Yikes! Over age 70 passengers need doctor’s note (Merged threads)

helen haywood

Just now, Orator said:

I know that all this is being done for the safety of passangers, but if they are now requiring some passengers based on age to provide proof that they are fit, shouldn't the ships be required to display in a prominant place their health and safety inspections? 

I’m not in my 70s but do have controlled asthma.  I am very fit, probably more so than most on any cruise.  There seems to be some discrimination (age, health) going on here. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Oville said:

I’m not in my 70s but do have controlled asthma.  I am very fit, probably more so than most on any cruise.  There seems to be some discrimination (age, health) going on here. 

I think that is covered here:

Boarding will be denied to any person with a severe, chronic medical condition, including those specified by the CDC. Guests of all ages will be screened prior to boarding, regarding underlying health issues that may prevent them from sailing, i.e. chronic heart, lung, liver, or kidney disease, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, or cancer.

Just now, Scottygirl1 said:

I think that is covered here:

Boarding will be denied to any person with a severe, chronic medical condition, including those specified by the CDC. Guests of all ages will be screened prior to boarding, regarding underlying health issues that may prevent them from sailing, i.e. chronic heart, lung, liver, or kidney disease, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, or cancer.

Odd obesity isn’t included.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, neeko said:

I too have type 2 and controlled by diet and exercise. No drugs . The protocol is for 30 days and will be reviewed at that time. I am wondering if a doctor  writes a note stating that you are healthy enough to take this trip will suffice

But therein lies the rub - the doctor is writing a note of permission for his diabetic patient to travel. Seems like an oxymoron to me if the cruise line has put measures in place that people are going to try to circumvent.

7 minutes ago, Oville said:

Odd obesity isn’t included.

I would imagine that obese people would often be diabetic or have high blood pressure etc.  If they are fit and well then I don't think obesity itself would be a reason.  It might also be a brave doctor to sign off a morbidly obese person as 'fit to travel' under the current situation.

Edited by Scottygirl1

38 minutes ago, az_tchr said:

Hope someone gets an attorney involved.

Cancer is an exclusion. DW had surgery and treatments last year. Our doctor said to verify no cancer it would require an MRI. Really.

Also has have mild asthma. Controlled.

Ok. Will give up sailing for now but want a bloody refund.

Looks like if you ever had cancer your doc would not sign. Same for any respiratory condition whether you take medicine or now. 

Assinine. That is the nicest comment I can make.

Agree it's assinine. Can you provide a list to the exclusions? 

So because we fell into the 100% cancellation category, the only option we really had was the FCC & we booked another cruise in 3/2021 keeping our fingers crossed that Celebrity wouldn't go bankrupt.  My sister is over 70 & has cancer. This means she couldn't go? When we booked the cruise originally we had to give our birthdates & no mention of this restriction.  If this holds, I'll be livid! The whole reason we're cruising together is because of her medical condition. Seems like you should be able to sign a waiver or something .

22 minutes ago, flvol77 said:

Disney Cruise Line just canceled all cruises for two weeks. 

Disney closed all parks

Universal closing all parks 

Cruise lines have to be next?  Don’t they? 

Both Princess and Viking cruises have suspended operations...

1 minute ago, coolptnr said:

Both Princess and Viking cruises have suspended operations...

Yep - (Virgin also) but the three largest, Carnival Corp (overall) Royal and NCL are still sailing. 

Doesn’t shock me, kind of figured the cruise industry overall would be the last to react. 

The email sent out today says All guests who are denied boarding due to these restrictions will receive full compensation.  Has anyone here who booked directly through Celebrity been successful in getting through to their call center to find out for sure what form that compensation will take?   And if there's a process that sure-to-be-denied passengers could take in advance that would generate a refund of payment made?  I know that earlier the option of cancelling and receiving FCC was offered to all passengers, but this wording regarding passengers who would now be denied boarding does not specify the form of compensation. 

2 minutes ago, flvol77 said:

Yep - (Virgin also) but the three largest, Carnival Corp (overall) Royal and NCL are still sailing. 

Doesn’t shock me, kind of figured the cruise industry overall would be the last to react. 

I suspect they are doing everything they can to preserve cash. If people cancel and take future cruise credits (whether they can honor them or not, who knows...FCC are worthless if they go belly up), they can keep the cash. Serves them quite well...whether or not it serves you the riding public is another story.

