivals subject to mandatory 14 day quarantine)

- France (open)

- Greece (open)

- Croatia (open)

- UK (open)

- Norway (some ports closed, could be all)

- Caribbean islands (currently open)

Again this is just off the top of my head given its a fluid situation but based on the list I don't see many options available based on current itineraries and when you consider all of the major players are suspending service for at least 30 days and as such there's going to be a vast parking lot of ships in a variety of ports.

Caribbean islands are a mixture.

Barbados is only accepting regular ships. I’ve seem comments to suggest Aruba, Bonaire, Curaçao, Martinique, Great Turk, St Maarten and Amber Cove all closed.

• Like 1

N004 - we received text messages from P&O that it's cancelled but no email yet.

Actually scratch that - I received the email but my wife (who was actually the lead booker) has not received it yet.

Anyway, does anyone know:

1) How long do you have to request the refund - the email doesn't give a deadline and we have not decided what to do yet?

2) If you decide to accept the 125% credit, I guess that means you don't have to do anything right now?

3) If you have paid through an agent, but you then made additional costs booked directly on the P&O website (excursions etc), do you have to contact on both channels to get your money back.

Edited by Javert1969

9 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

To reduce the chance of spreading the virus some doctors are only doing phone consultations, and only if they really need to see a doctor will they be allowed to go to the surgery.

Does seem to be a bit mixed around the country.

My wife and I have our annual COPD test on Tuesday - not cancelled as yet.

Just now, NoFlyGuy said:

Does seem to be a bit mixed around the country.

My wife and I have our annual COPD test on Tuesday - not cancelled as yet.

My wife was called in this morning to make the calls for Monday the rest of the week they will make the calls the day before, most of the surgery’s in our area are following the same procedures 

Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, but am sure it can be moved if needs be.

Have spent weeks worrying about our cruise, fretting and wondering what to do.

Then we saw this and it put our probably cancelled holiday into perspective ----

If you haven't seen this, just give it a few minutes and get your tissues out

• Like 4
  • Haha 1