Cruise Critic Community
Sandra1616

Size of Carry on Luggage?

Hi there

Is there a carry on luggage size, that all cruise lines accept?  Do you know from when you last travelled or looked it up what size carry on luggage your cruise line allow you to carry on?  Twenty inch spinners appear small for a cruise lasting about 7 days.  Some luggage out there seems very expensive and some dirt cheap.  Are people going to notice or care if my luggage, if it is or isn't designer luggage?  Thanks, Sandra

How do you pack for 7 days of dressing for mostly casual cruising activities with other people and meeting new people in the Caribbean without over packing or not packing enough?  

Cruise lines don't care what size your luggage is, as long as it meets weight restrictions (I think it's 70 pounds each). If it will fit through an airport style security scanner, you can carry it onto the ship. If it won't fit, then check it in with the ship terminal luggage handlers for delivery to your cabin. And nobody but you cares what brand your luggage is. If you are flying to your embarkation port, then you are limited in your carry on size by that airline's carry on policy. If it's too big, then check it.

Make a list of what you are likely to want to wear each day and each evening. Evening wear can usually be worn more than once, and nobody will notice or care if you've with it before. If it won't all fit into a carry on size bag, then get a bigger bag and pay to check it at the airport. Considering what a cruise costs, the extra baggage fee is a pittance.

Sandra: breathe out. Slowly.
It's not nearly as serious as you may think.
As for carry-on size baggage, the airlines are the critical factor here, not the cruise lines. The cruise lines will let you take as much luggage into your cabin (as long as each piece is liftable!) as you like, just as "Mom Says" has written.
Make a list of what you need to take to get an idea of the baggage you'll need.
And no, no-one's going to bat an eyelid about your luggage.
Enjoy yourself. It's a vacation.

Cruise lines would prefer that your checked baggage not weigh more than 50 pounds, to save the backs of the baggage handlers.  That's the only requirement.  As far as a 20" carryon, it is fine for me for at least 14 days.  I do a lot of mix and match and do or send out laundry.  EM

Out of the 3,000 passengers on board there is probably one couple judging the logos on other people's luggage.

Don't worry, no one really likes them.  😀😀😀 

I am just  fine with a 23 kg checked in luggage and a 8-12 kg carry on.The cruise lines don't mind the size of your luggae,but airlines do. So, hopefully you are driving to port if you have supersized luggage 🙂

On 3/11/2020 at 2:24 PM, Sandra1616 said:

Hi there

Is there a carry on luggage size, that all cruise lines accept?  Do you know from when you last travelled or looked it up what size carry on luggage your cruise line allow you to carry on?  Twenty inch spinners appear small for a cruise lasting about 7 days.  Some luggage out there seems very expensive and some dirt cheap.  Are people going to notice or care if my luggage, if it is or isn't designer luggage?  Thanks, Sandra

How do you pack for 7 days of dressing for mostly casual cruising activities with other people and meeting new people in the Caribbean without over packing or not packing enough?  

You can bring more then just what you can fit into your carry on flight restrictions ( one roller board and one personal item ).

As to whether one can live with one roller board and one personal item, in warm weather one weeks, my whole family of 5 including two ladies easily did it with their extra shoes and formal wear, easy, be very organized and systematic and you can do it.

As to does the cruise have a limit?  How big is your cabin.   I've seen some people bring carry on spinner, personal item, and 1 medium and/or a large luggage.  Not sure what they are bring but the luggage is loaded and dropped by the line. Never seen them weight it, it's a ship.   

As to what you can carry on, they have similar x-ray as airlines, spinner's /roller boards fit, medium sized nope.

For warm weather if you can live out of two carry-on's you are taking too much, LOL

No body cares what brand you carry on, nor what underwear brand you wear either 🙂

Airline regulations differ between airlines. To carry on some airlines are 17" - including wheels. Others are 19". Larger and you simply pay a few dollars and check. Some economy tickets allow only a purse - no carryon pieces.

The cruise company does not care as long as it fits in you cabin. Assisted a friend with about 50 large boxes on a TA. They filled one wall. He and his wife were moving clothes, kitchen goods, lamps etc. to outfit their home in Italy!

