Why do Cruise Prices decrease so often?

Hi there,

I very quickly noticed there are many cruises to everywhere and  noticed very quickly there are always promotions, sales and drops (often big decreases) in prices of these cruises.  What is the reason behind cruises prices continually decreasing?  It looks like the decreases are due to more than friendly competion. Is there a best time to purchase a cruise?  Also, why are customers encouraged to go through travel agents, when they may purchase from the cruise line itself?  Thanks, Sandra

A lot of factors at work here. Every cruise line has it's own method for filling their ships. I've always found that once I've selected a cruise the price does nothing but go up. Carnival has its Early Saver program that allows you to receive any price drops up to 2 days prior to a cruise (terms and conditions of course apply). I just filed my first claim and received $38 off our cruise price. Best time to purchase a cruise will vary. For us it's about a year/year and a half away from sailing. Others wait until a month or two before a cruise to book. Best thing to do is when you see a price you are willing to pay for a cruise you want to take book it. Some TA's provide perks for booking with them and the more you spend on a cruise the better the perks can be. I've always booked directly with the cruise line and there was no suggestion that I book elsewhere.

• Haha 1

While there are often promotions and sales, they don't often significantly change the overall price - it is just different wrapping on the same package.

We are in very different times right now with the pandemic, so I wouldn't book a cruise until the situation is settled.

Customers can book through the line itself, and many prefer to do so.  An agent because of the volume they deal with can often offer on board credit or other perks.  They also generally have more knowledge about traveling and can answer questions and guide those who would like additional information in making their choices.

You have not seen the deal I just saw:  free air plus  free bar, speciality dining, beverages, bar,excursions, WiFi and kids plus 200 on board credit with their peace of mind insurance.  Sorry you are wrong.

I'm assuming "you are wrong" is directed at me.  I don't know which line has the deal you just saw (since as you stated I haven't seen it), but I often see free offers with inflated cruise fares. 

It certainly is possible that with the current crisis the fare is low also but I still can't see this being the best time to book a cruise if the ports are closed (Baltimore closed yesterday, I expect more to follow), some lines canceling sailings, and uncertainty of ports of call and how/when we would get back home.  If you feel the deal is worth the risks though, you do you.

16 hours ago, Sandra1616 said:

You have not seen the deal I just saw:  free air plus  free bar, speciality dining, beverages, bar,excursions, WiFi and kids plus 200 on board credit with their peace of mind insurance.  Sorry you are wrong.

I have seen the sale you saw!!! Now... to explain why PACruise isn't actually wrong! 

Actually, in truth if you look deeper into the prices and NOT just at the what the deal says, you would find that you are generally wrong. I assume this is NCL you are talking about. Now... it sounds good, until you do the final price.

Air really isn't "free" unless you are flying to/from very specific airports. Then it goes up from $99+ pp from there and it is only good for 2 people.

Bar/Dining have the service charge then added to your cruise, $400 and again, only good for 2 people. So if you use the KSF and take them to eat, it costs you. Or if they want something that isn't water/juice it is going to cost you. 

Excursion is $50 per port.. so you still have to spend $ to actually USE this perk. 

The kids you still have to pay port taxes on so not really free, especially as 3/4th person rates are normally really really low compared to the 1st & 2nd fare. A good example is the cruise we have booked for 2, I got them to match the 1st & 2nd person rate in a 3 person room. It was the only one of the rooms available at the time so I thought I would try. As that class is only being sold for 3 people as it opened up again I keep checking that. For a 12 day cruise, the 3rd passenger fair is only $220 but taxes are about $280. 

The only real free is the Wifi and the $200 OBC which may offset some of the "cost" of the perks but not much. 

Also as a note.. NCL has had basically all those offers for the past 5+ years on an on-going basis. The kids said free & airfare cycle in and out though. 

I make spread sheets for cruises I am looking at and watch prices. A good example was a RCCL sale that seemed really really good once! 2nd passenger 50% off! Thought hey... you know what? This might be the time to finally not put 4 of us in a room! Priced for 2 people in 2 rooms, priced for 4 people in 1 room. The price difference was close to $2000 with their "50%" off sale for 2 rooms vs 1 room. So it wasn't really a sale at all.  

Another good example when we sailed on NCL we booked BEFORE they started adding gratuities to the free bar. A bunch of sales happened between when we booked and sailed. At no point, did even things like $250 OBC + 3 specialty dinners for 2 added on even make up the difference in price we would have had to pay vs booking them ourselves when these "sales" started. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Aside from the virus, sometimes its simply supply and demand that can see prices drop.

