Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

9 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I don't believe the over 70 advice gets you a full refund from P&O, they only offer a refund as per T&Cs and you get a FCC for the normal cancellation amount., whereas a doctors letter seems to offer the full refund.

"Alternatively, you are also entitled to a full refund. If you are cancelling due to concern over an underlying health condition, your refund will be subject to providing proof of your underlying medical condition."

Hi....I read that as over 70s entitled to a full refund as an alternative to the 125% FCC. There is a full stop after the short sentence ending in full refund. Second sentence applicable to people with under lying health conditions who are under 70

Edited by janny444

1 minute ago, janny444 said:

Alternatively, you are also entitled to a full refund. If you are cancelling due to concern over an underlying health condition, your refund will be subject to providing proof of your underlying medical condition.

Hi....I read that as over 70s entitled to a full refund as an alternative to the 125% FCC. There is a full stop after the short sentence ending in full refund. Second sentence applicable to people with under lying health conditions who are under 70

based on the belief that you are not insured when travelling against FO advice, surely you must be entitled to a refund?

9 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Janny444, can you advise how you managed it please? 

Andy 

Hi Andy....well....seeing as I look only 25 I fluttered my eyelashes....swayed my hips....gave them a wink and hey presto....got mi refund . 😵

If you are asking me seriously under the new terms which they introduced recently and  besides anything else are insurance would be invalid because we would be travelling against government recommendations .

Now they are talking of isolating " us owd folk" for possibly up to 4 months!

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, crompton21 said:

Carnival has a problem with debt (as a result of current events).  If that causes a covenant breach then it would be possible for the shareholders to be wiped out and ownership to change, in which case you would probably be fine.

if it goes into administration because the bond holders choose to let it, then that would be a worst case scenario where the fcc would probably be lost.

U.S. government is talking about providing special loans or tax breaks to travel industry which would include Carnival.  Although given the state of fighting between our two houses of Congress, I have no idea if any of that will be worked out.

7 minutes ago, comcox said:

U.S. government is talking about providing special loans or tax breaks to travel industry which would include Carnival.  Although given the state of fighting between our two houses of Congress, I have no idea if any of that will be worked out.

If i were a taxpayer in America i would find it a hard pill to swallow to think the gov't is giving bail outs to companies that don't pay taxes to the country on the billions of earnings they make each year as a result of being incorporated and/or registered in 'convenient' countries

To comcox, this is showing on P&O website.

If you are not a British national aged 70 and over and do not have a pre-existing health condition but would like to cancel your booking, please find our flexible booking policy below.

If you booked with us and wish to amend your booking, please call us on 0344 338 8636. As we're sure you can appreciate our phone lines are extremely busy at present, so please bear with us whilst we deal with the most imminent departures. If your departure is not within the next 14 days please consider calling us nearer to your departure date. 

Alternatively, please contact your travel agent.

1 hour ago, Gettingwarmer said:

https://www.pocruises.com/travel-health-advisories/flexible-cancellation-policy

see above. Over 70 can get full refund of money 

But only with a medical letter.

Edit, Sorry, Imissed the full stop, it does appear that over 70s can get a full refund.

Edited by terrierjohn

2 hours ago, crompton21 said:

Carnival has a problem with debt (as a result of current events).  If that causes a covenant breach then it would be possible for the shareholders to be wiped out and ownership to change, in which case you would probably be fine.

if it goes into administration because the bond holders choose to let it, then that would be a worst case scenario where the fcc would probably be lost.

I assume the parent company is a US legal entity, in which case they can, if they have a short term cash flow crisis but are long term a viable business,  potentially declare Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. This will potentially allow them to write off some, most or all of their debts depending on what liquid assets they have, and then carry on trading later on.  i.e. everyone would lose any credits they have if this was to happen.

If the economic crisis caused by this gets a lot worse, which it probably will, I wouldn't be surprised if many other countries including the UK pass some kind of law allowing the same i.e. allowing companies to write off all their debts and "start again".

Javert - It seems as though it will be inevitable 

Let’s hope that the structure which arises from these ashes is a kinder, more human, less greedy one.  Vain hope?  We’ll see

Edited by Eddie99
intervening post

Hi

As I posted back on the 4th March we cancelled our cruise with P&O in May to the Canaries due to my wife's health conditions. We had to accept 50% cancellation fee but we have just received a email this is the main part of it.

Mr --------- we were sorry that between 1 February and 11 March 2020 you had to cancel your holiday. As you incurred a cancellation fee we have turned this into a Future Cruise Credit given the current uncertainty surrounding travel, so you can look forward to travelling with us again in the future. Please note that in the event you have multiple bookings and more than one of them is cancelled, then you will receive a Future Cruise Credit for each of the cancelled holidays if you incurred a cancellation fee.

Whether you put it towards one holiday, or multiple, the credit will be applied against your record in the coming weeks. You won’t be able to see this on our website, but it will be automatically applied to any new booking made before the end of December 2021.

Just wondering if anyone else has received a email along these lines from P&O?

39 minutes ago, Aqueous said:

Hi

As I posted back on the 4th March we cancelled our cruise with P&O in May to the Canaries due to my wife's health conditions. We had to accept 50% cancellation fee but we have just received a email this is the main part of it.

Mr --------- we were sorry that between 1 February and 11 March 2020 you had to cancel your holiday. As you incurred a cancellation fee we have turned this into a Future Cruise Credit given the current uncertainty surrounding travel, so you can look forward to travelling with us again in the future. Please note that in the event you have multiple bookings and more than one of them is cancelled, then you will receive a Future Cruise Credit for each of the cancelled holidays if you incurred a cancellation fee.

Whether you put it towards one holiday, or multiple, the credit will be applied against your record in the coming weeks. You won’t be able to see this on our website, but it will be automatically applied to any new booking made before the end of December 2021.

Just wondering if anyone else has received a email along these lines from P&O?

If you cancelled it for health reasons that are not related to the current CV crisis, I guess you lucked out there as you are included in P&Os overall flexible policy.

We cancelled because of the CV which we explained to P&O due to my wife's underlying health issues in fact we asked if we could move our cruise to September/October rather than cancel but they would not let us do that. We had no other choice because we did not want to lose any more money than we had to which in fact was 50%.

10 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes over 70s get a full refund if they want or an FCC.  I was one day too early before Boris said over 70s should not cruise.

Jean if you used your FCC to book a new cruise surely if the worst came to the worst you would then be covered by ABTA like everyone else.