Yikes! Over age 70 passengers need doctor’s note (Merged threads)

helen haywood

Cruise lines in general need to get their act together.  Sending out these mixed signals almost weekly is just going to turn people off.  It is highlighting the health risks of cruises and that message is already out there loud and clear. They just need to spend the time getting the ships back up to the extreme sanitary conditions that post Covid 19 travel will require knowing it can come back at any time (actually it will not be totally gone) as well as norovirus. The steps they have outlined in terms of people not helping themselves at buffet etc. are sensible and probably should have been put into place years ago. Social distancing on a mega ship could be very difficult.

7 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Doctor's note requirement for 70+ has been removed!😀

yes that is what I was referring to above the "mixed signals"...first it is over 70 then for anyone...then it is there...then it is not there...all of that is in my estimation a PR disaster. It has gotten to the point with cruises and the media in general (Covid 19) that people over 70 are toxic.   Those same 70 somethings are the bread and butter of most cruise lines and upscale tour operators.

1 minute ago, kathy49 said:

yes that is what I was referring to above the "mixed signals"...first it is over 70 then for anyone...then it is there...then it is not there...all of that is in my estimation a PR disaster. It has gotten to the point with cruises and the media in general (Covid 19) that people over 70 are toxic.   Those same 70 somethings are the bread and butter of most cruise lines and upscale tour operators.

kathy49, To put this in some context the medical form was put in place very early when cruise lines thought they would still be able to cruise with certain precautions.  Before the first cessation of operations in March.  Then the world of cruising (and almost everything else) came to a crashing halt.  Many here have been arguing that the form would definitely go away as it was a temporary and ill-advised stop gap measure.  When cruising resumes finally, there will be new rules and operations and guidance that all cruise lines will be required to follow.  Those will be the only relevant ones IMO.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Then there are all the 70+ cruisers who have FCCs and cannot get their doctors to sign the Fit To Sail form.   Those monies should be refunded since the guest would not be able to sail. 

Now with the swipe of a pen, those 70+ guests can no longer claim a cash refund.they can only get FCC. Again, it's all about the money.  FCC are not cash, can only be used toward another cruise, keeps the cash for RCL/ Celebrity, and often is not used.  Cruise company will keep the money. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Now with the swipe of a pen, those 70+ guests can no longer claim a cash refund.they can only get FCC. Again, it's all about the money.  FCC are not cash, can only be used toward another cruise, keeps the cash for RCL/ Celebrity, and often is not used.  Cruise company will keep the money. 

Surely the  full refund or 125% FCC applies to everyone regardless of age ? Did many not have a choice regardless of the fit note.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, yorky said:

Surely the  full refund or 125% FCC applies to everyone regardless of age ? Did many not have a choice regardless of the fit note.

I think the big question on the  table besides the bookings on the books...w

8 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Redtravel...has  it about right...swipe of a pen now over 70 good to go? Nothing has changed at all for them other than no cash refund. They still have the same medical profiles.  This is crazy.

Somewhat amazing to me that some people still view cruise lines as their BFFs.  They aren't.  They are billion dollar corporations who want to separate you from your money, the more the better for them.  At the moment they are hoarding what money they have using delayed refunds and pushing FCC in lieu of a refund.  The 125 percent FCC is meaningless since future cruise prices will rise to that level or more.  Future cruise schedules are meaningless as the corporations have no idea when they will be incrementally ready to restart and which countries will accept thousands of people who may be asymptomatic carriers.  Ships are scattered to the four winds, some busy taking crew to their home countries.  New ships are being delayed, even the ones nearing completion.  Required maritime dry-docking inspections are being delayed and will require recertification before those ships can restart.  In the meantime these billion dollar corporations have told their reps to "keep selling" and "keep pushing FCC" and don't tell anyone anything other than the corporate line.  Not a pretty picture for them or for those of us who cruise.  What we do know is that "cruising" will not be the same as it was pre-COVID-19.  What exactly that means is something being speculated in the bowls of these corporations - and being kept very close-hold.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

There's absolutely no change. Celebrity had already stated that anyone 70+ unable to get a signed Fit to Sail form would only get FCC, not a refund.

11 hours ago, Content@Sea said:

We are now pleased to advise that, while subject to change, CLIA has confirmed these restrictions were lifted in early April after all cruise lines were required to suspend service. 

(I'm quoting the CLIA announcement posted by Content@Sea.  Not meant as a response to that poster.)

This is a really nonsensical sentence.  The restrictions were lifted after all cruise lines stopped sailing.  !!  That's a fine point!  Thank you for lifting that restriction....at a time that it wouldn't have been able to be implemented anyway.  And, note the "while subject to change" caveat.

I certainly hope the 70+ required doctor's note is a thing of the past never to be resurrected.  I agree that the cruise lines shoot themselves in the foot, especially at such a critical time, if they eliminate a large portion of their customers. 

This was only to address the quoted sentence.  

Edited by helen haywood
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Unless one has travel insurance, then there are options and all is not lost.

bon voyage

What we do know is that "cruising" will not be the same as it was pre-COVID-19.  What exactly that means is something being speculated in the bowls of these corporations - and being kept very close-hold.

