AMAWaterways Covid 19 Cancel Policy

AF-1

pbeach I agree with you.  Will take the FCC and apply it to something next year.  Once the entire travel industry gets back to semi normal operations; will look at booking the cruise and air.  Have a  wonderful day

@notamermaid posted this link in another thread, which I thought would be relevant here too as it explains AMA's policies about refunds, taking care of crew and employees, and hopes for resumption of sailing:

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/europe-could-be-cruising-july-us-big-unknown-amawaterways-schreiner

@JohninAult - I don't have an answer to your question, but it reminded me that I and another Host have asked Cruise Critic management to add a new article on the News page that would detail every cruise line's current policy regarding reimbursements of cruises cancelled by the cruise line [there is already an article tracking policies when customers choose to cancel], but it hasn't happened.  I suspect that it is more complicated than the other policies because [I'm guessing here] different people are getting different results.

Different people are also focused on different aspects of the policies.  Some cruise lines are particularly generous in one area [e.g. FCC at 125%, length of time to use the credit], others in another [cash back], and there are other related issues [final payment as short as 60 days, cancel for any reason (with or without a small fee) – and whether these policies apply to existing bookings or only new ones].  My head is spinning and I've given up trying to figure out which are the most and least generous cruise lines overall...

• Like 1

Here's another question for Ama ... how does all this affect unspecified future cruise bookings (like, you put a deposit down on board your last cruise and had xxx amount of time to book and yyy amount to sail)??

Are they extending those time frames now, as well? I'm not ready to book another cruise or fly again anytime soon.

JohninAult,  my travel agent said I could get my money back and RadioPeri, I would think they would extend your FCC.  All the airlines and hotels are doing it.  I have Hyatt points that were expiring next month; Received email saying the points would be extended another year.  So I think you should be ok

1 minute ago, AF-1 said:

JohninAult,  my travel agent said I could get my money back and RadioPeri, I would think they would extend your FCC.  All the airlines and hotels are doing it.  I have Hyatt points that were expiring next month; Received email saying the points would be extended another year.  So I think you should be ok

My travel agent said I could only get a refund at the end of the two-year FCC period.  Any other refund is based on hardship circumstances, like too old to travel in the future or terminal illness, etc. and is decided on a case by case basis.  I just don't understand how they can completely ignore their passenger contract terms. I thought they were a highly reputable business.

27 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Isn't that the point, though? We've been contacted by virtually ALL of our travel partners where we have loyalty programs, points, reservations, credits, or some such thing -- everyone EXCEPT for Ama. Nothing. Not a word. Not quite confidence inspiring, that's for sure.

1 hour ago, JohninAult said:

My travel agent said I could only get a refund at the end of the two-year FCC period.  Any other refund is based on hardship circumstances, like too old to travel in the future or terminal illness, etc. and is decided on a case by case basis.  I just don't understand how they can completely ignore their passenger contract terms. I thought they were a highly reputable business.

They did give you that hope two years out.  Ponant has clear language in their T&C [both on the day I booked and on the day they cancelled my cruise] that I could have my money back – but now they say No.  Not now, not ever – FCC only and with a short window.  Luckily I was able to use it, but many others are quite outraged.

9 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

They did give you that hope two years out.  Ponant has clear language in their T&C [both on the day I booked and on the day they cancelled my cruise] that I could have my money back – but now they say No.  Not now, not ever – FCC only and with a short window.  Luckily I was able to use it, but many others are quite outraged.

The companies are all trying to conserve cash in order to stay afloat. It is like a run on the bank; if it starts it can't be stopped. So companies are doing whatever they can to conserve cash, so that they can weather this period. Like a bank, they don't have enough cash in hand to pay everyone who has booked right away. If they convince most of them to reschedule, they essentially push off the "payment" of that refund until they need to buy supplies and pay the crew and expenses for the future crew.

If everyone insisted on cash now they would all be bankrupt.

I feel sorry for everyone.  If they do go bankrupt my trip insurance would pay me.  I have hope.  I accepted the FCC of 115% with AMA.  Will look to book something next year.  We shall see;  but I am not going to worry about something I have no control over.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I feel sorry for everyone.  If they do go bankrupt my trip insurance would pay me.  I have hope.  I accepted the FCC of 115% with AMA.  Will look to book something next year.  We shall see;  but I am not going to worry about something I have no control over.  

Good morning...….I had been posting about the status of my refund....I had received a partial...then there was a delay on the rest of it.  As of this morning, the delayed portion has now come through:classic_smile:

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Loris R,  I am glad to hear the rest came in.  Have a Happy Easter

Hi, thanks:classic_smile:......right back at you!...although for me, it would be Passover:classic_wink:

4 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I think that is sound advice AF-1.  According to the recent article, Ama is supposed to be in a very good financial situation as they pay cash for their ships so no big debt there.  While they do have a small number of employees, most of their help is contracted as needed.

I guess I'm okay with the FCC.  The bigger point to me is do I want to do business with people who won't honor their original agreement.

I get it JohninAult;  I can adapt to any change.  So I may not get my money back in cash; I accept FCC;  if the local operator decides to declare bankrupcy; then I go to my travel insurance; which provides for bankrupcy.  One way or the other I have back up plan.  Like I said above;  not losing any sleep over this.  

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody have any experience with their future cruise booking?

We cruised last July. Purchased the future cruise booking benefit (deposit plus 5% off). Booked a cruise for Oct 2020.

So my TA says if we cancel, we lose $200 each deposit. If we rebook, they will transfer funds to new cruise, but the price may be higher.

Either way it sounds like we lose the FCC. I'm not happy about this. We should be able to reuse it on a future cruise.

Anyone have this situation?