Yikes! Over age 70 passengers need doctor’s note (Merged threads)

helen haywood

IMO- I think this makes some sense in this time of turmoil and only for a short period - perhaps reviewed monthly.  On the other hand what person plus-70 who is not healthy would cruise now anyway??

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Read this article.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/03/11/proposal-white-house-cruise-industry-bar-people-70-ships/5020325002/

My husband is 73 and in good health so I guess he could get a note...

Just because your husband is in good health doesn't mean he can get a note.  I went on a routine doctor visit yesterday and was told it would be better not to go on May cruise to Europe.  I just turned 60, in good health, but I have a history of allergies/asthma and some of the medicines that I take could be immune suppressors.  Not good to be on long flights either.

I haven't cancelled my cruise yet since it's 2 months away, but I wouldn't be surprised if anyone over 60 or with chronic condition needs a doctor's note soon.

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

IMO- I think this makes some sense in this time of turmoil and only for a short period - perhaps reviewed monthly.  On the other hand what person plus-70 who is not healthy would cruise now anyway??

I suspect there are many such people on cruise ships right now.  Passengers age 70 plus make up a huge percentage of passengers on many cruises, especially when school is in session.

• Like 4

Agree - but I am thinking about their future and upcoming cruises which would require a doctor's note.  For me personally, if I was not in good health in that age group I would not take the chance right now.  That is just my opinion of course.  

• Like 2

Fine. Just as long as CLIA ensures that it's members are prepared to provide anyone not getting a "go" note from their doctor with a 100% refund to their credit card, no FCC.

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 18

25 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Lots of people out there would give it a go.

Agree that if they are provided with a note saying you should not travel a 100% refund should be given

Two other things in the proposal are to ban travel from Italy - RCL put out notice it was looking at port and destination changes.

And the biggie - a government hearing in Victoria BC starting shortly to close BC ports - Vancouver and Victoria - until a future date. Not clear but sounded like June.  Would reevaluate then.

Edited by az_tchr
Add ITALY AND BC
  • Like 1

Oh, good, because doctors' offices don't have enough sick people that they have to examine healthy people just to cover someone's bases? 

People 70 (or any age) can make their own decisions based on their knowledge of the situation and their health, 

We are in our mid 60s, and have none of the warned-about conditions.If the cruise were to leave today, we would not sail. But we were able to make that decision all on our own.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

So let's be perfectly honest. Given the unknowns on exactly why people over 70 die at a higher rate from COVID-19, no physician can actually give this assurance. Pre-existing conditions make it worse, but there's just enough early information on the nature of the disease process itself to put you in a position of not being able to assess risk.

I'm not a physician, but depending on the language they're looking for, I'd never sign that letter...

• Like 4

Just now, markeb said:

So let's be perfectly honest. Given the unknowns on exactly why people over 70 die at a higher rate from COVID-19, no physician can actually give this assurance. Pre-existing conditions make it worse, but there's just enough early information on the nature of the disease process itself to put you in a position of not being able to assess risk.

I'm not a physician, but depending on the language they're looking for, I'd never sign that letter...

I assume that nearly every doctor would not sign off on that which is exactly what they are hoping for. It’s essentially a ban on a particular group without technically being a ban.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, GRBlizz said:

Oh, good, because doctors' offices don't have enough sick people that they have to examine healthy people just to cover someone's bases? 

People 70 (or any age) can make their own decisions based on their knowledge of the situation and their health, 

We are in our mid 60s, and have none of the warned-about conditions.If the cruise were to leave today, we would not sail. But we were able to make that decision all on our own.

DW already had a doctor appt scheduled next week. When they called to confirm DW asked about cruising. Doc said would send out a note as needed. No need for me to come in.

I am talking about a note NOT to cruise. Agree no doctor would certify anyone to cruise. Our doc said it is backwards.

Edited by az_tchr

9 minutes ago, GRBlizz said:

Doctors in the UK have plenty of time to waste. Perhaps Cruise industry executives should get a Doctor's note to show sanity.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, az_tchr said:

DW already had a doctor appt scheduled next week. When they called to confirm DW asked about cruising. Doc said would send out a note as needed. No need for me to come in.

I am talking about a note NOT to cruise. Agree no doctor would certify anyone to cruise. Our doc said it is backwards.

Sending out a note without examination would not insure that the passenger was really free from infection. Also, you can be examined a week before the cruise and be a carrier when you board. Only a real health check right before you board would possibly be effective. Who pays for the visit to the doctor? Sounds to me like the cruise lines and government are using the bureaucracy to protect themselves from legal action

• Like 4

Seems like the cruise industry is choosing death by a 1000 cuts.  Transmission is the coming issue with COVID, this does nothing to address that.  Total shutdown is coming one way or another,(port shutdown, dock worker shortage, quarantines, etc.) might as well get on with it. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Life Buoy said:

Sending out a note without examination would not insure that the passenger was really free from infection. Also, you can be examined a week before the cruise and be a carrier when you board. Only a real health check right before you board would possibly be effective. Who pays for the visit to the doctor? Sounds to me like the cruise lines and government are using the bureaucracy to protect themselves from legal action

You did not understand my post.  My doctor - whom I visited last week - is willing to provide a note I should NOT cruise.

I agree with others cannot imagine any doc saying you are healthy - at the exam - to cruise.

14 minutes ago, travel1light said:

Seems like the cruise industry is choosing death by a 1000 cuts.  Transmission is the coming issue with COVID, this does nothing to address that.  Total shutdown is coming one way or another,(port shutdown, dock worker shortage, quarantines, etc.) might as well get on with it. 

WHO just declared a pandemic. Transmission is now assumed.

This would be to try to minimize deaths and serious illness, but is asking for an impossible determination.

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

Interesting that it's a proposal FROM the leading cruise trade organization TO the White House.  Sounds to me like the cruise industry doesn't want these folks to cruise, but doesn't want to seem like "the bad guy."

• Like 3

If this becomes a fact, all people over 70 should not get the slip and demand all their money back, in cash, not a fcc. When they booked the cruise and met ALL the conditions needed, and the cruise line took their money, they had a deal. Now they want to change the requirements, that should give the cruiser the right to back out and receive his money back the same way he paid it. If they would lose all the seniors you might see the stock price plummet.

• Like 6

I know it's not exactly the same thing; but this actually doesn't seem entirely different from diving. I went scuba diving on a recent trip and was luckily alerted by a tripadvisor member ahead of time that they require you fill out a health quesntionnare that nearly everyone would get flagged on if they answered honestly. They make a waiver for your doctor to sign before you go and take down with you certifying that are safe to dive regarldess of the health conditions. My doctor was more than happy to sign it and I didn't need an appointment. Just dropped it off and picked it up a few days later.  If this does happen I don't see it being a deterrent for many people. 

I'm also really not sure why this would require an exam. I haven't seen anyone put out that if you have a cold and 70 you are at risk. I've seen if you at 70 and or have underlying health conditions like asthma, copd, diabetes, etc, you are at risk. You regular doctor knows what your underlying health issues are. They don't need to see you to tell you whether or not you are at extra risk.

Edited by sanger727