Yikes! Over age 70 passengers need doctor’s note (Merged threads)

helen haywood

Just now, drakes2 said:

Is this something that a doctor would even sign?  I'm 69 but in great health no meds whatsoever. How long is the signature for? What if a cruise is booked for 2021? 

The doctor has to certify that the patient "does not suffer from any chronic illness (e.g. heart, lung, liver or kidney disease or immunodeficiency status due to HIV/AIDS, cancer or diabetes) which would make this patient susceptible to complications arising after infection with the Novel Coronavirus (2019- nCoV)/COVID-19." That's pretty specific, and a doctor shouldn't have any great difficulty in certifying or not.

But the doctor also has to "attest that this person is fit to sail on a cruise vacation", a far more vague statement. If a doctor knows that you suffer from seasickness, can he attest that you are "fit to sail". What does "fit" mean exactly? 

When does it need to be signed? Who knows, as Celebrity hasn't bothered providing that information in the body of the form or elsewhere to the best of my knowledge.

3 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

The doctor has to certify that the patient "does not suffer from any chronic illness (e.g. heart, lung, liver or kidney disease or immunodeficiency status due to HIV/AIDS, cancer or diabetes) which would make this patient susceptible to complications arising after infection with the Novel Coronavirus (2019- nCoV)/COVID-19." That's pretty specific, and a doctor shouldn't have any great difficulty in certifying or not.

But the doctor also has to "attest that this person is fit to sail on a cruise vacation", a far more vague statement. If a doctor knows that you suffer from seasickness, can he attest that you are "fit to sail". What does "fit" mean exactly? 

When does it need to be signed? Who knows, as Celebrity hasn't bothered providing that information in the body of the form or elsewhere to the best of my knowledge.

I guess what I'm getting at is what if I booked a cruise for 2021 and was a NR deposit and for some reason just prior to sail date doctor says not fit to cruise would I get deposit back or does everyone book refundable deposit. Then there are flights involved also which would have to be refundable.  Maybe this will all be lifted once all is good again but it will be a long time. 

7 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Those are really only examples,  and no one knows what makes you more susceptible and to what degree. Hence the varying responses people were getting from their physicians. Some things are probably more apparent, such as respiratory disease. Others are just unknown. Eventually there will be a useable pattern.

49 minutes ago, markeb said:

The replies on this thread of ranged from "no problem" to "It specifically mentions cancer and you've had skin cancer. Can't sign it."

Since it rapidly became moot, I don't know if there was a time limit, but I'd assume the only value is if there's an exam and signature as close to sailing as possible. If you look at health certificates for traveling with pets (bad example, but it is an example), they're usually good for 10-30 days.

Final Payment is due before 10 to 30 days before sailing. 

If we  are going to apply a Future Cruise Credit, I guess we would do it at final payment time so the timing is off for the Drs note and applying the FCC,

Many drs can relate to Medical Clearance Authorizations for surgery...but Cruising???    They might be more stringent  than scope of the Cruise Form, &  require further tests,,.ekg, blood...

We'll see what happens...X may adjust policy in the future....or agree to cash refund in lieu of the vouchers which would really affect their bottom line so doubtful

We have 2 remaining booked cruises...after that may not be worth the hassles.

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I am over 70 and had booked 4 cruises this year totally over 80 days.  Cruise 1, which was a 30 day voyage, was cancelled by the cruise line.  Cruise 2, in August, will likely be cancelled by yours truly....if it is not cancelled by the cruise line.  Cruise 3 is a 28 day cruise in the fall and might happen.  But it will not need a doctors note from me.  In fact, if the cruise line wants us to take that cruise we might require a doctors note from the cruise line that they are in good financial health and will be welcomed at all the ports.  For some reason the cruise lines have forgotten that we are the customer, and without us there will be no cruise line.  If they insist on putting up obstacles, we will simply go off and do other things.  So let the cruise lines beware.  Do not bite the hand that feeds your piggy bank.

