Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
carlacruz

Some people 70+ should be barred from boarding cruise ships, industry proposal says

Recommended Posts

Looks like they would want as many passengers as possible now instead of turning some away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am 73 and I think I think it is a great idea.  I am 73 young!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gran1 said:

I am 73 and I think I think it is a great idea.  I am 73 young!

I feel like this is a good call. Those who are healthy and in good shape will have no issue getting a Dr to sign off on their health. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bahacca said:

I feel like this is a good call. Those who are healthy and in good shape will have no issue getting a Dr to sign off on their health. 

I completely disagree. I don't think you'd find a doctor in the US right now who would take on the liability of writing a note saying someone in the "at risk" age group is "fit" to go on a cruise. Even if they believe it, with the State Department warning, WHO Pandemic declaration, etc. they are setting themselves up for a liability nightmare if the person got sick and, heaven forbid, died after writing such a note.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sunprairie1979 said:

I completely disagree. I don't think you'd find a doctor in the US right now who would take on the liability of writing a note saying someone in the "at risk" age group is "fit" to go on a cruise. Even if they believe it, with the State Department warning, WHO Pandemic declaration, etc. they are setting themselves up for a liability nightmare if the person got sick and, heaven forbid, died after writing such a note.

I agree the liability will be staggering.  What are the cruise lines getting from the government for the loss of potential revenue I wonder?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its odd they are singling out the cruise industry.  I am way closer to people on planes than on a cruise but I haven't seen anything stating you have to take your temp before check in at airport, I also haven't seen anything about all inclusive resorts that have massive crowds either.  Maybe it's the quarantine possibility on a cruise but I sure hope measures are being taken in other travel sectors!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, sunprairie1979 said:

I completely disagree. I don't think you'd find a doctor in the US right now who would take on the liability of writing a note saying someone in the "at risk" age group is "fit" to go on a cruise. Even if they believe it, with the State Department warning, WHO Pandemic declaration, etc. they are setting themselves up for a liability nightmare if the person got sick and, heaven forbid, died after writing such a note.

You make a strong argument. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mom and Dad will not be joining us on our June 7th cruise on the Horizon because his Dr. recommended that he not go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like others have said, I think it's difficult to just assign an age for this. Maybe everyone should get doctor's clearance before they cruise!? My 71 & 72 year old parents are on their way back from a 3 week Viking ocean cruise (and the Amazon) and had a blast! I'm pretty sure this restriction would almost destroy that line!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is this would cripple the cruise industry and probably put Holland America out of business given their guest demographic.  We are 70+ and as we look around the Carnival ships we sail on many others are in our age group.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, do ppl think they would be safer on a cruise knowing that there are no older ppl on board with them?

 

I think that anyone 70 or older can decide for themselves and it won't impact anybody else one bit. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are not cruising right now because we are in ill health [oh, and we haven't saved enough money yet either] If I were younger and healthier I would be going crazy cruising, for one because there are so many last minute deals, and also because I would want to help support carnival cruiseline. If I were younger and cruising, I would definitely make sure I booked a balcony so that I could still enjoy myself if quarantined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Radiioman46 said:

So, do ppl think they would be safer on a cruise knowing that there are no older ppl on board with them?

 

I think that anyone 70 or older can decide for themselves and it won't impact anybody else one bit. 

 

 

I'm not sure about that. Having to care for sick people does put a strain on the cruise ships. And if those over 70 are getting it at a higher rate and get muck sicker, that could pose a problem. It really sucks. I'm not young any more.

 

There have been a few times where it is reversed. Some older people have immunity to things because they had it or something that looks very similar to the body before, where as younger people have not developed an immunity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, amyotravel said:

I'm not sure about that. Having to care for sick people does put a strain on the cruise ships. And if those over 70 are getting it at a higher rate and get muck sicker, that could pose a problem. It really sucks. I'm not young any more.

 

There have been a few times where it is reversed. Some older people have immunity to things because they had it or something that looks very similar to the body before, where as younger people have not developed an immunity.

If it takes 14 days for the symptoms to be revealed, it would only make sense to deny 70+ persons on cruises that are greater than 14 days.

 

Has it been shown that those over 70 are more likely to become infected? Or, those over 70 are more likely to become carriers?