We often book late and have got some amazing deals, just need to be flexible and have a plan B.

And of course the later you book, you are more likely to pay more for the airfare.

On 3/13/2020 at 12:51 PM, Sandra1616 said:

what cruise line?

What itinerary  & dates ?

They give you kids in the deal ?? 😲

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2020 at 4:39 PM, Sandra1616 said:

Hi there,

I very quickly noticed there are many cruises to everywhere and  noticed very quickly there are always promotions, sales and drops (often big decreases) in prices of these cruises.  What is the reason behind cruises prices continually decreasing?  It looks like the decreases are due to more than friendly competion. Is there a best time to purchase a cruise?  Also, why are customers encouraged to go through travel agents, when they may purchase from the cruise line itself?  Thanks, Sandra

We've found the best time to book is as soon as the cruises are released for booking.  We are picky about cabins and locations so we don't wish to wait till after final payment because the best cabins will be booked.  We do not book non-refundable so we can always refare if the price is decreased.  Best of both worlds for us.  We wouldn't think of booking directly with the cruise lines.  We have a favorite agent who discounts all cruises by at least 8%.  We use a cash-back card for payments that gives back 3% of the cruise fare.  All in all, we get a minimum of 11% in discounts.  And, we get the lowest prices available.

Edited by RocketMan275

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Cruise lines, like airlines and Vegas hotels want to be as full as possible.

With cruise lines and Vegas hotels, the amount you spend while there is a significant profit point.  For airlines, the added cost to fill the seats versus flying them empty is not much, so they can make a few bucks even on low fares.

So, a long ways out, prices are low as no one has booked.  At it gets to the normal lead time for people to book, the prices go up.  If there are any special occasions (big holidays, special events, etc), the prices go up.   As it gets close, the prices may go down to fill up the last remaining slots.

But take a desirable cruise, at a peak time, and prices will not go down.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2021 at 6:18 AM, SRF said:

Cruise lines, like airlines and Vegas hotels want to be as full as possible.

With cruise lines and Vegas hotels, the amount you spend while there is a significant profit point.  For airlines, the added cost to fill the seats versus flying them empty is not much, so they can make a few bucks even on low fares.

So, a long ways out, prices are low as no one has booked.  At it gets to the normal lead time for people to book, the prices go up.  If there are any special occasions (big holidays, special events, etc), the prices go up.   As it gets close, the prices may go down to fill up the last remaining slots.

But take a desirable cruise, at a peak time, and prices will not go down.

Since retiring nine years ago about the only cruises we take are booked inside the final payment window.  Anywhere from 3 days out to five or six weeks out.   We watch pricing and get to know what a good price is and what an average price is.

We have done numerous last minute Med cruises while on land trips.  Also had some fabulous deals on last minute  Xmas and March break cruises out of the US.  It is a little challenging for us as we only want a balcony cabin or better.   

We often book while we are on an extended land trip.  We never get attached.  If we can get the cruise at the right price we will book.  Otherwise we walk...and continue on with our plans.   Air can sometimes be an issue.  Over the past few years we have found the pricing on some international routes to be just as good a week prior than they are three months prior.

On one occasion,  prior to retirement and after discussion with our TA, we actually cancelled a cruise just prior to final payment.  Picked it up three weeks later for a $500. saving per person.

We pick the itinerary then watch pricing of two or three ships.  When our price hits we book.  Not looking for the very lowest price...just a good price.  Sometimes it does not happen, other times we win.    

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Prices go up, and down over time

Here are price tracking for three of our upcoming cruises

Dec 2021: Latest price drop is the day after fill due:

image.png.440f432f28bf6968a82e08b2d306b389.png

And not all rates change in the same direction; 

Here is our January Cruise: Final Payment coming up

image.png.6f1753c9c9c894dae90b96dc096813db.png

And sometimes one moves - but the other classes do not

This is late 2022: Final payment still a ways out:

image.png.9993c1f16723e32fb6e34bbe231ac704.png

In short: find  price you can pay...and go with it

If the price goes down from what you booked - you "MAY" be able rebook to get a price reduction - or additional benefits.

If the price goes up - pat your self on the back how smart you were to book when you did...

Some people claim the lowest price is when released, or just after final payment is due, Your Cruise May Vary...