For those set on going.. is there any breaking point?

7 minutes ago, epanchenko said:

On Joe Rogan's podcast, an infectious disease expert said he believes that the recycled air in cruise ship cabins contributed to the infections on the cruise ships.  His opinion was that the novel coronavirus passes through the air.

There are now tests that indicate that it can exist in the air for up to three hours, so just washing your hands is not enough...

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/487110-tests-indicate-coronavirus-can-survive-in-the-air

Is it less safer than working with the public? I don't know.  It may depend on the air filtration system where you work.

I have a cruise booked for end of April, I am sad I will not go.  Even though I bought travel insurance, it won't cover my missed flights (NY State does not let me buy cancel for any reason insurance, at least that I know of).

Have you checked the insurance through your credit card company.  I'm in the same boat with my flights to Barcelona but the World Mastercard I used didn't have a pandemic exclusion in their policy so they will pay if I can get a note from my Dr. saying I'm not recommended to travel

11 minutes ago, TheSpaver said:

Have you checked the insurance through your credit card company.  I'm in the same boat with my flights to Barcelona but the World Mastercard I used didn't have a pandemic exclusion in their policy so they will pay if I can get a note from my Dr. saying I'm not recommended to travel

I bought it with Amex Platinum (I was excited to get it for its travel benefits recently), it says the policy does not cover biological incidents, which I imagine this would be.  I am waiting to see if the airlines can let me change, I bought the cheapest tickets that are nonrefundable.

Edited by epanchenko

American Airlines just announced they'll let people change their flights just for asking due to the virus concern. Just thought I would put that out there in case being able to reschedule flights helped someone decide.

We are scheduled to leave on a river cruise in the US on the 23rd. As of yesterday the only thing they're offering is we can reschedule but only once. We originally booked during a sale which gave us grats and drink plan included, which would be lost if we rebook. The only option for rescheduling our exact cruise is the first week of September. We picked this time because it will be cooler and this cruise because we wanted to see specific things offered only on this itinerary. They said we can reschedule up to 72 hours before so we haven't finalized plans yet. 

My husband thinks we should go for the following reasons:

We will be in contact with less people on the cruise than we are on the daily at home because of our jobs.

It is probably going to get worse before it gets better and with all this quarantine and blocking flights September may well be worse than it is now.

We are healthy people not in any of high risk groups

We're fully vaccinated. While there is no vaccine for this, it should make us less vulnerable to secondary infections 

Someone has mentioned to me maybe we're awful for so cavalierly going on a cruise to spread disease. I have to admit they have a point. Husband thinks anyone else going on a cruise now surely has made their own risk assessment and included the possibility we or any other passengers on the cruise with them may be carriers at the time of boarding. Personally I think if anyone gets diagnosed with it within 100 miles of us we should assume we might be carriers and reschedule. We are in a very rural backwater where most people don't travel much due to poverty. As of this moment no one in over 500 miles of us has been diagnosed, and the nearest people who've been diagnosed came back from a trip to Asia with it. 

While senior citizens are the most vulnerable to die from this virus- what about young people who might get the sniffles and pass the virus along to seniors, friends or relatives when they arrive home?  I think people should not only think about a cruise or trip they have planned and looked forward to- but the lasting effects it might have on people when they return home.

• Like 5

On 3/11/2020 at 10:44 PM, epanchenko said:

I bought it with Amex Platinum (I was excited to get it for its travel benefits recently), it says the policy does not cover biological incidents, which I imagine this would be.  I am waiting to see if the airlines can let me change, I bought the cheapest tickets that are nonrefundable.

I just got an email from our airline Norwegian Airlines which is a low budget airline to say our April 29 flight is cancelled and to submit for a refund.  When are you due to fly?  

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, TheSpaver said:

I just got an email from our airline Norwegian Airlines which is a low budget airline to say our April 29 flight is cancelled and to submit for a refund.  When are you due to fly?  

April 25th.  I see Orbitz notifications changing details of my flights, I imagine the airlines will be cancelling some flights...

18 minutes ago, epanchenko said:

April 25th.  I see Orbitz notifications changing details of my flights, I imagine the airlines will be cancelling some flights...

I'm sure you're good.  Shouldn't have to fight with the cc company 🙂

Help to Flatten the curve postpone the trip.  In addition there may be some evidence indicating that these ships are like incubators, people so close together.  Think about it they are banning sporting events, even outside marathons.  Stay away from crowds, flatten the curve be the solution not the problem.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...