Hank

Amen!  I have 59 nights booked for this year.  I am also over 70 and my traveling companion has underlying issues so can't get a doctor's certificate.  The first B2B2B was already past final payment when everything went to h***.  Waiting to see if those cruises get cancelled so I can get my money back.  Have a B2B to Iceland and Greenland in August.  Final payment has not yet happened.  In spite of our having spent a year and a half planning this cruise, we will be cancelling prior to final payment because there is no assurance that Celebrity would permit us to board even if the cruise takes place.  So FCCs are pretty much worthless to us.  If we can't board, what's the use of booking cruises.  That medical certificate issue is a BIG deal.  And, even if the cruise takes place, there is no assurance that Iceland and/or Greenland would permit the ship to dock there.  The cruise also calls at some Canadian ports.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, hcat said:

We have 2 remaining booked cruises...after that may not be worth the hassles.

We last cruised in 2017. We have enjoyed cruising over the years, but the negatives of the hassle of flying to and from the port, border protection procedures, cutbacks, fare increases, etc. have outpaced the thrill we once felt about cruising. We can enjoy our oceanfront property with fewer negatives, but will likely cruise again. Others cruisers will have to compete for the sailings during our absence.

Edited by OuiOnboard
sp

Agree..med certif  and FCCs  issue is a big deal!  Hope we keep thread up to date on how it unfolds.

I would not say barring someone with measles is wrong.....but a senior with high blood pressure,  a treated diabetic, someone using  C Pap for apnea,  or skin cancer pt...that's half the cruise  pax  these days!  They even offer dialysis on some ships or used to,,.

Edited by hcat
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, OuiOnboard said:

We last cruised in 2017. We have enjoyed cruising over the years, but the negatives of the hassle of flying to and from the port, border protection procedures, cutbacks, fare increases, etc. have outpaced the thrill we once felt about cruising. We can enjoy our oceanfront property with fewer negatives, but will likely cruise again. Others cruisers will have to compete for the sailings during our absence.

We have been thinking same thoughts recently...but EDGE was outstanding and we are  looking forward to cruises from Tampa Fl

We are fortunate to have a place in Fl near the gulf and live on LI NY near the ocean.. We enjoy it all but will  still cruise..just less frequently if we pass the age  test and  med muster! 

5 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I am over 70 and had booked 4 cruises this year totally over 80 days.  Cruise 1, which was a 30 day voyage, was cancelled by the cruise line.  Cruise 2, in August, will likely be cancelled by yours truly....if it is not cancelled by the cruise line.  Cruise 3 is a 28 day cruise in the fall and might happen.  But it will not need a doctors note from me.  In fact, if the cruise line wants us to take that cruise we might require a doctors note from the cruise line that they are in good financial health and will be welcomed at all the ports.  For some reason the cruise lines have forgotten that we are the customer, and without us there will be no cruise line.  If they insist on putting up obstacles, we will simply go off and do other things.  So let the cruise lines beware.  Do not bite the hand that feeds your piggy bank.

Hank

You are SO right!  Everyone forgets all the rules and fees etc. the cruiselines, not to mention the airlines and travel insurance, have.  Obviously this whole situation with the virus stinks.  Bottom line is, what's good for me and my family.  I think the nonsense about over 70 needs a note is crazy.  How about everyone needs a note!  Young heavy people must sign that they will not over eat at the buffet, Pregnant women must not lie about how far along they are just to board a ship, young diabetics, allergies, asthma, the list goes on.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I guess what I'm getting at is what if I booked a cruise for 2021 and was a NR deposit and for some reason just prior to sail date doctor says not fit to cruise would I get deposit back or does everyone book refundable deposit. Then there are flights involved also which would have to be refundable.  Maybe this will all be lifted once all is good again but it will be a long time. 