If trying to carry on go to your airline's website. They can tell you.

FWIW DW and I usually travel with 1 suitcase and a carryon.

Posted (edited)
On 3/11/2020 at 5:00 PM, mom says said:

Cruise lines don't care what size your luggage is, as long as it meets weight restrictions (I think it's 70 pounds each). If it will fit through an airport style security scanner, you can carry it onto the ship. If it won't fit, then check it in with the ship terminal luggage handlers for delivery to your cabin. And nobody but you cares what brand your luggage is. If you are flying to your embarkation port, then you are limited in your carry on size by that airline's carry on policy. If it's too big, then check it.

Make a list of what you are likely to want to wear each day and each evening. Evening wear can usually be worn more than once, and nobody will notice or care if you've with it before. If it won't all fit into a carry on size bag, then get a bigger bag and pay to check it at the airport. Considering what a cruise costs, the extra baggage fee is a pittance.

Nobody cares what brand or what shape your luggage is in. One thing I would recommend is to put something on your luggage, such as a bright piece of cloth to identify your luggage when looking for it on debarkation day. There are so many that look alike. Buy a good quality bag. The luggage gets a rough handling everywhere it goes.

Edited by skrufy
Addition

Not ONE person is looking at your luggage....honestly, most folks have NO idea what kind of suitcase it might be.  You could bring everything in a trash bag, if you want to!  Or a gym bag....backpacks....doesn't really matter!

I typically carry on an over sized bag with things I don't want left in my luggage at curbside check in.  DH carries a back pack.  

We are going to use backpacks. We can fit at least 1-day of clothes in, camera, travel documents, and prescriptions. The plan is to have 4 suitcases for 3 of us. I would prefer only 1 each, but I am not OK with packing formal wear in with the rest of the stuff. Personally, I don't have many formal things, but when I do buy them they are expensive to me. So, they are well cared for. I figure 2 dresses each for wife and daughter, suit and 2 shirts for me, plus those shoes in the garment bag. All our other stuff in our individual suitcases.

Posted (edited)

Sandra1616: I have gone on three cruises ONLY using carry-on luggage. It CAN be done! Do some research and google sites on how to pack efficiently. These are some of my tips:

1. Don't try to wear a different dress every night. I'll re-wear the same dress a couple of times on a cruise. I also have two reversible dresses. Think different jewelry/scarves to change the look.

2. Try different ways of packing. Sometimes a combination of rolling and folding can work better than all rolling, just depends on your clothes. 

3. Don't try to take full size toiletries. I can go 10 days easily with a small toothpaste. Same with shampoo. And...there is bar shampoo out there which is pretty good. No need to put in your 3-1-1 bag. Take bar soap. I don't bring a lot of makeup either. 

4. Shoes: I usually bring one pair of dressy shoes for evening, casual comfortable sandals daytime, and a water shoe/Merrill type for excursions. I wear my running shoes as they are the bulkiest. I workout on the cruise so need my running shoes! But that's it.

5. Coordinate everything! I bring clothes that I can mix and match for different looks. My dress shoes are usually gold colored and go with all my dresses. 

It really is easy. I don't like the stress of wondering if my bags will get lost, or having to wait for my bags. I don't need to wait in line to check in at the airport either, just go straight to security. 

Hope this helps!

Edited by Janie1229

Nobody will care about the brand of your luggage.

Very important : Don't over pack! Sometimes I do tend to over pack and never even wear few of the items I bring along. Make a list of things you want to wear and have worn, don't buy new clothes for the cruise. If it's all casual even better. No formal dresses or high heels, if it's summer-no boots, jackets,coats and scarves, if it's summer few dresses, shorts, flip  flops, sandals, tank tops. That's all! 🙂

In regards to brand of luggage, no one cares.  I, personally, like the "Buick" of luggage.  Something sturdy, zips well, and can handle bumps and roughness.  Also, you never know what the weather will be like so your bag could get soaked in the process.  Rolling duffel bags are great because they fold down and can be stored under the bed.

Take what you want, but I wouldn't pack for 14 days if you are going for 7.  And if you want to over pack so you have options, go for it.  I have done both and regretted both.  It is definitely a personal choice.