When I read that the ‘ Fit to cruise ‘ letter requirement had been taken away, I was slightly angry, as I used it for the basis of our cancellation, as full payment was due tomorrow 1st May.
Then I reflected on the UK Government guide lines, which advise that over 70’s do not cruise, or those with chronic conditions. I come into that category, as I have had a letter from our surgery, advising that I Social Shield for 12 weeks.
It now looks as though I won’t get my refund that I applied for.
However, I will need to know, before I consider booking another cruise, is what the health restrictions imposed by Celebrity will be. Will they allow me to cruise in the future?
  •  
  •  

32C44908-BC81-4522-8921-6401A37388E6.png

Edited by upwarduk

25 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

Redtravel...has  it about right...swipe of a pen now over 70 good to go? Nothing has changed at all for them other than no cash refund. They still have the same medical profiles.  This is crazy.

Actually, what "...is crazy" is not understanding fully the reason this and other policies were put in place and the full gamut and spread...

Yet, it will remain crazy until industry wide policies are in place, for now we can put to rest the Dr.'s note requirement.

Now, there is no way to know if cruise lines will bring it back in a different form or not, yet for now it is a moot point, do you not agree?

In health and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

12 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

I certainly hope the 70+ required doctor's note is a thing of the past never to be resurrected. 

I would suspect they would just change the wording. Implementing the fit to travel note then removing it weeks later and adding it back on again makes no sense.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Yet, it will remain crazy until industry wide policies are in place, for now we can put to rest the Dr.'s note requirement.

I doubt that we'll ever see industry wide policies in place given that not all cruise lines are members of CLIA.  For example, Viking, one of my favourite cruise lines, is not a member of CLIA and never imposed the absurd requirement of a physician's letter for those 70 and over.  Yet Viking was the first cruise line to suspend operations due to COVID-19.  The CLIA cruise lines followed Viking a few days later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

All I’m saying is regarding fcc I don’t see how anything has changed. I agree that everyone should have been offered a refund regardless but I don’t think dropping the fit note has changed what they already have.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, travelordie said:

I doubt that we'll ever see industry wide policies in place given that not all cruise lines are members of CLIA.  For example, Viking, one of my favourite cruise lines, is not a member of CLIA and never imposed the absurd requirement of a physician's letter for those 70 and over.  Yet Viking was the first cruise line to suspend operations due to COVID-19.  The CLIA cruise lines followed Viking a few days later.

Thank you for the example.

Since Viking is only one of a few who do not belong to CLIA, that offer sailings from the U.S., I would advance that most other lines will come into some type of conformance regardless of the few who are not, absurd or not.

I like mavericks.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

12 minutes ago, travelordie said:

I like the look of Viking but sadly I will never be able to afford to sail on one of their ships, YouTube about as close as we will ever get.

Edited by yorky

7 minutes ago, jelayne said:

There are some things to like about Viking but having to pay in full at 12 months, best case 6 months, in advance means we won’t ever give it a try.

I paid for a June 2020 Viking cruise in September, 2019.  Viking cancelled the cruise earlier this month and the full refund is now back in my bank account after less than three weeks.  An Oceania cruise which I had purchased last year was cancelled March 13th, 2020 and I still have not received my refund nor even an indication from my TA or Oceania as to when I'll see the money.   I used to travel exclusively on Oceania, Viking and Azamara but my loyalty to Oceania and Azamara is now on the decline during the pandemic.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Redtravel said:

After all the problems with the cruise ships infected with the virus, there will be many former cruisers.  

You would be surprised at just how many cruisers plan to continue cruising.  Already more people are signed up for more cruises in 2021 than they had signed up for in 2019:

https://www.businessinsider.com/cruise-ship-bookings-are-increasing-for-2021-despite-coronavirus-2020-4

The largest outbreak of COVID-19 was on the Diamond Princess where 712 people were affected.  However, "only" 1.8% of those affected actually died.  This is a relatively low death rate.  To put this number in perspective, the death rate among those infected is currently 7% in the state of New York and 13% in Italy.

Yet another reason why I think the cruise industry survive is the share values of RCL and NCLH, both of which trade on the NYSE.  Both have more than doubled in value since their March 23rd lows. However, I'm somewhat biased having purchased shares of RCL this morning.

• Thanks 1

People are stupid.   Those future bookings may never sail.  I was on a cruise in a March that was caught in the mess. We skipped most ports, most venues on ship were closed, shortages, etc. it was nothing like previous cruises. It will be a long time if ever that I will book another cruise. I never want to be stuck at sea again.  Got some fcc as compensation.  Not sure if I will ever use it.  Buying toilet paper is better than buying cruise stock now.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

There's absolutely no change. Celebrity had already stated that anyone 70+ unable to get a signed Fit to Sail form would only get FCC, not a refund.

You cannot get a fit to sail required certificate. You cannot sail. Cruise line will only insure fcc.  That’s the dumbest thing ever.  We got your money and will not let you sail.  Forget the fcc.  It’s worthless.  What a con. Maybe a lawyer pointed out the faulty reasoning.  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

It will be a long time if ever that I will book another cruise.

You are very much in the minority.  Cruise sales for 2021 are up 40% when compared with cruise sales for 2019.

https://thehill.com/policy/transportation/492047-more-people-are-booking-cruises-for-2021-compared-to-2019-despite

Edited by travelordie
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, travelordie said:

You are very much in the minority.  Cruise sales for 2021 are up 40% when compared with cruise sales for 2019.

https://thehill.com/policy/transportation/492047-more-people-are-booking-cruises-for-2021-compared-to-2019-despite

Of course bookings are up.... people have future cruise credits coming out the ying-yang.  What would be more interesting is the amount of hard cash being put down on new bookings.

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 1