Will Be An Unusual Cruise -- On Riviera Now (clarification added to title)

kitty9

2 hours ago, kitty9 said:

There’s no talk about that at all.  But there is some worry since Princess will be pulling all their ships from service, so some think that there will be a domino effect  causing other lines to do the same.  But as I said, there’s absolutely no talk about cancelling a Riviera cruise. 

Viking (both) and Amawaterways (river) are suspending service as well and cancelling near term sailings. Sailing a near empty ship is also expensive with fuel etc. And not the same experience (but just look at your choice of of pool side loungers 🙂

I think I would find it a little uncomfortable so empty but I am sure you and your fellow pax are much appreciated by the staff being on this sailing with them.

I also appreciate your posting and letting us know how about your experience.

Here’s something I forgot to tell you about.  We’ve been on board during a Code Red on Riviera for a Noro situation, but they didn’t prop open the exterior doors of all the public bathrooms like they do now.  It’s really kind of amusing to see people walk into the wrong bathroom for their gender, but I’ve seen that a couple of times.  There are paper signs on the wall outside each restroom saying “Male” and “Female”, but I guess some people don’t look for it and walk into the wrong restroom.  And gentlemen, (maybe a lady here and there) please finish your business and have everything safely secured before leaving your individual stall.  Don’t really want to play peek-a-boo with your stuff.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, kitty9 said:

Here’s something I forgot to tell you about.  We’ve been on board during a Code Red on Riviera for a Noro situation, but they didn’t prop open the exterior doors of all the public bathrooms like they do now.  It’s really kind of amusing to see people walk into the wrong bathroom for their gender, but I’ve seen that a couple of times.  There are paper signs on the wall outside each restroom saying “Male” and “Female”, but I guess some people don’t look for it and walk into the wrong restroom.  And gentlemen, (maybe a lady here and there) please finish your business and have everything safely secured before leaving your individual stall.  Don’t really want to play peek-a-boo with your stuff.  

They're saying now that the virus lasts 3 hours in the air and days on certain surfaces.  I really think O needs to follow Princess and Viking now.  On O's website they changed the 3/31/20  MIA to BCN transatlantic to end in 

Barcelona (Tarragona)

I posted this exactly as O lists it on their website.  Come on O, Tarragona is about an hour and 20 minutes away from Barcelona.  I have a pre cruise hotel for in Barcelona for my BCN embark port booked through O as I'm sure other people have.  If they change the embark port or disembark port I get a refund on the hotel.  

21 minutes ago, ORV said:

If Spain closed their ports how is Oceania able to dock at Tarragona? 

The cruise in question docks beyond the current ban (which, no doubt, will be extended).

I am sure that cruise will be changed or cancelled.

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

The cruise in question docks beyond the current ban (which, no doubt, will be extended).

I am sure that cruise will be changed or cancelled.

Just curious where do you see the range of the ban in Spain, Paulchili?

On CC page (updated date today) https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5097/  they only say:

"Spain: All cruise ships have been banned from stopping at any of Spain's ports from March 13 until March 26. An exception will be made for passengers disembarking before March 15."

2 minutes ago, YoHoHo said:

Just curious where do you see the range of the ban in Spain, Paulchili?

On CC page (updated date today) https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5097/  they only say:

"Spain: All cruise ships have been banned from stopping at any of Spain's ports from March 13 until March 26. An exception will be made for passengers disembarking before March 15."

Like you say - currently the ban in Spain is from 3/13 to 3/26.

The cruise that was questioned about docking in Tarragona leaves Miami on 3/31- after the current ban expires (wouldn't get to Tarragona till sometime in April):

On O's website they changed the 3/31/20  MIA to BCN transatlantic to end in Tarragona

6 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Like you say - currently the ban in Spain is from 3/13 to 3/26.

The cruise that was questioned about docking in Tarragona leaves Miami on 3/31- after the current ban expires (wouldn't get to Tarragona till sometime in April):

On O's website they changed the 3/31/20  MIA to BCN transatlantic to end in Tarragona

Hmmm. (wiping glasses clean) and reading "...until March 26.

