Westerdam new Alaska itineraries

JeremyTexas

Since I cannot imagine my Fort Lauderdale to Rome transatlantic actually sailing, I was looking at alternative itineraries.  Lo and behold, there are some dirt cheap Alaska itineraries on the Westerdam starting April 29.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Himself said:

What are the new Itineraries?  I am going in mid June.

Nothing announced yet, Father.  So far delaying the start of the cruise season is recommended by health officials.

Edited by T8NCruise
typo

The three Westerdam Seattle r/t cruises in April are dirt-cheap, with oceanview obstructed for $150 per person for 3 and 4 nights, with no single supplement. Their first Alaska sailing is also cheap (but they'll get you on port fees, now up to $270 or so). These were a last-minute scramble, since the Westerdam canceled all their Asia trips and is evidently doing their transpacific without passengers, so they're occupying time before the Alaska season starts in May. 

The problem (apart from freezing winds and weather likely in April), is that the cruises might not happen. The Port of Seattle just disallowed the first two ship arrivals in April, after Seattle and the state started to forbid any gathering of over 250 people, and it's not likely to get better in a month. The original infected person in Seattle returned from Wuhan through Seatac and spread the virus through group transportation home, so there are a lot of risks before and after a cruise. Even worse, Canada is debating whether to forbid ships from its ports as well, meaning no Victoria stop on Seattle trips to comply with foreign-stop law, and thus no Alaska season. Santa Barbara and Monterey already put a moratorium on cruise ships into effect, so personally I'm not willing to jump on any bargain fares for any Pacific Coastals or Alaska cruises. 

For those who want to see the northwest by sea, riding ferries in BC and WA seems a much better option, and for those who want to cruise to Alaska, your best bet might be the Alaska State Ferry system, which has cabins available and leaves from Bellingham WA (my home) and is small enough to get into the smaller harbors and ports that cruise ships don't visit. 

14 minutes ago, rj42 said:

so personally I'm not willing to jump on any bargain fares for any Pacific Coastals or Alaska cruises. 

I do agree with this comment.  It's too early in this situation to make such a decision.  

My opinion:  the entire 2020 cruise season will see really attractive fares wherever the ships are sailing.  No need to rush a decision to book until there is some "light at the end of the tunnel".

• Like 1