Yikes! Over age 70 passengers need doctor’s note (Merged threads)

helen haywood

I think it's one of those things where something is needed but I'm not sure what!  On every X cruise I've been on, there have been a few people who should not been on a cruise ship.  There just needs to be some common since.  One time a poor old guy collapsed before we even got off the pier and was taken off the ship.  Another time there was an very old woman on a roll around bed type of thing who really didn't even look conscious, but I didn't stare, so I'm not sure what the deal was.  I wasn't on this X cruise but I think, was it last fall, an X ship returned to port twice within two days because of a medical emergency.   On a related topic, with all the stuff going on, I'm thinking the cost of travel/trip insurance is going to go way up and that is age/health determined so that may cause unhealthy people (of any age) to reduce travel so no 'form' will be needed.

18 hours ago, rmalbers said:

I think it's one of those things where something is needed but I'm not sure what!  On every X cruise I've been on, there have been a few people who should not been on a cruise ship.  There just needs to be some common since.  One time a poor old guy collapsed before we even got off the pier and was taken off the ship.  Another time there was an very old woman on a roll around bed type of thing who really didn't even look conscious, but I didn't stare, so I'm not sure what the deal was.  I wasn't on this X cruise but I think, was it last fall, an X ship returned to port twice within two days because of a medical emergency.   On a related topic, with all the stuff going on, I'm thinking the cost of travel/trip insurance is going to go way up and that is age/health determined so that may cause unhealthy people (of any age) to reduce travel so no 'form' will be needed.

Well agree with one point if they look like they are unconscious they shouldn't be there. But on the other hand to be fair, it should include all ages, and there are a lot of underlying conditions young to old across the board, then cruise industry will lose their business. Then you have to ask are they willing to do something like this. Before all the is mess started everyone was traveling together and there were sickness brought on board.  It is a large spectrum, and you have to ask what will the guidelines to come be and will they be fair?  Do they want empty ships?

On 5/4/2020 at 2:29 PM, rmalbers said:

"an X ship returned to port twice within two days because of a medical emergency.  "
We were on the Silhouette on 2020 March 6 S. Carib cruise (last one before shutdown) that left out of Ft Lauderdale but we returned two nights in a row to Miami to put people off when we were about 12 hours out each time.  Before that, when we were still in sight of land about two hours out, we stopped dead in the water and the Coast Guard came alongside with a medic boat and somebody/thing was handed out of the pilot's door. Nothing was explained to us except a Captain's announcement that the situations had "nothing to do with the current worldwide illness. "

We had to miss one of our stops, but were compensated with $500 cash refunds and $500 on board credit. X handled the situation very well IMO regarding the remaining pax.

• 2 weeks later...

This was taken from the 5/26/20 Cruise Critic News item titled "Coronavirus: Updated Cruise Ship Policies and Cancellations"  Scroll to Celebrity and read for yourself.  Someone needs to get the real story.

Celebrity Cruises is following all regulations set forth by CLIA. You can find specifics here.

Celebrity will deny boarding for all guests with one or more severe chronic medical conditions as specified by the U.S. CDC.

Additionally, boarding will be denied to any person age 70 or older, unless the guest provides written verification from a qualified treating physician that certifies the person has no severe, chronic medical condition and is fit to travel.

1 minute ago, kjwent said:

This was taken from the 5/26/20 Cruise Critic News item titled "Coronavirus: Updated Cruise Ship Policies and Cancellations"  Scroll to Celebrity and read for yourself.  Someone needs to get the real story.

Celebrity Cruises is following all regulations set forth by CLIA. You can find specifics here.

Celebrity will deny boarding for all guests with one or more severe chronic medical conditions as specified by the U.S. CDC.

Additionally, boarding will be denied to any person age 70 or older, unless the guest provides written verification from a qualified treating physician that certifies the person has no severe, chronic medical condition and is fit to travel.

They made a statement some time ago that they had dropped the doctors note.

• Thanks 1

Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Now that cruise operations are on hold, Celebrity Cruises is concentrating all efforts on developing a cohesive return to service plan which will include enhanced health and safety protocols for all travelers. We are collaborating with the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA), the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and other government and health officials to assemble new processes and standards for boarding as well as the cruise experience itself. These new processes and protocols are in the final stages of development. Once the full plan has been finalized we will be sure to share with our guests and travel partners. 

Earlier this year we announced travel restrictions for guests with chronic illness as well as a mandatory “Fit To Travel” form for guests 70 years of age and older with critical health conditions. We are now pleased to advise that, while subject to change, CLIA has confirmed these restrictions were lifted in early April after all cruise lines were required to suspend service. 

Rest assured, our number one priority has always been, and will always be, the safety and well-being of our guests and crew along with delivering amazing vacations. We look forward to sailing the world again and welcoming you back onboard soon.

This is from the policy under Celebrity.

This is “the real story” and has been discussed on this board.

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately, the Cruise Critic staff responsible for writing this and other broad-based articles are frequently are out of touch with developments. This article, supposedly updated today, is a month behind in its information. The article on which port are open or closed has similar errors. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Unfortunately, the Cruise Critic staff responsible for writing this and other broad-based articles are frequently are out of touch with developments. This article, supposedly updated today, is a month behind in its information. The article on which port are open or closed has similar errors. 

Yes, yet that does not exonerate many of us from going to the cruise line(s) website to verify the latest info on any point or information given not from their site.

Yes, it can and does happen that often times the cruise lines websites are slow in updating, yet I would still go by that...

bon voyage