58 minutes ago, neeko said:

I too have type 2 and controlled by diet and exercise. No drugs . The protocol is for 30 days and will be reviewed at that time. I am wondering if a doctor  writes a note stating that you are healthy enough to take this trip will suffice

24 minutes ago, Langley Cruisers said:

But therein lies the rub - the doctor is writing a note of permission for his diabetic patient to travel. Seems like an oxymoron to me if the cruise line has put measures in place that people are going to try to circumvent.

Additionally, in this day and age of "sue crazy people" I think we might be hard pressed to find a doctor who will write a note stating that someone with a chronic condition (diabetes, heart disease, lung disease, etc.)  is healthy to travel.  Imagine the liability if that person died onboard the cruise.  The doctor could potentially be sued.  

2 minutes ago, coolptnr said:

I suspect they are doing everything they can to preserve cash. If people cancel and take future cruise credits (whether they can honor them or not, who knows...FCC are worthless if they go belly up), they can keep the cash. Serves them quite well...whether or not it serves you the riding public is another story.

Very true - this thing changes hourly, so we could wake up tomorrow and they cancel all cruises. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, flvol77 said:

It's starting to get absurd though. For cruises out of the U.S. most of Europe can't get there now due to the travel ban, people 70+ can't travel without a doctor's note which many doctors will not sign, people with a variety of underlying medical issues can't travel, ports like Seattle have started to deny cruise ships and now we are starting to see places like British Columbia implement 14 day quarantine requirements for any citizens returning from the United States which means we will start seeing Canadians not travel here. Day by day there are fewer and fewer people who are able to travel. I wish the government or the state of Florida would just close the ports or Miami and Fort Lauderdale and force the cruise lines to shut down. I'm sure that will happen eventually once more cases crop up in Florida as more testing is done.

On 3/11/2020 at 1:56 PM, Fouremco said:

Fine. Just as long as CLIA ensures that it's members are prepared to provide anyone not getting a "go" note from their doctor with a 100% refund to their credit card, no FCC.

That's exactly what Norwegian is doing. I guess they don't understand what the "chronic" in chronic illness actually means.

"If you are 70 years of age and older, please bring the completed form with you as you will be required to present the form prior to embarkation. Those who do not present the form will be denied boarding and will be issued a future cruise certificate for the value of their cruise," Katty Byrd, vice president of guest services for Norwegian Cruise Line said in a copy of the email obtained by USA TODAY.

They changed the rules after I made final payment it is most certainly understandable why they changed the rules.if however anyone is forced to cancel or denied boarding they she be reimbursed the same way as they paid and not in a FCC . Now,  I'm a frequent cruiser and most certainly use the credit, but not all are the same.   I see a Future Class Action lawsuit. The central question to me is: Does a FCC make one whole? They are not receiving the cruise they wanted and are forced to take a cruise they they may not want within a timeframe that might not fit their needs. 

I fully understand why Celebrity wants to issue a. FCC and they are victims of a situation they didn't create or want, but fair is fair. 

Edited by Orator
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Orator said:

They changed the rules after I made final payment it is most certainly understandable why they changed the rules.if however anyone is forced to cancel or denied boarding they she be reimbursed the same way as they paid and not in a FCC . Now,  I'm a frequent cruiser and most certainly use the credit, but not all are the same.   I see a Future Class Action lawsuit. The central question to me is: Does a FCC make one whole? They are not receiving the cruise they wanted and are forced to take a cruise they they may not want within a timeframe that might not fit their needs. 

And they also may have to pay more if that future cruise costs more even if it's the same ship, itinerary and cabin category.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

And they also may have to pay more if that future cruise costs more even if it's the same ship, itinerary and cabin category.

Good point. The. FCC may actually get you less than you originally paid. This is especially true if Celebrity raises the price of the same itinerary and I see evidence of that happening.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ontario Cruiser said:

So was this sent by Celebrity or the TA on behalf of the customer. What happens if the doctor won't give a note?

Ontario Cruiser

I have my reservations via a TA and also received e-mail directly from Celebrity. 

I can only suggest that if ones doctor refuses to sign you are unfit to travel and should call and cancel within the 48 hour requirement for a cancellation.   I would call either Celebrity or your agent and find out so you get an official determination.

Celebrity appears to be treating the symptoms rather than the underlying issue with a dr. Note.  Celebrity needs to follow the Princess lead for a 30 - 60 day period.  The ship is only part of the equation. The CLIA/Celebrity fails to take into all ancillary services for most of us to cruise - transportation, hotels, port luggage handlers, port check-in staff and so on.