 

Edited by Radiioman46

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Radiioman46 said:

If it takes 14 days for the symptoms to be revealed, it would only make sense to deny 70+ persons on cruises that are greater than 14 days.

 

Has it been shown that those over 70 are more likely to become infected? How is that?

 

No. They could have it when they get on but they don't know it yet. Then, they can get really sick after getting on. Not arguing for or against the restrictions, just that this is one possible thing that could very likely happen.

 

Has it been shown that those over 70 are more likely to become infected? Actually, I'm sorry I phrased it that way because we don't know with certainty. Just that over 70 are getting sick more so are tested more and have more confirmed cases as of now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, amyotravel said:

No. They could have it when they get on but they don't know it yet. Then, they can get really sick after getting on.

But that's the same for everybody. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GLCM GUY said:

My guess is this would cripple the cruise industry and probably put Holland America out of business given their guest demographic.  We are 70+ and as we look around the Carnival ships we sail on many others are in our age group.

 

I'm not sure the average age on Princess is that much younger than HAL.  Every Princess cruise I've been on had 50's and 60's music nights, those events are not targeted to GenX.    

 

BTW, 80% of the passengers on Diamond Princess were 60+  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Radiioman46 said:

But that's the same for everybody. 

I know. You are right that anyone regardless could have it and be communicable. But you are missing the underlying finer point. It's much easier for a cruise line to deal with an outbreak where most of the passengers have mild symptoms. The burden is far greater when passengers develop critical symptoms and are not near full medical facilities.

 

So, let's just agree to put this to bed for today. Tomorrow is another day. And the advice may full well change soon. Soon it may be more widespread restrictions or no cruises at all. Just hope it doesn't come to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, jdemps said:

Its odd they are singling out the cruise industry.  

 

It is the Cruise Lines International Association that made the proposal...  they are singling out themselves!  They don't want people over 70 with health issue to cruise because if one dies, it affect that ship and other passengers for that ship for months.  And maybe other ships too if they move the crew around.   They can't come out and say it so they propose to the government to do the work.   That's just my guess.

Edited by lostchild

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, amyotravel said:

I know. You are right that anyone regardless could have it and be communicable. But you are missing the underlying finer point. It's much easier for a cruise line to deal with an outbreak where most of the passengers have mild symptoms. The burden is far greater when passengers develop critical symptoms and are not near full medical facilities.

 

So, let's just agree to put this to bed for today. Tomorrow is another day. And the advice may full well change soon. Soon it may be more widespread restrictions or no cruises at all. Just hope it doesn't come to that.

 

excellent idea, veering off topic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a money grab by the cruise lines...they know that the medical profession will not want the liability to sign a release.  They already have the money in their pockets from the 70+ crowd ...and only have to give them a hokey FCC that is pretty much worthless.

 

if the cruise industry wants to ban 70+ year old people from their ships...just give them a full refund of the money they paid to go on the cruise and stick their FCC up their stern. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Boatsie said:

This is a money grab by the cruise lines...they know that the medical profession will not want the liability to sign a release.  They already have the money in their pockets from the 70+ crowd ...and only have to give them a hokey FCC that is pretty much worthless.

 

if the cruise industry wants to ban 70+ year old people from their ships...just give them a full refund of the money they paid to go on the cruise and stick their FCC up their stern. 

Yep.  We are planning to cancel tomorrow...including my 70+ parents, one of whom has underlying health issues.  If they want to put this policy in place, then they had better be willing to give my parents their money back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jat1977 said:

Yep.  We are planning to cancel tomorrow...including my 70+ parents, one of whom has underlying health issues.  If they want to put this policy in place, then they had better be willing to give my parents their money back. 

 

NCL is already putting in into practice 87456077_10218093579143937_5820794379689

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Boatsie said:

This is a money grab by the cruise lines...they know that the medical profession will not want the liability to sign a release.  They already have the money in their pockets from the 70+ crowd ...and only have to give them a hokey FCC that is pretty much worthless.

 

if the cruise industry wants to ban 70+ year old people from their ships...just give them a full refund of the money they paid to go on the cruise and stick their FCC up their stern. 

You my friend have no clue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...