Thanks for correcting me

19 minutes ago, kitty9 said:

Our cruise is being called back to Miami.  We will be back on Sunday.  All Oceania ships are being called back to port. What a giant pain in the ass for everyone.  

You just left Miami 2 days ago - didn’t you?

What compensation are they offering to the passengers?

1 minute ago, Paulchili said:

You just left Miami 2 days ago - didn’t you?

What compensation are they offering to the passengers?

i would imagine a 100% refund and 25% FCC along with the few free days at sea....plus booking home

48 minutes ago, kitty9 said:

Our cruise is being called back to Miami.  We will be back on Sunday.  All Oceania ships are being called back to port. What a giant pain in the ass for everyone.  

So sorry to hear your cruise is terminating, thanks for your posts, very helpful. Get home safe!

• Like 1

Thoughts are with you all on board and now on your way back.  Hopefully this is due to an extreme amount of caution to allow for those foreign passengers to get home as quickly as possible and before the travel bans come into full force or the powers that be initiate more. stringent criteria regarding air travel.

I must admit that I am in shock though.....as I am not sure what the reason for stopping the voyage midway would do?  Unless the NCL corp powers that be are hoping to cut their losses and continue to remain one of the few cruise lines that have NOT had any cases of Covid 19 on board their ships.

My heart goes out to you all.....please keep up posted on the details and how things progress.  

Here’s the scoop from a letter left in our cabins. We arrive back on Monday. We have been offered two choices——-a 100% refund of our fares or a 150% voucher for any cruise to be used before 12/2022.  We have until March 29 to decide what we want to do. 

46 minutes ago, kitty9 said:

Here’s the scoop from a letter left in our cabins. We arrive back on Monday. We have been offered two choices——-a 100% refund of our fares or a 150% voucher for any cruise to be used before 12/2022.  We have until March 29 to decide what we want to do. 

While this is obviously not what you envisioned, under the circumstances it's a fair deal.

You are getting essentially 5 free days on Riviera in addition to refund or FCC.

Hopefully flying home will not be a problem.

Make lemonade out of lemons 🙂

1 hour ago, Highseasquest said:

How many ports did you get to? 

None.  The first two ports were cancelled supposedly because of rough seas.  But now we were thinking that O was preparing for this and that’s why the two stops were cancelled. The seas have NOT been rough at all. 

46 minutes ago, kitty9 said:

None.  The first two ports were cancelled supposedly because of rough seas.  But now we were thinking that O was preparing for this and that’s why the two stops were cancelled. The seas have NOT been rough at all. 

well maybe they knew Trump was going  to stop ships from sailing

You would think they would have cancelled the departure on Wed then 

Seems silly to sail for 2 days  then cancel when they could save fuel etc...

52 minutes ago, kitty9 said:

That’s terrible. They need to refund and give you another cruise. I’m glad we canceled at the last minute. It was our first cruise with them. I’m not sure I will book them in the future besides using our fcc. I think they should refund our money since they ended up going nowhere.

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

well maybe they knew Trump was going  to stop ships from sailing

You would think they would have cancelled the departure on Wed then 

Seems silly to sail for 2 days  then cancel when they could save fuel etc...

Not only that, but there’s a large contingent of cruisers from the U.K..  We spoke to a few of them while playing trivia and they’re having a very hard time finding flights home.  And a number of them are on B2B’s or extending their trips by staying in South Florida.  

Spoke to crew members and they have no idea what will become of them. Some will stay on board for deep cleaning of the ship, but others like wait staff are nervous as to where they will stay or if they will be paid for the one month layoff. I feel so sad for them. 

• Like 2

Just talked to one crew member.  They are sending him home on 3/21.  We didn’t get the letter but asked at Reception and they will send.  We live in Florida, so this is less of a headache for us - our car is at the port.  Most folks taking it all very well.  

But, I’m not sure what this accomplishes. The ship is incredibly clean.  There is much more danger in my local Walmart.

Edited by ricka47