The problem is that all becomes an additional hassle and a negative factor for cruising.  Sure, I can book 100+ days of cruises for next year, but will not likely bother if I have to get an appointment with my physician, pay over $130 for the visit, have routine blood work, etc. just so I can cruise.  And we would have to do that times 2 for both DW and myself.  At that point we would simply book a flight to Europe, rent or lease a car, and spend a few months enjoying ourselves.  Or perhaps we would fly over to Japan and spend a month using a Jr train pass.  

For us, and many other folks who love to cruise, it is simply one option among several travel options.  We often use TA cruises because we find it more convenient then flying to get to or from Europe.  If the cruise lines want to make this a hassle, then we will not even consider wasting our time jumping through their hoops.  Besides, DW would probably be happier if I told her I had booked flights to Paris and rented an apartment for a month.  When this virus thing is over, the cruise lines will need to scramble to lure back many hesitant cruisers.  Throwing up roadblocks is not going to help their case.

Hank

• Like 5

On 3/15/2020 at 7:05 AM, bubbachief said:

Has anyone over 70 tried to get their doctors ok to travel using the Celebrity form? If so, what was the result?

Reading through this thread from the beginning, there are many who have concluded a Doc wouldn't sign the form.   But from what I read all of those are just guesses, and you can make your own guess as to how accurate they might be. 

Of those who say they actually talked to their Doc, some have received a sign-off, and others have been told it would not be signed because they have a medical condition that puts them at risk.  And, to be fair, there was one Doc that said, in so many words, no one should be taking a cruise right now.   

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Reading through this thread from the beginning, there are many who have concluded a Doc wouldn't sign the form.   But from what I read all of those are just guesses, and you can make your own guess as to how accurate they might be. 

Of those who say they actually talked to their Doc, some have received a sign-off, and others have been told it would not be signed because they have a medical condition that puts them at risk.  And, to be fair, there was one Doc that said, in so many words, no one should be taking a cruise right now.   

And your point is?

17 minutes ago, Barcelona17 said:

And your point is?

I think her point is that the reason for the "over 70" rule is that the coronavirus is more dangerous for that age group. That was a few weeks ago. Now it has become too dangerous for anyone to cruise.

When all this is over, I don't think a note will still be required

Hi interesting thread.

DH and I fall into the over 70 category, take NO medication and consider ourselves fit and healthy. My Zumba class 2 x each week is cancelled due to UK schools closing so I have to find another way to exercise ( I am the oldest in the class)

We all think we are OK but my instructor said last night like her Mum I am not infallible all my body is 71 years old including my lungs which is what this virus seems to attack, so we seniors have to look after ourselves until this monster virus is over

Liz

• Like 2

6 hours ago, babylene said:

I think her point is that the reason for the "over 70" rule is that the coronavirus is more dangerous for that age group. That was a few weeks ago. Now it has become too dangerous for anyone to cruise.

6 hours ago, babylene said:

When I spoke to my Celebrity vacation planner yesterday he said the note required for anyone over 70 is in effect till end of July. 

15 minutes ago, hcat said:

That's good to hear!  

Hope they put it in writing somewhere.

If anyone sees it, please post link.

It won't be in writing until they start cruises again whenever that may be. Apparently put in place during the pandemic. 

8 hours ago, babylene said:

You are correct, Celebrity states that the travel restrictions are in effect for thirty days and will be renewed as needed.

Once the Covid pandemic has wound down, they won't require those notes.

"These temporary safety precautions will remain in place for a projected period of 30 days and will continued to be reviewed daily. Updates will be posted daily on this website"

• Like 1

This is the "new normal" folks.  Get used to it.  Governments and medical professionals believe that this new coronavirus and social distancing and travel "restrictions" will be around for at least 18 months.  And, things will change after that to preclude this occurring again.  NEW NORMAL!

7 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

This is the "new normal" folks.  Get used to it.  Governments and medical professionals believe that this new coronavirus and social distancing and travel "restrictions" will be around for at least 18 months.  And, things will change after that to preclude this occurring again.  NEW NORMAL!

How will precluding this happen?
there may be another wet market virus as other nations do what they want .